Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think in that case - if your main inverter can't remove the export to less than 6kW , you'd have to get limiters on the secondary inverters.

The limiter/EPM works with a CT clamp seeing what is being exported and then reducing/eliminating production of solar. Essentially switching the panels off.If you have more than 6kW above the peak, and are exporting above 6kW, you are in breach of NC6 and liable to whatever recourse is available to ESBn.

The easiest way to do it is, either have less than 6kW in secondary inverters, or have some inverters limited in addition to the main inverter, or have a massive battery array, or some combination of the above. It's also unlikely that all your inverters will be producing their max output at the same time.

Take my example. I have a 8.2kWp South East facing array on my roof going to a 6kW inverter. If I add my ground mount array panels (and 5kW second inverter) at a much more vertical angle and facing due south, the crossover between the two will rarely add up to 6kW+5kW.

You just need to make sure you're not exporting more than the 6kW. Most people would get one inverter in and be done with it. The solar forum here on boards are full of diy/fiddlers like myself who cant install enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭snor

Quick question. Currently have smart meter and on EI standard rate. Have appointment to get D/N meter in. not sure now if I’m better off going for the EI smart boost tarrif or changing the meter and going for the energia EV rate. I know EI cheapest rate only for 2 hours and also higher standing charge.

I thought I would get deemed export but according to energia website, I won’t as i replaced the smart meter. Have a 5kw system and battery. I got €250 FET July-Dec.

what do you think? Not getting the deemed export had changed things a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is there any likelihood of suppliers reducing their rates in the next month or two?

The wholesale price of electricity fell from €276 in December to €162 in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think there will be a good chance of a reduction in rates, but not until the generous government giveaway is finished in a few months time. Of course, a lot depends on future geopolitics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Changing meter is now not a possibility for me due to varying reasons. Any suggestions on best smart tariff currently available today?

Also I have solar PV, so I'm disqualifying Bord Gais (current supplier) due to their atrocious export terms.

• Advertisement

Yes the sooner that nonsense stops the better. The inflation turbocharging, supply company pocket lining 200E grant needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

Prices should come down somewhat but not to 2019/2020 levels. Maybe for a few years anyway

The first government subsidy was in reply to the reopening across the world from lockdowns. Oil prices soared long before the Ukrainian invasion. Remember all the supply problems we had with oil tankers and even commodity/goods containers costing €20k? Most of them have been resolved now which is great news for us. I read yesterday that Iran’s secret fleet is also helping out Russia which will help alleviate before Russia gets it’s own fleet large enough. You may not like this but it will keep down oil prices across the globe (to some extent anyway). Then Europe’s new way of pricing electricity coming into effect, we have to see will that actually help or hinder. No opinion on that but as ever hopeful

I would imagine the subsidies will continue this coming winter though they may be targeted and only given to eg 20%. Not sure how that would work out but it’s just an inkling from past behaviour. Very hard to get rid of subsidy which all like

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Evening all, I’m curious as to the going rate for electricity, I’m on a day/night meter and was getting something like 41% discount (of their own made up unit rate) from Energia, which works out at 28.7 day and 13.78 night plus VAT.

Now my discount is coming to an end and they’re offering 10% off now, which is 43.83 day and 21.02 night plus VAT.

If I go on Switcher, I don’t see anything that’s cheaper than what I’m offered above, Even though 70% if my usage is night time, I don’t have an EV - but does that affect the rate?

I see this on their website, do I actually need an EV to get this:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭John arse

No,just say that you have one.They don't care anyway!👍

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Feck, yer man on the phone today asked me!

These are new customer offers many idea if they apply to retentions. I’ve been lied to about this sort of stuff in the past by Energia and they wait til you’ve actually left to give you the proper offer.

• Advertisement

I have PV Solar also and an EV. Decided against the DN meter and signed up for EI night boost smart plan. Seemed the best available. Low night rate and extra low for 2 hours. Day rate is cheaper than energia day rate on D/N. No peak rates. Will get FIT. Standing charge pretty high but seems to be for all the smart plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Have EV, PV & Smart meter (not activated yet). Had been manually recording my consumption over the past few weeks to see what % was day, night & peak - have been charging at work (@ 22 cent/kwh). My finding are in line with the clear message in this forum, day/night meter is the cheapest option at the moment, considering the "EV night rate" is so dam short, I've had to assume i can only half charge on the EV rate, the other half on the next best rate.

Anyway, i need to decide what to do. Should i ask my current supplier (SSE) for a day/night meter.. how will that affect me in the future? If there is something that I've missed let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭joe1303l

When I requested my day/night meter through Energia I was told it was free install from ESB but if I wanted it changed back in the future it may cost about €100. I figured it was well worth the gamble as my existing usage pattern was 55-60% on night rate hrs. Consensus is refuse the smart meter install as there is very little value for money on any of the current smart meter plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

May I ask how much power you are generating this time of year and is it a good effect on your bill? Your sheet says 3364kWh what span is that over?

Nice sheet much more presentable than my attempt!

Not too much, ive only a small system. Since we got the car last April & driven ~17000 km to date, it has used: Grid: 1397, Sun: 593, Work charging: 978 = 2697Kwh.. so approximal 20% green. In my excel, i've only use 10% to be conservative. Last 3 months were poor, but still happy the panels produces some Kwh's...

Remember you won’t get any FIT if you remove smart meter and put in D/N. I would still export a fair bit so was a consideration for me when considering changing to a D/N meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Are you sure you about that? I think there are people on here who have done this and get the deemed FIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭fafy

my understanding, is there is a “deemed” export amount calculated, based on the individual house setup, for those on non-smart meters, such as number of panels, and some other variables, for those on d/n meters.

Am open to correction though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Am I missing something or do you get paid regardless of whether you export anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Correct, you get paid regardless. Its a deemed export. They have no way of knowing how much you actually exported as the d/n meter cant record it. Its a short term solution until they can give us smart meters that can also do d/n tariffs..... expected in a year or two, so make hay while the sun shines in the meantime!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are you/they saying that the current smart meters are not capable of supporting a dumb D/N plan? That doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yes. According to Energia website anc customer service on phone. https://www.energia.ie/cosy-homes/energia-microgeneration-scheme. See third last question on FAQ

In my case, the smart meter was installed per the roll out plan. I wonder if i now request this to be changed to D/N, does that also allow them to refuse payout for FIT?

I'm thinking its not worth the grief of requesting the D/N meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

Im an existing Energia customer, was on flat rate.

Only yesterday I rang them and changed to the EV day/night rate. I dont have an EV but told them I had an EV coming in April, they were happy with that.

interesting item came up re smart meter/day night meter. I dont have a smart meter, having refused an installation last week. Energia said If I did have a smart meter, that ESB networks wouldnt swop it out for a day/night meter, and therefore I couldnt have availed of a day/night plan.

And from my own calculations, day/night plans are cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,878 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

for someones whose energia 41% discount contract is up next month (and that has an EV) whats the current best plan to switch to?

Yes you need to ignore the reps on the phone. going from a smart meter to a day night you still get deemed fit. I know because I've done it myself and been paid deemed fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There are a few scenarios here that need finer detail for people to understand it I think....

• If you are on a standard 24hr tariff you are eligible for a smart meter. If you refuse the smart meter then you are denying yourself FiT. This is the scenario that they always refer to in the FAQ's but it doesn't actually apply to everyone. See below.
    • If you are on a d/n tariff you wont be offered a smart meter (i.e. not eligible) as the smart meter cant currently do d/n tariffs. You get "deemed export" in this case. It is the best option right now both in terms of tariffs and FiT!
    • If you are on a standard 24hr tariff or on a smart meter (but not on a smart tariff) you can request to change to a d/n tariff. That is free to request and your right to do so. You dont lose FiT in this case. You will go on "deemed export" once you get put on your d/n tariff. This will then mean you cant be offered a smart meter due to point 2 above.
    • If you have a smart meter AND you have activated it to go on a smart tariff, it is my understanding that you cant then switch to a d/n meter. The "activation" is the key thing there. Thats not done by default. You would have requested that after you got the smart meter.

I think all the above is true. Did I make any mistakes there that need editing/correcting? The topic comes up so often it would be useful to have it written in one post.

• Advertisement

Yes all correct to me anyway @KCross

Advertisement