Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Eunice - Friday 18th February - Wind & Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

More than likely Sligo and Leitrim will be added to the warnings tomorrow morning when there warnings will be updated. Possible Orange warnings for there too. If the ICON and Arpege verify close to a Red warning for the northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It seems we have to look west, very far west for snow this winter. Canadian snow - hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The ICON model, first out today, continues to put the track further south and thus bringing some significant snowfall for the southern half of the country overnight Thursday and clears it off smartly Friday morning.

The strongest of the winds remaining off the south coast under this scenario

GFS track further north ergo wind because the main concern. Snow mainly for Connaught and most of Ulster. Isobars getting really tightly packed, Thursday night and into Friday. Some damaging gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

ICON sticking with the track south of Ireland. Probability of that happening is 2/3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Packrat

Thank you. I'll also feel free to stay if that's ok with you? Or even if it's not.

Lol at the triggered ones going all defensive..

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Back on the GFS. The control takes a more southern track bringing snow for most Thursday night and in to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Wow didn't know this thread was here, so glad someone opened this up, Friday looks bad enough not sure for snow but the wind and rain will be something else

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Dude you literally got triggered by people discussing weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Westerly winds associated with Storm Dudley will reach mean speeds of 50 – 65km/h with damaging gusts of 80 – 110km/h, stronger on exposed coasts and on high ground.

A combination of high tide and strong winds will lead to flooding on exposed coasts.

Valid: 12:00 Wednesday 16/02/2022 to 12:00 Thursday 17/02/2022

Issued: 16:34 Monday 14/02/2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I would agree with packrat to a certain extent, I don’t like the look of this and yes I know it’s been the most boring winter we’ve ever experienced!

You cant even get a plumber or electrician to turn up these days , what chance would you have getting your roof tiles replaced!

🤞it’s downgraded

Downgrade the wind, upgrade the snow.

Wind events are overblown anyways... 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think its the possibility of snow most of us are egging on. I know there are some who love storms too but I'm too much of a scaredy cat. Darwin was petrifying down here and Ophelia not much better. Give me a harmless 6cm of snow and I'll be a happy boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I don't ever remember a system moving up from the Southwest like this one providing snow! For me it's a complete non runner and the uppers will be tweaked back as we get closer.

Where's the cold coming from?

Re the winds there is a risk of something significant, perhaps a 20% chance. Could go either way but the trend is that the low will cross the centre of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Yep no way we will get low lying snow. It will track over or just to the north of us which is no good. Perhaps some snow on mountains in the northwest but that’s useless for most of us. Just the usual strong winds and heavy rain causing misery for most of us.

Yes, I'm in somewhat agreement here. I cannot see the uppers as currently progged delivering much in the way of snow away from the upland areas of the northwest and perhaps at lower levels across Fermanagh/Cavan areas. Sorry for the negative thinking on this, normally I'm on the optimistic side of snow forecasts, but this at the moment looks like a cold rain event for most. I can understand the build up on here though, it has been a horrendous winter for snow-watching. Even the storm-watching had been poor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Tend to agree with Danno and JS. Assume it is how quickly the cold air is reaching us (less modification) and the heavy convection that has the potential to overcome some of our usual snow issues but I have me doubts.... Still worth watching closely

Post edited by Rebelbrowser on

The jma doesn't develop any system at all which is a bit odd. Hard to judge ecm as its between time-frames.

I wouldn't be saying much about Friday yet if I was Met Eireann lots of variables from a severe wind spell to zilch!

My punt right now is a yellow type event with orange for coasts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The ECM chart looks quite severe to me in terms of wind although the worst may just miss us to our south. For those asking about where the cold for the potential snow comes from, it is from cold air being wrapped around the storm's circulation. Lots of cold air is spilling into the Atlantic from Canada. If you search for the uppers chart, you'll see that they could get as low as -4 to -6C for the Azores. That risk seems to have been downgraded today away from high ground apart from maybe the northwest. Still time for northwards corrections bringing more severe winds onshore or southwards corrections allowing for more in the way of wintry precipitation.

• Advertisement

Not sure where you got that ecm timeframe from?

Wow that's hurricane force to our Southwest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

If you go to the ECM page on Meteociel, you'll see an option saying "CEP/ECMWF 0.4°". Click on that and you'll get the ECM in 3 hour timeframes and also the 6z and 18z runs (which only go up to 90h)

Ukmo for same timeframe!!

Only just figured out how to get other timeframes thanks Artane!!

A serious storm potentially

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM, UKMO, ARPEGE, GEM and GFS all showing a severe storm, GFS's track taking the worst of the winds just off or along the S coast. ICON has the storm much lower keeping the strong winds off the coast but this has been at odds with the other models for a number of runs. UKMO is the strongest followed by ECM and ARPEGE. Current charts, I stress current as all this can change, are showing high end Orange and Red warning wind potential , for now showing the Southern half of the country getting the strongest winds and probably coastal counties the strongest but the whole country could experience strong winds at some stage. In a way it is not a huge storm in size but very tight compact isobars will probably give some areas very severe winds. A long way to go and might end up with a very different track yet which would have huge bearings on wind strength and where might get snow.

ECM showing pressure readings of 1000hPa at 16.00 on Thurs and 968 hPa 09.00 on Fri, a drop of 32 hPa in 17hrs.

Fast moving rapidly deepening storm being powered up by the Jet with a steep thermal gradient.

EDIT: changed 100hpa to 100ohpa

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looks a Darwin repeat but not as severe. Snow will be short lived and even if it lies it will be gone in a matter of hours while the windy spell approaches. Certainly a lot of storm potential even after Dudley and Eunice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Cork2021

An ole easterly and a big rain event…… (dreaming)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭squarecircles

i love the aul boards.ie weather pessimism, all secretly hoping for the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

My take on this is more towards the ICON, keeping the strongest winds at sea and maybe brushing the south coast. Snow will be quite disruptive along the southern half of the country for a time early Friday morning. Southern England are in a wild one if this track verifies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

On Fri the 528dam line will be below Ireland. I reckon there is a fair possibility of a dumping of snow in the W, NW and N at least or more like the top third of the country once the storm doesn't stray too far North. The storm should pull in plenty cold air from the NW and with the low pressure bringing the cold closer to sea level. Looks like plenty of wintry showers to follow on Friday across the country and temperatures keeping well down and perhaps a second front producing snow early Saturday.

On a side note with a temperature gradient like that I wonder are we in for a sting jet.

Advertisement