Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think that would be a good idea too.

Some companies, both good and bad, are basically being named anyway, with "code" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Unfortunately the lads I promote are a little harder to ID subtly. You would be in Cxxxer with this Energy System is a little obvious 🙄

Oh well.

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

I know that you cannot slag off a company, as comments could be liableous, nor could you make a comment about another install as it could he heresay, but surely you can say that "xxx did a great job in installing my system" PROVIDED you have no affiliation with that company, and that you are receiving no benefit for the comment ?

Maybe a MOD can clarify this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fully agree.

The Mods won't reply though. They've bailed out as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭mrm

But this whole discussion is straying from the original request by 6 for just listing the company names with the quotes received - just associated information with no recommendations whatsoever. The PMs are not for recommendations but for identification of the company who provided a particular quote. This information could be within the individual post and then the PMs could be used for recommendations of a particular company (after seeing who received their quote). I have some quotes but I cannot see anywhere who also got a quote from the company I am most interested in to allow me to PM for a recommendation.

We could all draw up our own shortlist of the MEAT companies from the posts, include regional restrictions with some companies. Surely this wont put the mods out (enough to activate them anyway😄)!

Anyhow on a totally unrelated note; anyone had an install completed by a Roscommon installer who goes by the name "Sa(5 letters - opposite of 'over')(3 letters - male offspring) Solar"? PM please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As a Mod on a separate forum I can say I’m getting no reported posts since we went to the new Boards system so unless a mod chances across a post then it will easily slip by.

The naming of suppliers via “code” is a little sad though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭mrm

A bit of jest really at the nonsense of a community forum that doesn't fully serve the purpose...that's the sad aspect. An alternative method to propose?

Aligning a name to a quote is not a recommendation, nor is it exposed to shilling. The thread could benefit greatly from this at no expense.

For anyone interested in Solar as a Service, I found this article.

https://www.98fm.com/lifestyle/irish-company-installs-solar-panels-1166113

Ok got another quote for 8.2 kw with Eddie ,NO battery and what I think is NOT a hybrid invertor for 10,900...that's 24 panels...grant of 1800 to come off that ..am I right in saying that you NEED a hybrid inverter for to add a battery at a later stage ? Also they will fill out before the job the latest nc6 form for feed in tariff but ESB said I need the smart meter....even though I have a day and night meter which I think is compatible for sending kw to the grid.

..seems very professional with parts gaurentees and a full breakdown of labour and schematic diagrams and performance charts...is that a good quote ?

• Advertisement

So €9k for 8.2kWp ? Sounds reasonable enough. I think you should consider pushing for a hybrid inverter for the same price.

You can add a Sofar ME3000 Storage Inverter at a later stage onto which batteries would connect. And that can even be in a totally separate location to a Solar Inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry if I missed the precious quote, but if its €9k for a system without battery, what is it if you add a basic 2.4kWp pylontech or similar?

It will increase your grant amount and then you can just sell the battery so you may end up better off.

Also since when do you need a smart meter to do an install? Avoid the smart meter like the plague.

OP mentioned selling back to the grid, hence Smart Meter

OP avoid the Smart Meter as Phil says, forget about selling back to the grid, look through various threads here as to why

Forget the smart meter for now, get a small battery added to that quote and see what the price is, remember there is an extra grant available for the battery. For that many panels make sure its a 6kw Inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

First quote I've received in my solar quest from a local based company (Cork)

4.7kWp - 12 x Jinko 390 watt N type all black mono panels with 25 year full product warranty

SOFAR 5kW HYD 5500-EP single phase hybrid string inverter

2.4 kW Dyness Lithium Ion cartridge battery storage in expandable housing cabinet

MyEnergi EDDI water diverter

€7,500 after grant

Having read through these threads my first impression is it's a little on the high side but not outrageous. I'll continue gathering quotes but if anyone has any Cork based recommendations please PM. Thanks!

Can anybody send me a link as to why NOT to sell back to the grid as I cannot find the thread.

Thanks

Full thread here, right on the front page of the forum

PV Feed In Tariff — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

The straight answer is we haven't a Fxxking clue because the government has given Fxck all valuable information. We are all in the dark so to speak

Your spot on its good but over by about a grand I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Hmmm, have they been doing something they shouldn’t have been doing?

are they still in business? They seem to have dropped off the face of the earth since September.

They arranged my BER in my house in August, took over a month after it was completed to finally get told

[quote] “ I heard back regarding your ber, you are good to go for installation and reach the requirements for the PV Solar grant.”[/quote]

and they’ve totally blanked me since, I’ve had one response since on the 20th October which was a one liner.

[quote]”We apologise for the delay. We hope to complete your install within the next few weeks.”[/quote]

I’m only 30minutes from the guys house, so it’s not like I’m in the middle of nowhere and he’s dodging me because of that, definitely something dodgy, they won’t respond to me at all anymore.

I would warn anyone reading this to steer clear of them.

edit

added direct quotes from them

Post edited by CathalDublin on

• Advertisement

Old paid Advert, good luck getting them to actually do an install, answer the phone or even reply to an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was chatting to him for an hour a few weeks ago. Seems they are out the door with work which would be the same from a cursory look at other posts regarding other companies mentioned in these threads

I'd say the audit was just luck of the draw. Both passed without issue.

The other 2 of us had our ber assessments done by different companies clarified by seai.

Must be great to be so out the door your office staff can’t even respond to someone who they started the work for and who’s sent over all paperwork, etc.

”cowboys ted”

From what I gather sacha is on her own. Normally found a text to her got a response.

Do you work for them?

Seriously I’ve called and emailed a couple times per week since 20th October, I think they maybe gone.

I’ve never come across a professional company in my life that you’d to text the receptionist to get a response, I wouldn’t be getting into that

Don't work for them. Sacha isn't the receptionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

..... and this is exactly the reason why I think it's better to leave names out of it generally on the forums. Cathal, before you think I'm having a go at you, nope I'm not - and truth be told your not the first person to remark on that same experience if you read back through the forums. Then on the other side, you have many happy customers such as SouthWesterly, so it's obvious that they can be a bit hit/miss.

The problem of course is that 1 bad experience can massively flavor peoples mindset. Comments like "Cowboys ted", while it maybe 100% truthful, and (I've no reason to believe that it's not) it could be down to something as simple as having a few people out sick with covid...... or maybe it genuinely is the fact that their "useless". I've no real way in knowing, and I doubt anyone else can unless you work there.

I'm not a mod here, nor would I want to be :-), but probably best to stick to the mindset that we don't mention companies. Good or bad experience as this just tends to hinder more than help. Helping people analyse quotes or comment on options for installs helped many people here (incl me) . Don't see a reason why it can't continue to work

Just my $0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I had the same, no problem getting an email response, scheduled call on Mon with "G". I've about 8 different quotes at this stage, it's getting confusing, but they're one of 2 that I'm seriously considering.

As bullit said, could well be staff out sick with Covid. 4 of us got a system done with them in kerry. None of us had any complaints. 2 were audited and passed so quality of work isn't in question.

G did mention to be getting parts was becoming an issue but I imagine everyone is finding that to be the case with production facilities effected with Covid. We already know chips are in short supply.

• Advertisement

@bullit_dodger the ”cowboys ted” is just a joke from father ted, I don’t think I mentioned the company name anyway.

but seriously I think I’m just gonna go the DIY route as I don’t see them ever actually completing it.

and now I just noticed my original published BER on seai site is gone but the new one they organised isn’t there either, not sure what the craic there is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement