Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Great post, pity some of the gombeens working for the energy companies aren't on here to read it. With the day rates gone so high on the D/N plans anybody thinking of going that route need to do their figures, take meter readings etc and then make the decision.

Post edited by CoBo55 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just to confirm, I got a smart meter as part of the rollout in October 2021, swapped to day/night meter in August 2022, moved to Energia in October. Got deemed FIT for my November bill.

Nothing for the most recent Dec-Jan bill as expected.

A neighbour advised me he got microgen with ESB on his bill from Dec-Feb (not sure if metered or deemed FIT)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭snor

I had my D/n scheduled to go in but opted out when realized I’d have no fit. There was little in the difference for me tbh and I do think the smart plans will improve.

I just want to avoid the peak rate tarrifs and get a decent night rate. Have that now with current plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s me, I couldn’t find anything better than the Energia EV plan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I had my D/n scheduled to go in but opted out when realized I’d have no fit.

Were you on a smart tariff? You would have got deemed export as long as you didn't activate the smart meter.

i.e. you wouldn't lose FiT.

I do think the smart plans will improve.

Not looking likely in the short-medium term.

I just want to avoid the peak rate tarrifs and get a decent night rate. Have that now with current plan.

What rate did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Is that advertised anywhere or do you call and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Hi all, OP here. Wow didnt realize this thread had got so much use. Good to see.

Wondering if anyone is fully charging their EV on EI's Home Electric + Weekender plan? I.e the plan with free electricity on Saturday or Sunday?

I signed up to this this week, but hearing of limits to daily usage and fair usage etc. But I can't find anything online.

Worked out that 40% of my electricity is The Car so switched to this free electricity day plan to charge it up then (I do about 300km a week, i.e 1 full charge)

Thanks for any replies.

Told that even if hadn’t activated smart meted by going on a smart plan, would still loose FIT/not get deemed fit. Has to do with meter rather than plan they say. Also on website.

rates:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I called and asked for it, after they pretended it was the same price as what I was already offered, and after I broke down the vast difference in cost, they put me in it.

Post edited by colm_mcm on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Told that even if hadn’t activated smart meted by going on a smart plan, would still loose FIT/not get deemed fit

Others have had it swapped and got deemed FiT. A lot of these call centre staff just don’t know about FiT.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Yes, I signed up for that plan a few of months back, and have a very similar profile to yourself in terms of weekly mileage and charging. Since it started, I have been charging the car on Saturdays and that has mostly kept me going for the week until the next Saturday, so almost all the car charging is at zero rate. We've also moved some our regular stuff to Saturday - mainly washing machine and dishwasher (once during week, once or twice on Saturday) so it's working out very well so far.

There are no issues about daily or weekly limits as long as you don't go completely over the top on Saturday (or Sunday, whichever you have). At what point you would hit a problem I'm not sure, but movement of your 'normal' charging to Saturday is not an issue - that's what they want us to do after all. This was discussed a bit previously on this thread and there does not seem to be anything to worry about on this plan, and I have had no issues after about three months. A lot of the negativity was around a BGE weekend plan that was much more restrictive - different company, different offer.

The only downside so far was for a long trip last weekend - missed our 'free day' for charging so that was a bit expensive. That's only an occasional issue though so I'm not too bothered about that.

It really all depends on your own usage profile, but if one charge is enough to last you for the week, this plan has to be attractive.

Read up a bit too on best practice for battery charging.... a lot of advice out there, some contradictory, but it seems best not to let your charge go too low, nor to charge to 100% every time (I stick to 80% max in general). A small top up during the week might be advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

We just recently switched to the BG EV plan - I signed up for them on 2nd Feb and the site implied that it would take a few days and we would get a Welcome email when we were switched over. Finally on 13th we got the email and assumed we had just been switched and started paying attention to when we charged the car. Up until then we had just been charging whenever as we were on a 24h plan. Now today I see the bill from former providers EI saying it's until the 1st and looking at BG all the stats are up and showing where we've been charging in day time, night time even a couple of peak times etc for the 10/11 days in between - only in the last few days have we been scheduling it for the EV times. We definitely wouldn't have done this had we known we were already switched. I don't suppose there is anything I can do about that? Any chance they would give us a bit of a rebate?! I suppose we used the electricity and that's that?

So just a heads up for anyone else who is switching I suppose - assume you're switched from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Does anyone foresee energy prices to drop in the near future? Need to fix, but now worried i'll get locked into a poor plan.

What plan are you on and with what provider? It only costs 50 euro to change mid contact if something better comes along. All the signs are showing that prices need to drop substantially but nothing is happening yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Political pressure is being applied, I'd guess we'll see a reduction from May.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭John arse

Electric ireland spokesperson speaking the other day about the huge drop in wholesale prices reckoned 18/24 months before they will take affect(now that's spoof methinks)but they're trying to screw us all for as long as possible,it doesn't take 18/24 months to put prices up though-just gougers the lot of them!😤

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Im with BG free electricity Sunday. Works out fine for me, free juice from (9am to 17pm). Do all washing as well, so no, there is no limitation on usage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭KildareP

Bord Gais have a limit of 100kWh of "free" units per month - see Point 9:

Electric Ireland is a bit more vague...

"We may contact you if we think you’re using an unreasonably large amount of electricity on your free day(s). If we think you are using an excessive amount, we may take you off the tariff and move you to another tariff."

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/helpful-links/terms-conditions/residential-electricity-and-gas-pricing#SM8

Thanks for the info! However it would be very hard to reach 100kWh limit, considering normal household output for an EV charger be only 7kWh, so best case scenario EV takes 56 kW within 9am to 17pm timeframe, rest is washing, cooking etc., which isnt a lot really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

The limit of 100kwh is per month. So based on what you just said you would use it up in 2 Sundays...

It's 25 units per free day, I'd say you're doomed already😡

I take my words back, only after realizing 100 kWh is a monthly limit! :O that limit can be used in less than a week :(

my own fault not reading tru small print :(

Im partially saved by PV array that I have installed, however its no big help during winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭John arse

You can't even charge an ev with that-what good is that?🤔

Exactly, it's completely useless if you have an EV. The EI plan seems more suited to EV use.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

I signed up end of November.

Got to first bill and used 180 kWh free. So not sure if partial days in Nov, full Dec and mid Jan would mean 300 kWh allowed.

I don't charge fully just top up at the weekend as most of my charging will be done at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Has anyone here had a Smart Meter with poor communications reading fixed? we had a new smart meter installed last December as part of the roll out. I tried moving to a Smart Tariff (EI Boost) but I've been told it is only reading at level 1 and therefore not suitable for a smart tariff. I have raised a complaint with ESB but its unclear of next steps.

For the record, the metre is in the porch of the house in D11 - so shouldnt be an issue re connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Contract end day today for me with Bord Gais. I need to switch to another smart plan (smart activated) and have Solar PV also. Toss up between -

• Electric Ireland Home Electric+ Night Boost with cheaper rate between 2-4am, but higher standing charge
    • Energia EV Smart with cheap rate between 2-6am much lower standing charge, but slightly higher day time & peak rates. Catch with this is it's 24 month contract not 12 month!

I'm half tempted to go Energia as theres 160 euro difference in the standing charge which buys a fair bit of electricity, also the longer cheap rate is more useful. Two hours will get SFA into the car. I guess I can break the contract if rates change significantly.

Currently I can charge my EV during the 2-5am with BG or maybe 2-5.30 if it's quite low but moving to a bigger battery car so that will change too.

• Advertisement

Did BG offer you a retention deal? I see SSE have increased their new customer discount to 15%, most of their deals are 2 year contracts unfortunately, nice to see the discounts starting to increase again which is better than nothing.

Advertisement