Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Price increase

Options

Comments

It was news to me too. You don’t get any of the sky channels. It’s like using an old sky box with no card in it but you receive all the Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

Hilarious thing about HD is when you buy a Sky Sports subscription in the UK, it comes as HD standard, no extra cost.

Paying for HD in 2021 is absolutely ridiculous, especially sports in SD in barley watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Sounds good to me! I presume you can't record?

Just pressed R and the rd light came on.

So I started off thinking I would be giving my 30 days notice and paying for any extra days after my usual billing date. Now I can stop this at any time (I’m sure I’ll have to give 30 days) and then request a refund of any monies in my account.

Wow, jealous! Can you still get the apps on the remote?

• Advertisement

No idea. I hate the SkyQ remote. I’d only had it a year but my god, it’s bad. How do you even find out what time it is???

I like it! Home button, scroll down to apps. There should be a list of apps available - netflix, prime video disney etc?

Yep, apps still there. It’s asking me to sign in to Netflix. I’m not signing in though as I use my tv remote for Netflix, prime, Spotify.

That's good to know! When I cancel for good this time next year, I'll go for this deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

So your paying €10 for FREE channels using an interface you don't like?

🤔

• Advertisement

Read on. I now have 70 credit, I pay ten a month but can cancel at any time and have the balance refunded.

When I started the call, I was expecting to give my 30 days notice plus pay for any days over my billing period. They stopped the subscription with immediate effect without penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You can fool some of the people some of the time ....

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭redunited

Because Sky Owe you that 70 euro back, thus if you are letting them keep it you are literally paying them 70 euro for free channels.

Sky don't lose out, you do.

Cancelled my Sky a few weeks back, kept on the phone for about 30 mins before someone answered, got the usual messing about, transferred to a different agent to try and keep me. Told them it wasn't worth the money anymore, they aske3d did I watch the Sky Channels, I said nope, it's all repeats.

I told them it was only the FTA channels we watched and I had actually unplugged the SKy Box 2 months previous and swapped it over. ( Which is true)

They didn't offer me any more and said they would send out the box for me to return the equipment.

I noticed on my billing they have invoiced me for this month and given me a credit for next month, I'm not paying for this month, ill just let the credit come off next month.

I only received the price increase letter this morning, I had to laugh. What a joke they are and I'm delighted to be leaving them. Should have done it years ago.

G

The only reason I have the 70 euro is because sky cancelled my account as from the time of the telephone call. Otherwise, the 70 euro would never exist. I paid my monthly subscription then some time in that month I ring up to cancel believing I would be a subscriber for the next 30 days. In that scenario I would have a smaller bill next time to cover the days I hadn’t already paid for on my last bill.

My account wouldn’t have been in credit. Granted I would have had the channels to watch for those 30 days but I was getting rid so losing the service earlier wasn’t a problem. That’s why I ended up in credit and that why I can now cancel and request a refund. Cancelling is costing me a tenner rather than the 70 plus whatever days I would owe them to add up to 30 days.

You do understand that the 70 Euro credit is your money? You can ask Sky to refund it to you.

Anyhow, if you are happy with your setup then there is no argument.

I don’t think you’re getting it - I am obliged to give them 30 days notice of cancelling. That would cost me 30 days subscription (120 euro ish). They waivered the 30 days notice and put me on a package that would cost me a tenner and allow me to request a refund of any credit left on my account. There is only credit because they cancelled with immediate affect.

Ok, that makes sense. Naturally, it worked out best for you with no extra cost involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

I am still in contract till next mid year, can I cancel due to the price change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

To be honest this is probably going to push me over the edge with sky!!

I have two reasons for holding on the Formula 1 coverage and our sketchy internet meant sometimes Netflix etc would barely work.

Id forgotten how annoyed I got about paying a premium for HD, in this day and age.

I'll be looking for recommendations of a Freesat box now I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭KildareP

No, their T&C's allow them to increase their prices by up to 10% or the UK RPI (even in Ireland), whichever is the higher figure during your minimum term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

When you get sky at the start dont you pay 2 months up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

I’ve cancelled Sky after being with them for nearly 15 years. I’m going with Saorview It’ll be worth the initial investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

I've dropped right back to a basic package + Multiroom for kitchen. Dropped Sports, Movies, HD, Kids etc over a year ago,,,,, and to be honest have survived perfect without them. No-one bothered me from Sky to go back up a few packages and am happy with my lot!! Saving €70 a month....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Should be able to cancel after any price increases. Last year they had loads of deals so I'm sure they got a lot of customers. We were paying €57 for Signature, Cinema and UHD as opposed to €82 now we're paying €41 for Signature and HD. A whopping €8 discount, which is now reduced to a €4 discount. I regret renewing as we've barely watched anything since and I initially wanted to cancel as it was too expensive.

Their price increase means nobody can cancel then?

Might have to turn up the sob story about seeing if they'll waive the cancellation fees...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,427 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Home TV is Sky Q with Sky Original and then Sports

Signature has better channels - is there much of a cost difference? Original not worth the €35 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I got the letter today 2.69 increase. I'll be paying over 47 euros a month for what they now call the signature pack ie. the basic pack with music, kids and docs. I'm fed up of Sky price increases. Its too expensive and I don't have HD, they charge 8 extra for HD. It's ridiculous now. They've got away with this for far too long. Anyway what are my options with regards a free to air box? I have a Sky Q box. I got Sky Q in early 2020 when my Satellite dish went bust and they replaced it. I'd like to get a free to air box that allows me to have Rte channels and the free to air channels on the one input and be able to record programs on a different channel to the one I'm watching. I'll have to get an effing saorview aerial installed aswell but after I buy that and get it installed I'll be saving money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You will need a triple tuner at minimum, that will be two sat inputs and one Digital TV (Saoirview) input.

That will give you the ability to do the following

• Record one sat station while watching another sat or Saoirview station
    • Record two sat stations while watching a Saoirview station
    • Record one Saoirview station while watching a sat station
    • Record one Saoirview with watching another Saoirview station depending on which MUX the station is on *

You will no longer be able to get the Irish channels via the satellite thus you will also need an aerial for the Saoirview channels.

It will also need a hard drive (HDD) to record, but equally you could just use a high capacity USB drive for that.

You are talking about something like this for €244.95 with the HDD included

A aerial for the Saoirview will set you back about €30, but you will also have to install it and make sure it can be cabled back to where youa re locating the box.

Most houses would have all their TV points caballed back to a spot in the attic, so if you can access that you maybe be able to connect the aerial there, alternatively it may have to go outside.

In the best case scenario a set of "rabbit ears" straight into the box might do the trick just as good.

Just another thing to note, I believe that Sky Q uses a different type of LNB (a quad LNB) on the satellite dish that the older regular Sky+ do not.*

You would need to check with the supplier of the combo box if it is compatible with a quad LNB or you many need to change you LNB back.

*Tech stuff I don't fully understand.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Advertisement