Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Price increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just get iptv!! Save a fortune

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just a reminder that there is absolutely no discussion of pirating television here. Any IPTV related discussion should be confined to providers such as Now, eir, and Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭Trampas

Of course it is but as long as people pay it then they charge it. I’ve stopped pay for sky a few months ago and can manage without out. Sky need to realise paying billions for football, cricket and f1 and more each time deal comes up isn’t going to work by asking the customer to stump up more money for it. They’ve how many channels and some nights they’ve same sports on multiple channels and sky sports news running on main event. How is that value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

I cut the cord too.

I watch other Leagues and other Sports.

There is plenty Sport on Saorview, Freesat and legal Streaming services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

I cancelled before Christmas and went with Saorview and Freesat. No regrets.

Got an email this morning from Sky telling me my bill was going from €0 to €4 a month. Either their system is screwed up or they are charging me for not being a customer. I logged onto the bank and made sure the direct debit is cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

With so many options, legal or otherwise, having Sky is really a premium product at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah the sky dish goes straight into the TV. Some older/cheaper TVs may not have satellite input as pictured in one of my previous posts but you can get a Freesat box for that.

I had to get the LNB part on the dish replaced with a universal one (€20) as newer Sky dishes don't work straight into the TV, older dishes do. Most houses have a dish these days and older ones with with Sky Q so don't need to necessarily be updated/replaced so chances are unless the house got a dish in the last few years it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

Alternatively, I downgraded to sky q lite/essentials for 10eur per month. It's FTA with the Irish channels bundled in HD. The discovery plus rolling free for 12 months works (with sport recently added). Catch up works for the Irish channels and All 4. There is a new BBC section added to catch up but looks like that is not live yet, be interesting to see if I can access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Just received an email with notification of a price increase. Does this mean I can break the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

SKY or any Pay Tv provider are far from being an essential.

• Advertisement

OT but that’s a very interesting spot there - there is indeed an empty “BBC TV” category in the Catch Up section. A glitch or something more I wonder? Sky Glass users have had BBC catch up access for a few months now so not inconceivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I only joined Sky in December and just got an email about a €3 per month price increase. FFS.

So this is what people warned me about....

If I complain about this on the phone is there any hope of them dropping it back to what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Always worth ringing but it's in their T&C's that they can increase the subscriptions by up to 10% during the contract period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They'll tell you to F off. I tried getting a cancellation or even a discount by playing the "my circumstances changed and I really need to cut costs" card two years ago and the person I was speaking to REALLY didn't give a **** and just pointed out I signed a 12 month contract. No shít, but things change. I feel sorry for anyone who genuinely does fall on hard times and is stuck paying €50-60 a month on some TV package.

Don't get me started on the 3 hours it took via Facebook chat to cancel my TV plan at the end of my 12 months. I was only giving notice to cancel, but they refused to acknowledge it because I wouldn't answer them about broadband and other nonsense, when I said I was cancelling because I don't use it she said "I see on your usage you do use it" because we had it on once or twice a week as background noise. I've never dealt with such a disgusting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Cancelled today and it took less than ten minutes. The girl didn’t seem that motivated to try and retain my custom. I have been a Sky customer for over 20 years and finally realised we no watch little if any programmes that are not available free to air.

I was offered a huge €7 discount initially and then some €10 per month package for just the FTA channels EXCLUDING HD. Charging a monthly fee for FTA channels is some cheek. Charging for HD in 2023 is even more ridiculous!!!

It is, though note you’d be getting HD anyway on a number of the very small number of channels that you get in that package (Sky Q lite). It does have its advantages in that it’s €120 for the year, you keep your existing equipment, you can get RTE without an aerial and you’ll keep your recordings for the channels you remain subscribed to (just RTE, VMTV, and TG4 really) and the free to air channels.

Im not saying it’s the best option, it’ll only give you the Irish channels and the FTA channels that are on the Irish EPG. You’ll have to tune in Channel 4 and it’s friends even though their FTA because the Irish versions on the EPG are not.

But it might be the most economical option. I’ve cancelled Sky myself (they offered me a paltry discount off a high price for TV only to stay, and no Sky Q lite for me apparently) and I’m now pricing FTA alternatives but it’s a high price upfront with a Freesat 4K box (which won’t give me multiroom) at €300 at least. Cheaper recievers are available but then there’s the cost of getting an installer out to swap the LNB to factor in too. That’s without adding Saorview though I’m considering living with the players now that very few programmes are missing on the live streams these days.

Or stream get a chromecast or similar and stream from a tablet if your tv hasn’t got rte, virgin media etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm going to get the Freest 4K box. Available from Curry's UK, Argos UK, Amazon and Richer Sounds for RRP without having to resort to the ripoff prices of the satellite installers here. It will pay for itself in six months compared to what I was paying Sky. I already have one Freest box and my TV's were connected to Saorview as a redundancy in the event of a loss of satellite signal. I also use NOW TV for cinema and Sports so getting rid of Sky for just the entertainment pack when we never watch the non-FTA channels anyway is a no-brainer.

I also think the Sky rep was somewhat confused as she must have thought I was on Sky Q as she started a spiel about returning the box. I pointed out that the Sky+HD box is mine. Hence why she offered the €10 per month offer which I assume is limited to a Sky Q box only?

I imagine so, it’s “Sky Q lite” after all. No real reason why they couldn’t offer it on a Sky+HD box, but since (as you point out) you own it, you’d really only be paying for RTE/VMTV/TG4 in that case. You can use that box to access BBC and other FTA services with no subscription (unlike Sky Q which you have to give back).

I thought long and hard about it but the Freesat 4K was ultimately the replacement. The not having to swap the LNB (for now; I may decide to do so to get multiroom back down the road) was ultimately the key factor. Thought long and hard about doing the swap now and getting the ZGemma which comes highly rated around here but also (from reading the thread) seems to require you to put a lot of work admin wise in and to be honest Freesat is the most-Sky like experience you can have in terms of it being plug and play and forget about. I also am not getting Saorview for now so I don’t need a combo box at present. Players for now for the Irish stuff and like yourself Now for sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Does the Freesat box restrict what Free to air channels you can get?

I thought I read that in a comment before. Just curious as I got the dreaded price increase email myself and so am considering dropping Sky. I have Sky Q currently so the Freesat 4k box could be an option. I could use something else then to stream RTE etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

Chromecast is a good investment.

€35 / €40 and supports all platforms. Move it around the house, bring it away with you etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

https://www.freesat.co.uk/channels

Official FreeSat boxes have all the main channels. Some lesser, +1 channels may not be included. AFAIK you can manually add other channels but it is a bit of a faff to switch to them.

Afaik it is a similar situation to Sky - off EPG channels need to be manually tuned and it’s now and next info only (it appears how easy this is differs from box to box). The thing is you’ll probably be using this facility a lot less than manual tuning on Sky because all the BBC/ITV channels are on the EPG.

Chromecast have very low storage space though. I thought I might be better off with an Android box. I don't really like streaming from my mobile as it kills the battery.

I rang Sky and they told me about the Sky Q light package. I think I might end up going with that. It's 10 euros a month for the Irish and the free to air channels. That's a lot cheaper than the 35 euro for the basic signature pack. All I really watch are those channels most if the time anyway. It's be handy as a temporary measure anyway. Between Freesat boxes and Chromecast or or Android boxes I'd have spent nearly 400 euro and still probably have a worse service than Sky. I'm guessing they don't let you stream to other devices with the sky Q light package. Anyone have any experience with it?

I think it's spelt Sky Q lite. There's nothing on their website about it.

Does Sky Q lite have a Sky Go lite included?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SKY's NOWTV = you can cancel any time instead of at the end of the year. Just have to click "are you really sure" a load of times. And wait a day or two for special offer.

The NOW TV thread in bargain alerts lists the offers.

Getting UK and Irish channels on one box is tricky because the UK equipment is deliberately hobbled to prevent this being easy to appease the rights holders.

All of the main UK terrestrial channels are now in HD on Freesat. And a genuine Freesat box will tune itself the hardest bit is deciding whether to enter a NI postcode like BT1 1AA or use a London one or midlands one depending on which regional BBC/ITV channels you want on the low numbers. Unlike the Irish Saorview Connect box, series link just works and it's usually good when program times change at short notice.

Most TVs even if they don't have satellite will allow you to record the Irish channels off Saorview onto a USB stick and do timeshift so you can pause and rewind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

Is phoning Sky the only option to cancel subscription? Been looking on the My Sky app but they provide no contact details on the page explaining the cancellation process, which is crazy. Obviously trying to make it as difficult as possible for customers to cancel.

They offered me a deal today which, had they offered me it when I called to initially cancel, I would have taken. But alas it’s a bit late now (particularly when the agent I spoke to assured me they would never be able to offer me the price I was looking for - the price they just offered me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

They / some agents are notorious for telling lies in an attempt to retain the custom.

Advertisement