Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

  • 05-02-2022 6:35am
    #1
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭


    .



«13456730

Comments

  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭OSI


    Much rumoured spin off series starring Pike confirmed:

    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/05/star-trek-will-go-to-strange-new-worlds-in-new-spinoff-series/?amp=1
    Star Trek fans who finished season 2 of Discovery and are clamoring to see more of Capt. Christopher Pike helming the original starship Enterprise are getting their way, as CBS has announced a new series putting Pike, Spock, and Number One back on screen.

    Star Trek: Strange New Worlds will come to CBS' All Access streaming service, the network said today. Ethan Peck will reprise his role as Spock, the Vulcan science officer originally portrayed by Leonard Nimoy from the 1960s. Anson Mount, who played Pike in Discovery, and Rebecca Romijn, who played first officer Number One, will also reprise their roles.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Bobtheman


    Really?

    But big problem is we know how Pike dies?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape




  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Bobtheman


    But we know how he dies ???
    That's why we had a new time line for the re booted star trek movies to remove that problem


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms


    Oh cool. Can't wait. Love that trailer they even have the proper music in it. We might get a Star Trek show that is al about what Star Trek is supposed to be about, optimism, hope, no greed, no hate, a better time, with humans and other races working together and getting to explore strange new worlds. I have some ideas alreay of what they should do and where they should go. Hopefully it will not mean every episode is linked to the next but still have good character development. I have been watching ''Vagrant Queen'' lately and the character development in that is very good.

    Live long and Prosper

    Peace and long life.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy


    Just hope they don't go the dark moody route they seem to enjoy taking. Think the main reason I and I'm sure most people liked these characters was that they were more lighthearted, as seen in the Short Treks as well.
    Now the question is do we ever want to find out Number One's real name, assuming that's not actually her name?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Bobtheman


    Hello we know he can't die !!!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts




  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape


    Bobtheman wrote: »
    Hello we know he can't die !!!

    Everyone dies in the end.

    We can still watch to see what they get up to before that.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp


    CoVid notwithstanding, production should be relatively simpler you think, considering the primary ship sets are already built - or at least present to reassemble. Ditto costumes. So really they'll just need locations for planets and episodic interiors.

    Cautiously excited about this. Be funny if the happenstance spin off became the main attraction in New Trek


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts


    pixelburp wrote: »
    CoVid notwithstanding, production should be relatively simpler you think, considering the primary ship sets are already built - or at least present to reassemble. Ditto costumes. So really they'll just need locations for planets and episodic interiors.

    Cautiously excited about this. Be funny if the happenstance spin off became the main attraction in New Trek




    I think this will be vastly superior to discovery.
    The bar is set low so it would be near impossible for it to be worse.


    Add in that Pike was the best character in Discovery so no surprise I think this will be better


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Inviere


    It's funny, because if this show were announced before Discovery came out....we'd all make a collective groan, citing the lack of originality in making a show about Pike, Spock & Number 1 on the Enterprise before Kirk....and we'd have been right, we've wanted something different for a decades.

    However, after Discovery, a return to the Enterprise, Pike, Spock, & Number 1 seems like a step forward again :pac:

    Anyway, yeah, hopeful for this...Mount nailed the role (wasn't mad about the portrayal of Spock), so this will come down to the writing/production. I hope to god they don't start arsing around with Section 31, meaningless story arcs, & instead give this show some much needed sense of character.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts


    Would like to get some back story on how united earth / UESPA/ coalition of planets/ Starfleet transitions that took place during and after enterprise


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭AllForIt


    Goodshape wrote: »
    Everyone dies in the end.

    Yep, and sometimes they even come back to life.


    Anyway, hopefully the series will be boldly going.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Bobtheman


    Goodshape wrote: »
    Everyone dies in the end.

    We can still watch to see what they get up to before that.

    I disagree. How can you take any threat the ship faces with this knowledge? Pike can do what he likes.
    However I suspect they will address this issue in the first few episodes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy


    I guess it'll occur a couple times where Pike thinks "Is this what leads to my injuries?"

    And I'll admit to not having watched much of TOS but wasn't part of that show and the films Spock's character growth? But from what we've seen so far of this Spock, he seems to have more a personality. Though if I remember correctly from The Cage, he wasn't as emotionless


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover


    Yeah, this is great news. Pike and the Enterprise crew in general brought a bit of fun and life to Disco (As per other threads, I like Discovery but I loved the energy Pike and crew brought).

    I'd say they will keep it a bit more upbeat and episodic than Discovery and Picard. Think TNG with a smidge more fun. Just purely based on their depictions in Discovery. They all looked like they were having a ball.

    As for his eventual outcome, they can go seasons without delving into that. I'm sure there will be some who they should be going over timelines of series, books, games, comics, interviews, navel lint. But I really don't care. I'm just delighted it's official. We knew it was coming but it's good to see it confirmed.


    Oh, and can we get it over and done with quick? The ship is different from TOS Enterprise. The bridge is different from TOS Enterprise. There may be more diversity in the crew than TOS Enterprise. The aliens will look different from TOS Enterprise. Storylines may not gel 100% with TOS expanded timelines. Characters may act differently from their TOS equivalents. I have ZERO problems with that. If I wanted it to stick slavishly to TOS I would only watch TOS

    So in short: YAY!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Bobtheman


    Yeah, this is great news. Pike and the Enterprise crew in general brought a bit of fun and life to Disco (As per other threads, I like Discovery but I loved the energy Pike and crew brought).

    I'd say they will keep it a bit more upbeat and episodic than Discovery and Picard. Think TNG with a smidge more fun. Just purely based on their depictions in Discovery. They all looked like they were having a ball.

    As for his eventual outcome, they can go seasons without delving into that. I'm sure there will be some who they should be going over timelines of series, books, games, comics, interviews, navel lint. But I really don't care. I'm just delighted it's official. We knew it was coming but it's good to see it confirmed.


    Oh, and can we get it over and done with quick? The ship is different from TOS Enterprise. The bridge is different from TOS Enterprise. There may be more diversity in the crew than TOS Enterprise. The aliens will look different from TOS Enterprise. Storylines may not gel 100% with TOS expanded timelines. Characters may act differently from their TOS equivalents. I have ZERO problems with that. If I wanted it to stick slavishly to TOS I would only watch TOS

    So in short: YAY!

    I'm looking forward to it because musk as Pike reminded me of Kirk. The same easy masculinity. Not afraid to be vulnerable. I liked all the subsequent captains except Archer but musk reminds me of Kirk.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Bobtheman


    Musk could hang out with the crew. Picard was too aloof.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971


    After having forced myself to watch season one of Discovery and just about making it through Picard. I’m not even going to attempt to watch this. I’ll gladly watch anything before Discovery but I’m not subjecting myself to any of this new stuff again.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Inviere


    DMcL1971 wrote: »
    After having forced myself to watch season one of Discovery and just about making it through Picard. I’m not even going to attempt to watch this. I’ll gladly watch anything before Discovery but I’m not subjecting myself to any of this new stuff again.

    As much as I didn't enjoy what Discovery became, you can't right-off subsequent shows because of it. Watch this & give it a fair chance, at least then you'll be comfortable with your decision to either stop, or keep watching.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape


    Bobtheman wrote: »
    I disagree. How can you take any threat the ship faces with this knowledge? Pike can do what he likes.
    However I suspect they will address this issue in the first few episodes.

    But most episodes of Star Trek don't involve a life-or-death scenario for the captain. A few do, but most don't. I think it'll be fine.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    But from what we've seen so far of this Spock, he seems to have more a personality. Though if I remember correctly from The Cage, he wasn't as emotionless

    Yeah, I think it's pretty much established now that Spock was more "human" in his, relative, youth. It's a handy get-out for more recent produtions but I think you can see the evidence for it even in TOS and the original films. And certainly if you include The Cage.

    I'm not totally sold on this portrayal of Spock either though. We'll see. It's a tough character to get right, Nimoy's portoyal is too iconic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard


    Pike and Spock were a surprise hit for me in S2. I will look forward to this. Also, it will be much more episodic and optimistic than Discovery and Picard. So that's a bonus for me!

    Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Bobtheman


    I liked discovery. Good story telling. The lead was a bit full but besides that I liked It
    Picard had it's flaws chief among them being that Stewart was too Old but I'd still recommend it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Bobtheman


    Btw when is discovery back on !


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Evade


    Knowing Pike, Spock and the ship will survive would drain any tension out of scenes where they're in danger and I'd like to hope the writers would be smart enough to not put them in those types of situations but I wouldn't bet on it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3


    Seriously how many times do you watch a Star Trek episode and assume there is a genuine risk to the cast and crew in any encounter with anything?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Evade


    FVP3 wrote: »
    Seriously how many times do you watch a Star Trek episode and assume there is a genuine risk to the cast and crew in any encounter with anything?
    About 0.7% of the time.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3


    Evade wrote: »
    About 0.7% of the time.

    For me its 0%. I never everyone to die. Even watching the TNG episodes where the Enterprise blew up ( there were 2). Why? Because that would have meant the rest of the series would be about some other ship with a different cast.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp


    Tension doesn't mean thinking characters are going to die, otherwise no drama would be tense cos we know the main cast are safe. Prequels for me are only redundant, dramatically, if we've already seen the summation or most relevant part of a characters life. Han Solo, for instance as a classic example. While that can be said of Spock, we saw so little of Pike before Discovery there's more than enough emotional space for a prequel show to flesh his story out while having enough gaps to put tension in.


Advertisement