Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

pixelburp wrote: »
    Tension doesn't mean thinking characters are going to die, otherwise no drama would be tense cos we know the main cast are safe. Prequels for me are only redundant, dramatically, if we've already seen the summation or most relevant part of a characters life. Han Solo, for instance as a classic example. While that can be said of Spock, we saw so little of Pike before Discovery there's more than enough emotional space for a prequel show to flesh his story out while having enough gaps to put tension in.

I actually think it might increase the tension of the entire series if we know it has to come to a tragic end. Maybe they reshoot The Cage in the final episode, along with the subsequent accident mentioned in the Menagerie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

FVP3 wrote: »
    For me its 0%. I never everyone to die. Even watching the TNG episodes where the Enterprise blew up ( there were 2). Why? Because that would have meant the rest of the series would be about some other ship with a different cast.
    I didn't read the question as the entire crew dying and my answer was a joke in that a main character permanently dies in about 0.7% of Star Trek episodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

FVP3 wrote: »
    Seriously how many times do you watch a Star Trek episode and assume there is a genuine risk to the cast and crew in any encounter with anything?

I was never aware that tasha was leaving TNG, or Dax leaving DS9 at the time i saw the episodes, it was not like we lived in a time when spoilers were so freely available so them leaving did surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's Star Trek, not Game of Thrones. "No-one is safe" is not the primary driver for the show.

Even if we know the fates of Pike and Spock, there's still so much to explore. There'll be minor characters to kill off. Kirk was always a safe character on TOS but we had episodes like "City on the edge of Forever" where the character is put in a Superman style danger scenario where his vulnerability is through the people close to him. I'd like to see them explore Spock's relationship with Sarek. How does it deteriorate so badly that by the time TOS comes around, they won't even acknowledge each other when standing face to face.

And of course, there's Number One. It's setup so she, Pike and Spock are the trio of major players. So why is she never mentioned from TOS onwards? Why when Pike needed to be taken to Talos IV, it was Spock coming to his aid but Number One was nowhere to be seen or heard from? Number One, you in danger girl.

What I would like to see in this show

More Tellarites and Andorians since the coalition of planets has long since happened and is now Starfleet
    Less Klingon and romulan stuff that has been done to death and more Cardassian, Tzenkethi,and other non federation races of the Alpha Quadrant.

How other races like the Bolians, Trill etc joined the Federation
    Maybe the introduction of the earlier doctors like Boyce, or helmsman Sulu and other characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stark wrote: »
    It's Star Trek, not Game of Thrones. "No-one is safe" is not the primary driver for the show.

or, not Babylon 5 :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was never aware that tasha was leaving TNG, or Dax leaving DS9 at the time i saw the episodes, it was not like we lived in a time when spoilers were so freely available so them leaving did surprise me
    Me either. It was a great time to be watching shows on T.V as you never had to worry about spoilers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know I said about Pike wondering about the events leading to his death, but I think they should play with that in a way that he approaches some situations as "This isn't how it happens". Like it happens on a ship so he can do some crazy stuff on a planet knowing he'll be fine.

I really just want a sequel series that at least deals with the Conspiracy storyline from TNG

• Registered Users Posts: 30,815 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The cast in place is decent already, so will be all about the writing really. I just hope to christ Alex Kurtzman has very little/nothing to do with this on a practical level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Jesus I came in here thinking people would be as delighted as I am about this and I’m reading people moan about knowing that Pike can’t die/will die so there’s no point!

I haven’t really liked Discovery. Picard was a lot of Meh. This is hopefully everything I expect it to be. I want an episodic show back. Just give us episodes that aren’t serving an overall universe ending arc please. Please.

• Advertisement
    Ms

GSPfan wrote: »
    Jesus I came in here thinking people would be as delighted as I am about this and I’m reading people moan about knowing that Pike can’t die/will die so there’s no point!

I haven’t really liked Discovery. Picard was a lot of Meh. This is hopefully everything I expect it to be. I want an episodic show back. Just give us episodes that aren’t serving an overall universe ending arc please. Please.

I agree totally. I want to see the character developed over the course of the show yes but also want episodic episodes back not some big arc your supposed to follow because to be fair the only Star Trek show so far that has done the right and well I's DS9. I want to see hope and optimism in the show. I want to see a Spock without all the experience and logic that he eventually gets. Maybe he might even be a bit arrogant here too a bit like Shelby or Riker starting out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Cannot wait for this to air, i think it will be a lot lighter in tone and will have fun adventures with the crew. The Ship is different but good different, everything else i can and will accept so long as the writing is well crafted i am in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Oh I'm looking forward to it. So this will be the 4th series with Discovery, Picard and Lower Decks (whenever that finally comes out)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I am looking forward to it..I'm sure they will work out pikes dilemma easy enough. This is sci fi after all.

Looking forward to this. There’s no legitimate way of watching the short treks unless you’re American is there? Thought maybe Netflix but none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I am looking forward to it..I'm sure they will work out pikes dilemma easy enough. This is sci fi after all.

A wizard did it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think Pike's fate is that hard to square; Discovery established his personality as being rooted in a sense of Faith. As said already he could be a great mix of Kirk's emotion versus Picards intellectualism. We already saw him coming to terms with his faith against the knowledge of his eventual fate. No reason the show can't keep going in that direction, and how the Captain keeps going, knowing that training mission is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I am quite excited about it, I thought Pike knocked it out of the park as they say and Spock was an interesting interpretation of the character. What we're hearing about it being more episodic and attuned to concepts of older trek bodes well. It could still be a mess, terrible writers etc but I'll give it a go.

Off topic: Discovery has elements of greatness and I enjoy the show overall but god damn if Michael isn't the most irritating and overacted character in trek.

Ms

So what part of the Enterprise NCC-1701 under Pike are you looking forward to seeing and what crew member besides the three we know about are you looking forward to seeing? I think it will be interesting to see what sick bay is like on Pike's Enterprise and also who the Chief Medical Officer will be and what race too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another question is how much more of the main cast needs filling? Obviously we know of three at the outset - Pike, Number 1 & Spock; so I guess... what? As AMKC says a Doctor; maybe a couple of ensigns on the bridge for some "Klingons off the port bow" moments; a chief engineer or security officer perhaps. Beyond that I guess it also depends on whether there'll be an overall arc & antagonists for regular appearances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'd say they will go more episodic (But not back to Voyager's Big Red Weekly Reset Button. Most people don't want that: Tastes have changed, people want a stroyline they can get their teeth into. But it will probably be more episodic than Discovery and Picard.

They know there is no pleasing some Trek fans who resist ANY change - Sci-Fi seems to have more than it's share of toxic so-called "fans".

It will probably be a little bit more fun that Discovery and Picard.

As for the crew: Yeah, I'd say 3 more slightly-lower tier "main" characters after Pike, Spock and Number One: As stated above, a doctor, an engineer and maybe a security officer.

Interestingly I don't think Spock will be the "alien/other character" (Data, Odo, The Doctor/Nelix, T'Pol, Saru, the Samurai Romulan.... uhhh..... Spock). We are so used to Vulcans and his character has been so developed in Discovery that I think they'll have another species. Maybe the Engineer - Aliens have pretty much been on most other posts throughout the different shows.

I am looking forward to this so much more than what will surely be panto OTT shenanigans that the Section 31 series runs the risk of settling into (As someone said above: Give us DS9 Section 31 not Discovery Section 31).

Mentioned a while back I would like to see the introduction of people like Doctor Boyce, and maybe a young scotty or sulu, or even some crew who were there prior to "the cage"

There is plenty of scope to work within

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wasn't a huge fan of Doctor Boyce in the original. "Doctor or bartender?". Cringe.

Gary Mitchell/Elizabeth Dehner could be cool.

For the record, Discovery seems to be set after the events of "the cage". Not sure will they set this show in the same time or will they go back to the start when Spock first joined the Enterprise crew like in the Short Treks.

if set after the cage and before the kirk era, then the doctor could be Dr Piper.

Or even some minor role for a crewman leslie, one of the iconic redshirts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd say they'll go episodic but keep some overall plot line that get solved in a two parter at each half way point. Keep everyone happy.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

Wasn't a huge fan of Doctor Boyce in the original. "Doctor or bartender?". Cringe.

For the record, Discovery seems to be set after the events of "the cage". Not sure will they set this show in the same time or will they go back to the start when Spock first joined the Enterprise crew like in the Short Treks.

I suppose they could do that...but I feel it is a lot more interesting to see how the events on the Enterprise pan out in the years leading up to TOS. Might also be a good way to finish up the series with Pike handing the baton over to Kirk.

Mention of The Cage reminds me of that episode where Pike learns of his fate during Discovery Season 2. Trek loves a good "messing with the timeline" plot as much as the next person so perhaps that's going to be the Big Bad or arc? Not so much Pike's ultimate fate but rather attempts to dick around with that fixed point in time. The broad antagonist being either someone trying to prevent or hasten that fate. Could be an interesting dramatic angle if Pike has to fight someone ultimately trying to prevent his mutilation. Would put pressure on his sense of faith & spirituality.

Ms

I think it would be great if this show was set from the start of Pike taking command of the Enterprise right up to when it meets Discovery to see its perspective and right up until Kirk takes command of it. That would make for at least seven seasons I think.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Mention of The Cage reminds me of that episode where Pike learns of his fate during Discovery Season 2. Trek loves a good "messing with the timeline" plot as much as the next person so perhaps that's going to be the Big Bad or arc? Not so much Pike's ultimate fate but rather attempts to dick around with that fixed point in time. The broad antagonist being either someone trying to prevent or hasten that fate. Could be an interesting dramatic angle if Pike has to fight someone ultimately trying to prevent his mutilation. Would put pressure on his sense of faith & spirituality.

Can't say I would be mad about that. I hope they go for an episodic format but that they develop all the main characters along the way too. It does not need a season long big bad. Sure give us someone like the Klingons but not the Klingons and defiantly not the Romulans as they have been done enough. Maybe the Nausicans or some other race that we heard a small bit about but do not know much about.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Can't say I would be mad about that. I hope they go for an episodic format but that they develop all the main characters along the way too. It does not need a season long big bad. Sure give us someone like the Klingons but not the Klingons and defiantly not the Romulans as they have been done enough. Maybe the Nausicans or some other race that we heard a small bit about but do not know much about.

You can have both: I'm not advocating a purely serialised approach - but the reality is Episodic TV in its purist form, seen in TNG, is functionally dead. But you still have plenty of shows with more of a "case of the week" structure, where the episodes are bookended by the continuing Big Bad or main Arc. So while still visiting Strange New Worlds, there could be a lingering presence related to Pike's future. Just the fact it was set up as a big Character Moment in season 2 of Disco, it'd be a little passing strange if it's not integrated in his own show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

OSI wrote: »

How the hell did I miss this announcement?

Holy ****, this is fantastic news.

Thought it was never going to happen.

Advertisement