Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Eunice - Friday 18th February - Wind & Snow Potential

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ah don't say that I was hoping for some snow here in carrick on Shannon, I hope your wrong 😔❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The big news today is the late development of the storm! It doesn't even exist at 48hours so the timeframe for this to develop is like a 12 hour window. So for now anyway a red (re wind) is gone a solid orange looks favoured for coastal areas.

The other big news is the system races through in a couple of hours so eventhough many could see falling snow it moves off much quicker than what was on offer yesterday..

So in summary a downgrade in both wind and snow but worth watching because its still quite a potent depression!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The orange warning for Donegal appears to be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

Those snow depth maps are nonsense. They are never right. Maybe a pile of wintry precipitation will fall but only a fraction will stick. I'm afraid I'm a non believer. System will track over the country and won't be as bad as looks now.

Forecast will be like

Now: snow in the North and Central Areas

Tomorrow: some of this will fall as snow in Central and northern areas

Thursday: RAIN with some snow at times also

Thursday night: Outbreaks of rain or sleet with some snowfall mainly over high ground.

I've been stung too many times before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Can anyone tell me the likelihood of snow in the south-east, and whether the storm will continue into Saturday? Of course, I have plans on Saturday that I hope aren't disrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

With this on show by the ecm for Friday morning the Met will be wide awake for next 24hours! Minuscules away from something very severe!!

In fairness these kind of features are unpredictable and dangerous. I doubt this one will be bad in Northwest. More a Central hit to me re any snow but wind could be severe in Northwest like Barra.

Friday morning

At least RTE will be entertaining over the next day or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

Very true, I feel ashamed, stupid question 🙄 ⛄️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This is looking like a vile system for England. Hurricane force winds overland? That won't be fun.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seems like it could snoop South of us and hit Central/Southern England badly alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah, I looked again and the Netherlands will be getting an absolute pounding from it if the GFS stays as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

England to get the hurricane force winds and Ireland to get the snow 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

I always get overly excited when I see Kermit has started a weather thread, means possibility of exciting weather event and dare I say white gold 🥳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

That would make a rare change!

Another few minutes for the 18Z run to start rolling out. Hold on to your hats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

ICON 18Z little further south again

Icon doesn't develop the low at all.

We need the low to develop to give decent ppn in order to assist evaporative cooling!!

We need a decent gfs pub run as I'm getting more and more sceptical that the event is slipping away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

With a range of options on the table, the current forecast should be based on consensus rather than trying to guess which one has the edge. The consensus looks like a track from west Munster to Wicklow and across Wales and the UK midlands. This would suggest some heavy falls of snow on higher terrain in Connacht and Ulster, mixed falls at lower elevations there, a flip from sleet to rain in coastal Leinster, and milder temperatures for the south and southeast leading to mostly rain showers ending up with mixed wintry showers in the colder wrap-around phase.

That is however just the balanced mean of several different possible outcomes. The public will have to be patient as forecasters have only these ten or so models and do not possess powers of precognition. Therefore almost anybody can make a forecast based on the evidence available, there is no "secret model" that "always works" available "only to the pros." Or if there is, they don't use it.

• Advertisement

So that's the gfs take this evening!

A significant nudge North again with the snow risk also moving North. This is hurricane force just off the south coast. It only needs a fraction of a change to bring the South Coast into red territory for wind. As ever more rubs needed but for now the downgrades have stopped and things are slowly swinging back to severe!

Also just a comment about model performance for about half a dozen actual snowstorms in the eastern U.S., this past two months, there is no clear "winner" or "loser" but the GFS has appeared to be somewhat underperforming, the ECM rated as inconsistent, the ICON was never right when it went off on a tangent, the GEM has probably done best by a slight margin (and this is unusual). The UKMO is not that widely consulted but didn't seem particularly on the ball.

There was one storm that continued to edge further north and west right up to game time and all the models were wrong to some extent. Other storms had a clear pecking order. The North American short-range meso-scale models did well, so perhaps the analogy here would be to consult those models with 24-48 hour time frames and finer grids.

The climatology part of my somewhat double-hemisphered approach says, if Wednesday hits 12-14 and Thursday cools to 5-8 then the most likely "second wave" signal is 7-10 C. You see a lot of those three-day sets in the climate record indicating a certain preference for latitude banding of dropping jet stream two-wave solutions (which are frequent). A very mild to snowstorm three-day sequence is rare although not absent from the records.

Coupled with a Winter with almost zero frost all goes against snow sticking. Having said that if the ppn is extremely heavy it would have no choice but to stick and possibly quickly melt afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Will the school's be shut nationwide? I wanna sit on my arse all day watching Netflix. Maybe looking out the window in my warm PJ's drinking cocoa every now and then. Sure the schools haven't shut for over 2 weeks. It's ridiculous. 🤣

But seriously, I'll be at work. Hopefully we get some action. Non devastating, just some nice aul weather to fill some cravings. A little bit of snow is great for moral.

If these charts keep up like what gfs shows the UK Met will certainly see red which could well sway Met Eireann to do similar for coastal areas..

You just can't call it!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The downgrades in terms of snow continue with the pub run and a shift to the north with milder air in general.

The earlier GFS runs had an ice day which was simply never going to happen, not from the Atlantic.

Temperatures now in the 2C to 6C range which is a bit more sensible given that there is several thousand km of sea track involved.

Cold rain for most eastern, southern areas with uppers of around -4 to -6C, very marginal stuff.

Lying snow mostly confined to midland, mid western and northern areas of a few cm but with 10cm+ mainly over higher ground and inland areas.

Looking at the daytime temperatures and the uppers, I don't see how there will be much in the way of lying snow in low lying areas, anything that falls will be melting all the time so it's going to have to be very heavy snow to keep a covering intact. Also add in the fact that the land is far from cold. We've had barely a frost since December so the ground is not in any way cold so conditions are not going to be great for lying snow.

On to tomorrow, tomorrow could be very different again.

Just back to the models for a moment, ICON 18z is really an outlier at this stage with how far south it wants to take this system never mind the depth of the system.

The track is everything here. That's what has to be nailed in the next 24 hours. Relatively minor changes synoptically in the track has big implications for who gets what at more macro levels. This is a complex and fast moving event. Really anywhere in the country should be expecting disruption Friday morning. Not to say it will happen everywhere but it's always better to be wary.

I agree somewhat with @M.T. Cranium but the view on the extent and elevational aspect of snowfall I don't agree with although he acknowledges it's the median, as he observes, he is working off. I think it will be more widespread than that although depending on the track timing comes in to it too. It could be it starts as snow in East Leinster for example, back to rain for a couple of hours, then snow again as it clears. Or it could be snow there throughout.

For the northwest, north midlands, most of Ulster and Connaught at low levels i'd be currently eyeing 10 - 20cm and possibly locally more and that's a decent enough amount. This extends in to Munster as well due to the tight wrap around of the occlusion.

There is so much variability involved it's impossible to be nuanced even at this point really. You can only go on the evidence in the round and intuition.

But we'll see. 😀 Hopefully tomorrow evening we'll have a much more coherent view of the track here across the models.

The arpege further North and deeper!

90/100 mph off the coast of Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

any further nudges north and some of us may have a problem

• Advertisement

The 18z control trickling out now keeps the cold uppers very much in situ with the ppn further South. Somewhere could get pasted, like Midlands etc

Ah here now,Arklow has had 18 frosts since Jan 1st alone 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Finally something exciting weather wise. Apart from one or two stormy days and some thunderstorms around New Year, it has been one of the most boring mundane winters in South Donegal. Next few days could certainly bring something wintry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Arklow and the far south-east of the country probably did better from the high pressure in January in terms of frosty nights compared to the rest of the country. In meath we had about 2 proper nights frost in January but parts further west and north had barely a frost, a few hours at most here and there and very little sign of frosts by morning.

I don't know. From past experience he tends to overhype a potentially promising scenario, while more realistic posters tend to play it down, resulting in recriminations all round when the inevitable happens, and invariably these threads come to a toxic end. Sorry to be Mr Pessimistic, but that's just the way these threads go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'll settle for snow thanks. Boris can have his slightly windy day

Currently perched at 167 asl overlooking the SW Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Is this it?

You know the memorable event of the Winter or are we to be missed again?

Even if we are it's not really a surprise as this is a small deep system and only starts to develop on the jet from Thursday morning so could end up South of Cork in which case a lot see snow or direct over the centre in which case just the North. They do tend to veer slightly more North so some Coastal areas might well be in the Red zone for wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Storm Franklin Saturday morning????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Met Éireann having an rte jizz moment again. Storm how are you.

Aside from the fact that is total nonsense there are other threads, you don't have to use this one 🙄 Everyone's contrarian view and debate is welcome. I don't see anyone being more "realistic" than anyone else. I'm comfortable with my own track record FWIW and these threads, and everyone's threads, tend to be informative and fun for the most part

Anyway, following today's model runs I remain on the bullish side. Hopefully by tomorrow evening we should have a much clearer picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Calling time on ya Kermit.

But there's always time for another scoop, another Muppet Show encore and another twist in Irish weather watching

ECM 18z is a slight upgrade on the 12z. The system a smidgen bit further south. The center remaining off the south coast which would be perfect. You can see how the temperature gradient is getting squeezed and, with time, gradually lower on the northern flank as the front slides eastward.

I'd be content with that if it was still there tomorrow evening.

It's all about the storm this morning!

Ukmo early hours Friday! A certain red!!

And the gfs a frame later!

Storms and snow are not a match. This one's most definitely a storm!!

The icon still wanting to keep things off shore. We miss the storm but the South gets pasted!

And last but not least the GEM

So where are we this morning. The storm has nudged further North and so has the snow risk. A larger mild sector now showing at least temporarily! The wind is my main concern especially for my location. Methinks a red for Clare, Kerry and Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Fingers crossed for icon trend to win out!! Dont like those winds on south coast.

The ECM and Arpege look to be on similar tracks now, through the inland south. That would tend to maximize the snow potential in central and northern counties, and keep extreme winds somewhat off the south coast (the strongest gradient depicted is a little too far south, although the winds coming in from the northwest into the Atlantic coast would be considerable).

As JS has summarized, some models are a bit further north and the ICON is well south.

Part of the problem for the models is that this storm has not really formed yet, it is supposed to develop very rapidly tonight along the frontal boundary laid down by departing Dudley, in a zone to the north of the Azores, and then whatever forms will run up along the frontal boundary wherever it stalls on Thursday night. Different models are estimating different locations for all that.

I have included a satellite image here which may update for later viewers, check the time stamp on it, but at present you'll see that in the central Atlantic there is not much development around 40N along this long trailing front; that is where Eunice is going to pop out into the world later.

Look for the enhanced cloud (jet streak) near 40N 40W and this is the general area of storm formation. They have a dedicated dropsonde indicated on upper air charts, there is an extremely strong low level jet in that area, 130 knots at 500 mb and 100 knots at 700 mb. These are very high values for those levels. At 250 mb it is a somewhat less unusual 200 knots. Those winds are howling away over top of a strong "thermocline" where the cold Labrador current has made a dent in the Gulf stream (SST values range from 2 C to 17 C over a rather short distance). But there is no organized low pressure system there yet, nor will there be much even by mid-day ...

The RGEM model which has a finer grid than the GGEM shows slow development to 12z Thursday (it is now 06z Wed) with a 997 mb low forming by that time at 47N 25W. By 36 hours this is predicted to be close to 50N 17W at 969 mbs and undergoing capture by a developing upper low.

Would say that there is so much development potential here that tracks cannot be entirely trusted yet, and certainly with those upper level wind parameters there is a risk of a damaging wind event in the south and/or southeast depending on track.

I don't think we're going to know the answer to the track mystery until well into Thursday at the rate this comes together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

ICON has it a tad north compared to previous runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Spare a thought for our "Dublin is the centre of the universe" snow chasing posters:

• Advertisement
Advertisement