Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭fafy

IN addition to BG high standing charges, for PV households, as important to factor everything into the equation.

Bord Gais export rate is one of the lowest on the market 18.50 cent, Energia is 24 cent, pinergy 25 cent, thats more than €300 less, in export credits, i would get from Bord Gais, than what i expect to export this year, with Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Units per year :-)

I have solar, 19 of them :-) I would like another 19 once I win some money

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

6.24c for 3 hours sounds pretty good. Do about 500km a week here so could probably get the charge needed in during that 3 hour window. Pretty cheap driving - even allowing 20kw per 100km, that would imply 100kw for a weeks driving and would only cost €6.24.

By the way. What's the maximum draw you can pull in your standard 12KV home single phase wiring does anyone know? Would EV, washing machine, dishwasher and immersion be too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Normally your main circuit breaker in your consumer unit is 63A. ESB breaker in the meter cabinet is 80A.

So add them all together and if you're less than (say) 55-60A (55A is about 13kW), you should be ok, but each circuit shouldn't be going over 13A (~3kW).

You'll have some circuits (like cooker, shower and EV charger) which will have a higher amperage and capable of pulling up to 6 or 7kW of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's worth adding that the voltage in your area makes a difference, ESBN guarantee 230V within 10%

207V at 63A gives 13.041kW

257V at 63A gives 16.191kW

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Based on the dimming we see here, I'd suspect we are below the 230v. In a large estate so I wonder if there is a big draw locally. Will do some sums and see what I come up with.

Grab a cheap plug in energy monitor, most of them can read voltage. Check it a few times per day

In any case, it won't actually make much difference. Appliances generally don't draw additional current to compensate for lower voltage

So your EV charger will draw a max of 32A, if the voltage drops then it'll just deliver fewer kilowatts to the car, it can't go beyond the max current

If you're in doubt it's worth getting an EV charger that'll adjust the current based on the loads in the house.

Mine has throttled a few times, mostly seems to happen in winter when the solar batteries are charging and the heat pump is going full throttle

Dishwasher and washing machine don't seem to draw enough to make much difference, unless they're all on at the same time

Have Tapo plugs but they don't report voltage or current. Just power. I have a multimeter actually so will use that now that I think of it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Worth measuring under load as you'll get very different results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Any sign of home EV charger installs getting cheaper since the grant was done away with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

Doubt it, the gounging on EV installers has been going on for years

The joys of trying to sign up for a plan, so contacted Bord Gais as the website doesn't read I have a smart meter. First person couldn't understand what was going on so sent me to ESB Networks.

Called them and they said the smart meter was listed no problem and all suppliers should be able to see

Called back Bord Gais who said I can't sign up for a smart plan, I can sign up for a standard day/night plan to move over. Then transfer to the smart plan

BUT

As I would be an existing customer at that stage I wouldn't get the 33% discount 🤔 even if I only moved over to get the 33% discount and smart plan.

So option now is to upgrade to Electric Ireland smart plan, which is a total rip off, then wait for that to update on system, then try and transfer to Bord Gais, which guy on phone said the discounts might be lower by the time all that happens.

F**k me but they seem to make things difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Don't go that route you'll get caught in limbo and be made stay with EI for I think, 90 days. BG are a dreadful company to deal with regarding meter changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

Did you recently get a smart meter? I did and had same issue. But got sorted and I'm on a smart meter tariff now. Got sorted in about 3 weeks.

Energia website thought I was still on 24hr meter. There is a dealy which ESB never told me when I contacted them, they just say all energy provider would now see I was on a smart meter. Energia told me about the delay which seems to be ESB enforced, not the energy providers.

Got it in Nov but never changed to a smart plan, they want me to change to a smart plan with Electric Ireland first before I can transfer to Bord Gais smart plan

My experience of BG from several years ago was that while the call centre staff are friendly, they have absolutely no clue what they're doing

After one particularly unhelpful call about getting a night meter installed I was left astounded that electricity actually reaches our houses considering the incompetence of everyone involved

Best to just keep trying and you might eventually get someone who knows what they're doing. You might be able to get BG to contact ESBN while you're on the call and see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Remember the call center staff have nothing to do with the supply of electricity. It's not even BG that supply electricity to you, they simply buy in bulk from the supplier (ESBn) and resell to end users.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

anybody know of a good electrician to come and see if fitting a charger will be straight forward or will i need to knock down the house and rebuild it for a new fuse board 😁

North Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭fafy

The companies that do charger installs, will usually give you an idea, but they need detailed information to determine that. For my one, i had to take pictures and do a video internally showing the route, as fuseboard is at the back of the house, and i wanted the charger out in the centre of front of the house and in a very specific locatiom, so charger could charge either EV, without moving them. This was a longish route, but they found a way, ending up coming from fuseboard into converted garage, then into a downstairs bathroom and out to the front, cable hidden behind conduit.

It can be a bit of a dose, but its a one off job, no issues 3 years later, and charger is in a perfect location, so thinking ahead, to a possible 2 ev household, is worth considering so the EV charger is in a good & central location.

I used : https://evpowerireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

I can recommend the company mentioned above. I used them to install a charger not streight forward route but made a very tidy job of it and extremely easy deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭rocky

I've a smart meter installed a month ago, but when I try to switch to another provider while keeping to non-smart plans, they are asking for the day/night meter readings, which I obviously don't have. Any way around it?

Board Gais seems to have a decent non smart plan.

Are you on a day night (MCC02) tariff now? If so the smart meter will be an RM108 profile and you'll be able to read the meter from it. There's a day register and a night register on the meter.

On a non activated smart meter, is night tariff between 11pm - 8am, no matter the time of year?

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

No. Night rate follows UTC time 11pm to 8am UTC. So that's 12am to 9am in summer. Regardless of smart meter active, inactive, or ye olde day/night meter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭lukas8888

As far as I know that is not correct.An activated smart meter is 11PM to 8 AM all year.

• Advertisement

That is incorrect.

If you have an MCC02 RM108 smart meter (IE a smart meter installed to replace a day night meter) then the time shifts from summer to winter like the old analog meter did.

If you have an RM106/107 smart meter running MCC01 this is 24hr.

If you have an RM106/107 smart meter running MCC12 or MCC16, these are smart ToS tariffs and the supplier can charge whatever time and whatever rate they want. Typically these offer lower rates between 2-4AM. These are not "Day Night" rates though, as "Day Night" is only MCC02.

Advertisement