Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

Would anyone have a link to people's PV performance ? Can't seem to find the thread.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

There's a couple of them, but the one which primarily should interest you is.

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output - Page 32 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

If you haven't done it already, I'd advise getting an energy monitor and having a look at what's using what in the house. you'd be sometimes surprised at some simple things which you can change to drastically cut down on your usage. Halogen spot lights at 50Watts each for example can be replaced by similar ones using 6Watts (or less).....just to give you an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

This is a 6kw setup. Hope that helps.

DM if you want the installer details. No harm in getting some quotes so you can plan what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Try searching solis in this forum. There is a Dedicated post and we posted screenshots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Searching on this forum is something from 2020!! The function is beyond useless now since "upgrade".

😎

Mine is east/west facing. (1.5 East / 3.7 West) , here is the expected yield from

JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission (europa.eu)

I haven't had mine in long enough to give you actual yields for a year.

South East, North Wexford.

I tried to DM you but its blocked. Send me a DM and I can send you some info

Yes, Googling is the only solution that half works. Not sure if google will show them all, rank them by date, or what. Boards search engine used to work fine until the upgrade

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭islander222

Hi, I've recently got a number of quotes for Solar PV system and all quotes have come in significantly higher than the recommended formula..

I'm in the Limerick/Cork/Kerry area and I'm looking for a quality install and system rather than the cheapest that some good folk on here with prior experience could DM me some recommended names of providers?

Many Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Would it be a good idea to put a list of all providers and phone numbers /emails addresses in the opening page?

Posters could then refer to it and get as many quotes as possible, while still not actually recommending them and thus adhering to forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

Since most jobs are looking to qualify for the SEAI grant, this will somewhat ensure a decent job will be done by every installer.

In addition, the majority of components just click together, meaning a trained monkey could do a lot of it. I have said it before that the difficult part is in fact the adding of the brackets onto the roof.

Many installs are done in 2 days and some in a single day.

So, in my opinion, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by overspending with any installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I'm in Dublin and have reviewed five quotes. I won't go into detail, but all of them were above "formula" as follows...

18% -- 20% -- 25% -- 41% -- 45%

I think we can draw a few conclusions...

1. Prices are going up
    2. The larger the system, the better the value
    3. Finding the absolute lowest price takes time
    4. And perhaps the lowest quote does not always equal the best value

If anyone wants to recommend a supplier for the Dublin area, I'm open to getting more quotes, but I'm keen to get my grant paperwork in before January 2022, in case the SEAI switch it all up!

#2 makes sense. It costs a fixed amount to get 2 guys out to go up onto your roof. Doesn't take much longer to install 12 panels as it does 10 panels. What your paying for is effectively the "call out charge" which is factored into the quote you get. They may not list it specifically, but I'm sure it's in their cost model. Same is true (mostly) for inverters and batteries. Double the capacity and you don't quite double the price. So the best "value" is in the bigger systems, course you have to have the need for the system as otherwise your wasting money. It's all big juggling game, isn't it?

But yes, prices are (and have) been going up.

Update: Jinko says it did not reduce PV panel prices in the last quarter – pv magazine International (pv-magazine.com)

The formula was/is never meant to be an exact price to pay though. It was a way to ballpark what a good quote should be - and more importantly help weed out the gougers. Can it be beaten? Yes in a few larger systems you might beat it, but if you are within 10-20% of it you're not being robbed. Do shop around......you may save a few quid.

Is this quote over the top ?

Option 1 - 17 Panel PV System 

Supply, Installation & Commisioning of a 6.2 Kwp PV System € 11,210.40

5.2 Kwh battery                             €  4,426.50

Total                                              € 15,636.90

Potential Grant Available                              €  3,000.00

Net Amount Subject to Grant                        € 12,636.89

LOL - ahh that's a good one. How I laughed!

(Just to be clear, I'm not laughing at you, but the quote. Let me PM you some guys to call)

Option 2 - 22 Panel PV System 

Supply, Installation & Commissiong of an 8 Kwp PV System  € 14,507.57

5.2 Kwh Battery                                     €  4,426.50

Total                                              € 18,934.07

Potential Grant Available                              €  3,000.00

Net Amount Subject to Grant                        € 15,934.07

You'll have to PM me.....

Battery's are v expensive

• Advertisement

True they aren't free, that said, not -that- expensive :-) Check yourself......

Midsummer Renewables

E.g. a 5Kwhr battery, which you were quoted €4426.

Midsummer Renewables - €2333.50

So they are charging you €2000 to install it? Granted the midsummer price wouldn't include the installation cost, but it does include VAT which the supplier wouldn't pay for, so you can knock off another 10-15% off, or whatever VAT is these days on this stuff. So the profit margin that they have there is .... well, it's a lot.

Nahh, they are taking the micky there mate. Move on, you'll save yourself €5,000-6,000 euros (yeah, €5-6 thousand!) and get the same spec system elsewhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Midsummer doesn't include vat, only shows it at checkout.

Ahh, I stand corrected. Nevertheless ~€1800 (instead of €2200) to install a battery is still..... lets call it "pretty excessive". :-)

I know you know this graememk (but for glenbeighs benefit) installing a battery is like 45-60 mins work and involves installing 1x circuit breaker and lifting in a heavy box from the van! If that's €1800, I'm in the wrong game, heheh.

Nahh, you'll do well to give either the lads i sent in PM a call. The ones from Sligo or the Enniskillen folks. They'll see you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

Maybe people should get a battery LESS price first, get close to your €1k / 1kWp, and then ask about the cost of a battery.

You can still get close to €1k / 1kWp without a battery. Nothing to stop you adding it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Now to go and play with it. I'm sure I will back with more questions!

I am not sure it is forum rules? The mods seem to be AWOL, or certainly have not engaged with the discussion on the ruleset. Its a community forum anyway is it not?

I will be more than happy to politely say if someone has left a good impression after install, or has quoted an insane amount (a statement of fact). Talking in circles about Enniskillen provider or Sligo provider, or the company with 8 in its name, or whatever is laughable and wouldn't stand up in court anyway as a defence if a company did take an issue with a boards comment.

😎

The problem though poker is that when you have people voicing positive viewpoints, other people then feel that it's ok to start voicing negative viewpoints. Like "Really you found those guys good? I found them to be a bunch of cowboys!". The forum policy is somewhat annoying, but when I think about it......it's (probably) the lesser of two evils.

What you don't want is some active (this time not a pun) social media user on here kicking off about a supplier. If their comments were accurate, ok yeah, I (personally) feel that it's justified. Name & shame and all that, but what if it -wasn't- justified and the user was simply an unreasonable asshole, it would put the supplier in a tight spot. They could lose a ton of business, to the point of job losses. No matter what the supplier does, they couldn't win. They can't respond or say their side of the story without sounding petty/defensive, yet to do nothing may cost them their livelihood. Then there is the stubble fake accounts shelling good stories about how "good supplier x was" when the community have no way in knowing if there was even an install to begin with.

Nahh, as much as I dislike it, it's actually a good policy. Am I wrong? Dunno - its a hard one to call, so if it was a vote I'd say keep it the same. We all know who the jokers are.

I think we should keep it as it is, unlike Facebook it doesn't desend into a slagging match in 2 to 3 posts.

A Google docs page might be the answer. One line with the nessary details, thats all thats needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If any PV provider wanted to engage here then all they have to do is pay for it like lots of other companies. The amount of work referred by users on this forum is colossal, there was a time my Inbox was caving with PMs.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

4 of us got SAAS in July. 2 were audited by seai on Monday.

All was good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement