Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cathal44

Also noticed today adverts popping up in my yahoo mail (via desktop) indicating a €150 welcome bonus from EI for online sign up to one of their Home Electric + plans. However, when you click through to the EI site then no mention of this. Anyone know if this is still valid? This would make the nightboost plan attractive for an ev user.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

General advice is to keep the battery between 20% and 80% charged at all times so if you go with BG its ok to charge for 3 hours up to 80% every night. Will not be much difference in charging every night or every second night if you keep it in these ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Get an adblock, any of these floating ads are usually ancient and just drive you nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Metalpanic

Has anyone had an experience in choosing an electricity plan to suit both EV charging and the use of a A2W heat pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Liam2021

Got mine changed a few weeks ago. Energia put in the request to the esb. They did try to put me on a smart plan but i refused. I advised that i had spoken with the CRU who adivsed me i could get my provider to install a D/N meter. One i told energia this they had no issue changing the meter took them 3 days to get the ESB out. Seems like the companies dont make as much money on Day /night meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I switched to E.I in October and got the €120 alright (on Weekend boost - free Saturday or Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looks like my Energia bill is correct with 31% discount. No PSO levy though? No deemed FIT either as expected.

€130 for the last 57 days, not bad at all. Wasn't expecting any change from the most recent €200 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mingkim

How you going to get any charge in 2 hours ?? You might get 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is why you need a day night meter with 9 hours of cheap rate. My house is run on 7c night rate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Problem with the day night meters is you get a cheaper rate at night but then get fleeced during the day. Unless you're doing alot of mileage or staying up all night to do your washing it may not be worth it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm with electric Ireland on a day and night meter and I'm on 20 cent night rate between 11 and 8 ? Where am I going wrong ?

Im right now looking at switcher ext trying to get the best day and night rate .I also have an electric vehicle

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

You could get 45km per hour, so 90km in that 2 hour window. If you did only local driving Mon-Fri, then it's quite possible you'd be fully charged by the weekend where you might be going further. Bord Gais have a 3 hour window although some people don't like that they have a 5-7 peak rate. I've run the numbers for us and the Energia D/N meter is the cheapest overall for us, but only by €40 over the BG plan, which in turn is €30 cheaper than EI. So for €40, I'm not going to the hassle of getting the meter changed. Works for us, wouldn't work for those doing higher mileage or with a different usage pattern.

Who has the next best D/N rates at the moment?

As far as I'm aware the ev chargers on a house charge at max 7 kw per hour ..so two hours is 14 kw?

Maby I'm wrong but that's what my one is charging at and that's the max

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

Correct, and in most EVs 14kWh should get you around 90km of local driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

e.g. Energia 24hr plan right now is 43.60c (inc 10% discount)

If you went on d/n it would be 47.77/13.75.

That's an extra 4c by day but almost a 30c saving by night.

I'm not sure I would characterise it as "fleeced during the day". 4c is a small premium to pay to save 30c by night! It doesn't take much to make that pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭micks_address

It's 13.75c now, still by far the best on the market. 9 hours of 13.75c is unmatched.

Or just install some batteries and then you're running the entire house on the night rate. That's what a lot of us with solar PV do.

• Advertisement

Unless you do a DIY purchase/install, they dont pay for themselves. Everyone that I see calculating the ROI of batteries forget to include replacement costs as the battery and the more expensive hybrid inverter dont last for decades, like Solar panels do.

No offense, but you sound like someone claiming EV batteries need replacing after 5 years. Why would I replace LFP batteries in my ghome, they are rated for 6000 cycles to 80% typically. At which point they are grade B cells, and you know what, not only are they perfectly usable for decades afterwards, there is actually a market out there for grade B cells! Same for an inverter, hybrid or other you wouldnt need to replace them after a couple of years.

Buy CALB cells, from PWOD, you can have 10kWh storage for under 3k including a BMS. If your night rate is 13c and day is 44, that 3k is saved in no time.

I don't use night time rate for the washing machine/dryer as I won't let it run while I'm in bed.also the windows fog up with the heat and everywhere is just condensation.i do however use 20c night rate with electric ireland for the ev.i am with Ei currently at 26% discount and that's ending in March and the new rate is 10% discount sp everything is going up again.im currently thinking about solar but with my bills currently around 700 euro bi monthly.. I would be looking to half that in some way but I understand the invertor is limited to 6kw output so many shave off only a third off bill .I maby open to correction on that with people who currently have solar.

Inverter is not limited to 6kW, that's a falsehood that is permeating this place and others.

The limit under NC6 is that the inverter must be configured to export a max of 6kW to the grid. You can have 20kW of inverters once you don't allow export of over 6kW. Personally, I've exported 54kWh in the last 6 months so I dont think its a problem!

No offense, but you sound like someone claiming EV batteries need replacing after 5 years.

Not at all. I'm well aware of the cycles and lifetime of these home battery systems.

Same for an inverter, hybrid or other you wouldnt need to replace them after a couple of years.

I didn't say "couple of years". I said "dont last for decades", hence replacement costs need to be factored in.

So as I understand you it's ok to have an invertor say that can output 20kw to the house but how does that work out to limit it to 6kw to the grid.? House needs is supplied first I take it,then to battery or Eddie if you have one and remainder generated goes to grid if not needed.

how do you stop exporting more that the six kw unless the iverter allowed to be installed is only a six kw?

Thanks

I have a 6kW inverter. That's grid tied and has a CT on it. There is an EPM selection where you can limit or exclude export. I have recently purchased (from a boardsie!) a 5kW non hybrid inverter which I will be connecting to 5-7kWp of additional panels. I intend to add another few panels after that too, another 4kWp or so on my roof. Adding that 6+5+4 you get to 15kW. All except the grid tied inverter are dumb inverters. The 6kW inverter is the control and even if everything is generating at peak, will only allow 6kW to be exported.

Elm327 I've sent u a private message

Yes I saw that but as an autistic person I do not do phone calls so I will have to pass.

Happy to answer or help any specific musings here or by dm.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, no worry's ...so your saying I could have three arrays of solar panels each with their own inverter but one of them as the main inverter limiting the output to the grid to 6 kw via a setting on the inverter.the other two inverters could be ten kw each with no limit.ie..you can pull 20 kw from the two of them given the right weather/light....and the equivalent solar array connected to each one .....what happens to the AC I'm pulling from all the solars if I'm gone from the house and no power is required.does the solar power generated from the arrays not go anywhere? I know at least 6kw will go to the grid .? Sorry with the questions but trying to figure it out

Advertisement