Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭silver_sky

BG offered 7% off electricity and 16% off gas. The electricity discount is lower than they offer to new customers. I wouldn't stay with them though as they're only paying out the microgenerator payments annually whereas most others (except SSE who are twice a year) are doing it on each bill. They currently owe me over 200 euro going back to Feb 2022 that has not yet been applied to my account.

I went with Energia from the above in the end. The 24 months isn't great but I'll cancel if anything better comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

I'm in the same position with bord gais. I think they owe me €500 going back to March 2022. Have they indicated when and how they will pay it if you leave?

They have offered me 15% on electricity to stay so I'm considering it but this microgen thing is annoying me.

Payment in "March 2023 approximately" and will be able to do it by bank transfer. My account will have credit after the final bill so I'll be needing that back too. Any idea about the govt 200 euro due 1 March? will BG get it or will my new supplier get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sprocket123

Looking for opinions/confirmation on my thoughts please...

I have been notified I will be receiving a smart meter shortly and also have an EV (Tesla MY) ordered for delivery April/May. Looking at an electric plan for me given my expected usage. My best guess is that I will do approx 500km per week so using let's s say 100kwh per week. EI Home Electric+ Night Boost offers 12.65c per kwh between 02.00 - 04.00. I would estimate that I would get my 100 kwh for 12.65c * 14 using a 7.kwh charger (€12.65 per week cost). I'm currently have a 24hr meter and on a 22% discounted rate. If I change plans mid year I wonder will they roll over the 22% or will I need to negotiate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'm on the EI night boost plan doing similar km per week; 80km 4 days week & 40-60km rest of week.

2 hrs will get me 16% battery or 70km this time of year which is fine averaged over week.

You won't get any more discount than what offered with the plan even on retention deal, 22% not a hope!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Bit late now, but did you consider Pinergy EV tariff? Would your home battery cover your usage until 2am?

Looked at that also but the rate outside of the cheap period was over 50c. The Solar and battery should cover most but changing car soon and it won't charge in 3 hours anymore. Also for things like dryer during winter months I won't run it when we're asleep so put it on when night rate kicks in at 11 and I'm still awake.

You can remain on the current tariff. Once you move to a smart tariff its activated and you can only chose those. But before then you can just keep the plan and 24 hour tariff. Even at renewal you could just switch to another 24 hour tariff or renew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Only 3 hours though. I guess with my new 9kW battery inverter, plus 3kW eddi plus 7kW zappi, but limited to my 12kva connection which can do 15kW continuously, I could clock up 45kWh every day. Not nearly enough to heat a house in December though, never mind charging the car or heating the water. And their peak rates are eye-wateringly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is there a new customer/customer retention discount available from EI/BG in addition to the direct debit/online discounts for their night boost plans?

If so, do you have to sign up with them over the phone to get it or can you get it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

I am with EI & was last year. When my contract was up for renewal end of January i was offered 10% discount (39c per unit on standard 24hr plan). If i switched to smart plans there is not extra discount for being an existing customer. Its the 8.5% discount on boost & other smart plans.

Based on our usage we opted for Weekender plan. Free electricity between 0800 and 2300 on a Saturday. We charge the car then & it does for the week. Also have the washing machine & dryer flat out on a Saturday too.

Due first bill soon so will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Just decline the smart meter unless you fancy decreasing your tariff choice and being stuck paying more money for something of little perceived benefit.

I don't see how having smart meter impacts greatly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Excludes you from tariffs such as the Energia EV Plan with day/night dual pricing. In most usage situations, smart meter plans are considerably more expensive overall. Well covered here numerous times already. It’s a shame as smart meters are a great idea but it seems to have turned into a price gouging opportunity for Irish electricity providers.

I've checked Energia EV plan for DN meter and with reductions its day 47.77c and night 13.75c. EI smart plan with night boost has day 43.68 and boost 12.65. Now the night rate is 21.55 but my plan would be to charge EV during boost hours (7 days x 2 hours @ 7kwh = 98kwh) which would be sufficient to my usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

which is fine but means you have to plug in every night

no, its just a pain! may as well have a plug in hybrid 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And if you do more than 14kWh of driving a day it means you dont get the cheap rate.

I have 9 hours of 7c on the EV tariff, and I need it as sometimes it takes the full 9 hours to charge

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not if you have substantial solar PV, a big ass battery and a powerful inverter😁

Upgraded my main home battery to 50kWh last night (have another small 5kWh pack), 9kW inverter is there and have all the materials and panels now to go from 11kwp to 16kwp hopefully before the end of the month. All ready for the smart plans then and the very limited cheap night rate slot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wouldn't want boost rates if it meant the household rates would be more expensive. The smart EV plan with Energia would cost us €130 a year more on household use and that's factoring in the €60 higher day/night standing charge. We're a household of 2 with relatively low gas/electricity costs too so that would increase in larger households.

Maybe other people are different, I don't want my EV costs to effect how much my girlfriend and I pay on household electricity so I'm not trying to get the cheapest EV charging at the expense of the rest of the bill going up. The €27 a year I'd save with a 1c cheaper smart EV rate Vs the standard 13.x night rate isn't worth the rest of our day/night use costing more.

Personally i just want the lowest annual cost of electricity, given 50% of our usage, incl car charging, as at night, a day night rate makes sense for us. i dont think anyone is looking at it EV charging cost only, its just EVs consume a large amount of power so they are trying to manage their overall spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Energia EV tariff. I signed up last July and the rate was fixed for 12 months. Its currently 13,7c for new customers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

What happens to the March €200 govt handout if you change provider? If I change now to another provider for the EV plan, my account will still have some credit at the time of the closing bill. Is that refunded to me or pocketed by my existing lecky provider?

Also if I change providers online on the 20th of March and submit a meter reading, am I on the new provider rates immediately for all subsequent units?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭fafy

These are very much, circumstantial based decisions.

For those with Heat Pumps + 2 EV’s, and using timers on 6 To 7 am washing machine/dryer/dishwasher, + all heat pump hot water, heated at night rate, the 2 to 3 hour night boost low rate, is a joke, in that scenario, eg my one.

But leaving that aside, the thought of having to plug in EV, every single night, like my nearby neighbour has to do, with his PHEV, is not something i’d ever be interested in. Its severely restrictive. I charge once a week’ish, on D/N rate, job done.

Currently 55% of my consumption, is on the way lower Night rate, but that will increase beyond 60 %, once heat pump comes on less at night, for heating, in warmer weather.

can i ask why the heat pump coming on less would increase your night usage?

and for timers on the washing machine and dishwashers are they built into the device or is there any clever workarounds, i must figure out how to get our dishwasher to come on later.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

I've been following this thread for a while now. No Solar or PV and no plans for it as our current usage does not justify the outlay.

Will be taking delivery of an EV this month. Work are installing a charger and I will have free use of that ...... for now - this will probably change as more staff convert to EV's. Agerage weekly driving is 500-600km. I figure I will on most weeks get away with 1 home and 1 work charge (only there 3 days and I dont want to abuse it either).

We have had the standard 24hr (revolving disc) meter replaced with electronic D/N meter but have not signed up for any D/N plan yet. We are currently on level pay with BG and after the Government credits we now have a credit on our account of approx €700.

We have low enough usage currently anyway so I have a bit of hesitancy about signing up to a plan offering cheaper night rate and having to pay more per unit for general usage - nobody in the house much during the day and I don't really want to be limiting when I use appliances when we are actually at home.

I thinnk my plan for now will be to give myself a couple of months with the new car and charging and see how it pans out. My cocked hat justification for this is that I have €600 "energy grant/free money" there to play with which gives me the space to monitor how my usage and costs will change.

I plan to take weekly readings for the next 2 weeks (no EV) and for the few weeks after I get the car to monitor changes.

Might be a daft plan but it's the only plan I have for now🤗

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭fafy

Said it a bit arseways !

As weather picks up, less day units being used for house heating, so % of overall consumption on night rates increases.

= lower bills as less day rates being used.

Appliances:

Dishwasher is 13 years old and has a 3,6 or 9 hour finishing time buttons built in:

it was saucy when we bought it, its way up from the bog standard one, but very quiet(Siemens)

Washing machine & dryer are both less than 5 years old, and you can choose any finishing time.

Advertisement