Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,256 ✭✭✭✭ DrPhilG

Too expensive. Should be around 6 or 6.5k max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭ MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pagan22

hi all ,i live in cork can any 1 pm me a good solar company in the cork ares for solar pv

• Registered Users Posts: 11 M1andM2

Hi all,

There is a massive range in price. We will be building in East Galway so unfortunately no grants, however if someone has a good experience and could recommend any companies please PM me. I'd appreciate any input.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭ SouthWesterly

To be fair Phil, that was a fun evening and worth the ludicrous quote😂

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ kennypowers

Here are my quotes utilising the helpful tips from this forum .I will list them in the form of distance from me .Starting in Enniskillen ,Sligo, Cork and finally Kerry

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4KW JA SOLAR 

4.8 KW PYLON TEC.

5KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE.

PRICE 10900 EUROS INC VAT.

GRANT APPLY TO SEAI 

no 2

• 12 x 340W JA Solar PV Panels (4.08kW
    • 1 x GivEnergy 5kW Hybrid Inverter
    • 1 x 5.2kWh GivEnergy Battery Storage
    • 1 x EDDI Power Diverter
    • Full Installation & Commissioning with Online Monitoring

=            €10,757.53 incl. VAT

€3,000 SEAI grant available on this system, total cost    =            €7,757.53

no3

5.12kW system with 2.4kWh Battery, Power Diverter & Remote Monitoring 

€11,990 incl. VAT €8,990 after Grant Payment PV Modules: 16 No. 320 Watt Solar PV Panels, Black. 1640mm x 992mm - Solis Hybrid Inverter, Single phase, dual string with Irish configuration - Pitched roof mounting kit incl. retrofit kit, bracketing, clamps and remaining materials. - MC4 Connectors, male & female - 2-Pole DC Isolator switch - IP66/67 - 4-Pole AC Isolator switch - IP6/67 - Operation & Maintenance Manual Provided - Fully installed & commissioned by a Safe Electric registered electrician. Special Features Included: - Battery Storage. Stores surplus energy for later use. - Wifi Remote Monitoring. Allows convenient monitoring of system performance from smartphone or tablet. - Power Diverter. Diverts all excess energy towards your immersion heater.

No 4

5 KW solis hybrid 5.3 KW waco battery 355 watt all black regitec panels solar i boost controler 0.00% 0.00 0.00 13.50% 1 0.00 SP001 on line monitoring portal

Net VAT Gross €10,572.69 €1,427.31 €12,000.00  After grant total 9,000.

Haven't yet pulled the trigger. I am inclined to go with Sligo /Dublin crew recommended here but see a good few poor reviews online re after service care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭ bullit_dodger

Went with the Sligo/Dublin guys myself (I recognized the kit anyway), and they've been fairly decent on the comms at least with me. Sure occasionally an email will be answered next day, or I've had to ping them....but nothing that i would consider noteworthy in a negative way. Yeah, we all want (incl me) answers immediately, but their response time is probably inline with what I should expect.

I also had a dodgy breaker which was only detected after install and while it wasn't fixed the next day.....they did sort it out within about 2 weeks or so. Is that realistic/acceptable? They had to have a spark in Dublin doing a job who called into me after finishing the other work, so it was probably is a reasonable timeline. (I wouldn't expect someone to drive explicitly for 1-2 hrs to install a breaker in isolation)

One thing Kenny, I'd probably advise you to drop the EDDI and get and extra 2-3 panels with the money. Yeah, the EDDI is nice, (got one myself) but in terms of generation you'd nearly be better off with an extra 1Kwp over a EDDI. (you can also sort of do the function of a EDDI manually if you have a battery) Course if you can afford both great, but 5Kwp will see you better down the road with EV's start to come mainstream .... and it's relatively easy to install an EDDI after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭ rushfan

Hi, I received the exact same quote, it's my third & I'm currently waiting on two more. Interesting similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ Mixupat

Hi All

Reading this forum and trying to figure out if I should look at Solar PV. I have an A3 Rating with heat and water by Air Source heat Pump. Overall my bills are around 1700 - 2000 Euro per year max. Is it worth looking into getting panels to reduce my bills in this scenario? Just thought it's a 2016 build so grants may not be possible. If makes sense, will PM for suppliers.

Thank You.

• Advertisement

Apologies for confusion, in relation to quote no 1.

Some times the non grant jobs are very competitive, the grant requires some unnecessary equipment.

Quote 1 and 2. See who can give you a discount. Tell each of them the quotes you have and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 poiedrws

Hi

A newbie here, im looking to get quotes for a solar pv installation in the limerick area. If any have any recommendations could you please pm me

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,596 ✭✭✭✭ BorneTobyWilde

Where does the batter go, is it safe having something so explosive inside. Even a cell phone going boom is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭ graememk

Nearly all if not all of them here are lifepo4. They don't go boom.

https://youtu.be/Qzt9RZ0FQyM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭ championc

For those with newly installed systems, check that your system is performing as it should be (especially since output is so low in these months)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ poker--addict

Deciding whether I should bite the bullet with battery installed or go about that DIY?

Removing 5kw battery reduces quotes about 2800-3000, but loses grant of 1200 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,256 ✭✭✭✭ DrPhilG

Get half that amount of batteries, keeps the grant at max. Then sell the battery to fund the DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭ graememk

Couple of hitches with that now.

Don't get givenergy inverter/battery as it's not known that it supports other batteries.

Only pylontech batteries are 2.4kwh now, a lot of them are 5kwh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 MayoMagic

Hi I am considering below quote, interesting difference is we have been recommended Micro-Inverters for better optimisation of the panels (we are using 2 different sides of the roof) - has anyone got experience with Micro versus String Inverters?

10 PANELS, 3.6KWP System, Micro Inverters, EDDI WATER DIVERTER with monitor: 7,200 euro (No grant as we are not built pre-2011, no battery either)

😲😲 where are you located.

€700 per panel at that rate. You definitely need to get some more quotes.

Firstly, it's not a great quote (not a terrible one mind you as you don't quality for a grant, but you can probably save a few quid by phoning around) but the micro-inverters may have raised the price? hard to know

So the micro-inverters typically are only needed if you have shading on the panels. Obviously without knowing your roof layout, I can't say for sure, but a normal reason would be say you have 8 panels on the roof and the chimney casts a shadow over 1-2 panels. Sadly the way the array works is that even though 1-2 panels have a shadow on them.....the whole array of 8 panels is reduced. So you use optimisers to help solve that issue.

Using 2 different sides of the roof wouldn't in itself require micro-inverters. I am using two sides myself (one facing east and the other west) and I've no micro-inverters. Again, your case may need them, but using 2 roofs isn't in itself a reason. I'd probably prioritse a battery over an Eddi, even a 2.5Kwhr battery. You can in effect perform the function of a EDDI with a battery by heating the immersion with energy you stored into the battery during the day, but you can't power your TV with the energy you put into the hot water - so a battery is (generally) more useful.....just a thought for you.

Cheers for response, this was actually 3rd and best quote I got!

Based in Galway area, form what I read online the micro-inverters can add roughly 1,000 to cost but are worth it for better output.

Maulbrook: Don't forget that if he did qualify for a grant that would reduce it down (by €2400) to €4800 which for 3.8Kwp with an EDDI isn't crazy money. Probably can save a few 100 euros....maybe? Not terrible anyway and I wouldn't feel robbed :-)

But yeah, I'd look at a 2.5Kwhr (ideally 5 Kwhr battery if you can stretch the budget out to it) and it would be worth clarifying the reason for the micro-inverters. That's not to say that I think they are unnecessary, only that there's a time and a place for them. 2 roofs in itself isn't the reason, but you may have trees/chimneys/neighbour house etc casting shadows.

Great stuff thanks for detail! Yep the Micro inverters appear to bump up the price, we have a chimney that will cast a shadow on 2 panels but we could lay them out to avoid that (just about) - his recommendation was for "future proofing" down the line if we add more panels then the inverters would be the best option for now as easier to add on and more options.

With all the other quotes in this thread and previous I couldn't see a single one with micro-inverters included, the 2 other quotes I got were about 9k and 8k for similar set ups and I think they might have even been with string inverters.

They (micro-inverters) certainly have their uses, and people should look on them as a useful devices, but I often wonder if there is a ROI on them for every case. For sure, there certainly are scenarios where not having them will adversely affect the production to the point that your really hurting ... but other times it may only be for 1-2 hrs of the day for a few weeek of the year when the sun is in a certain position. I've read that they also have a life expectancy for 5-10 years and getting a guy out onto your roof is always a pain if one goes defective.

If you can configure your array on the roof to avoid having them - I think I'd do that, and I suspect many of the other long timers would echo the same advice. Not just from a fiscal viewpoint, but less hassle. Also, nothing stopping you from adding them down the road if you really need them ..... albeit you'd have to get a guy onto the roof. They are basically the size of a pack of smokes and attach usually under each panel.

I'd probably take the advice of the installer though if you trust them. Remember I'm saying this without having seen your roof!

Hi Kenny, any chance you could PM me the name of the co which gave you quote no 2, as I have a feeling I got something reasonably similar, thanks.

Yep good advice indeed thank you, going to challenge them again on the need for them.

Re Battery we have an Electric Car on the way so I figured between that and the Eddi, and FIT, I would probably have enough to put the extra power into without battery, but they said they will leave it in a way that a battery can be added in later. There is also the "Vehicle-to-grid" charging coming in next few years so that might solve that problem when the time cones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ kennypowers

Advertisement