Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Price increase

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Maybe so. To be honest I didn’t like the aggressiveness, when my instruction was to cancel. I had a bottom line and that particular agent was unwilling (or unable, I worked in a call centre many eons ago and appreciate they have their instructions/mandate) to meet it and also told me it was impossible for Sky to meet it. But it’s too late now tbh, I’ve made my arrangements for post-Sky at this stage, I’m going to see how they work out down the road.

For what it’s worth, the deal was half price Sky Signature and half price Sports and Cinema for twelve months. The important parts of the package are Sky Sports and Sports Extra and I was getting nothing off Sports Extra or HD/multiroom but the overall price would have met my bottom line. As I say it is partially the fault of the very aggressive line the original CSR took who offered me a small amount off what I was paying.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

I got the email about the price increases on Monday, i actually never realised i had sky kids as one of my packages. It said sky signature would increase by €1.30 a month and sky kids by €2 a month. Looked in my package details (was not easy i might add, they do make it difficult) and found i had sky kids for the last three years and payed €8 a month for it!

So did the facebook messenger thing to cancel the sky kids, jumped through a million hoops with the AI they have just to get to an actual person, explained all the above, and her response was just, 'do you want to sign up to sky fibre and tv for €68 a month'!!

No explanation as to why i had sky kids, no offer refund for money paid, no offer UHD free for a year, no sorry about that at all!

So now my sky bill has dropped to the princely sum of €41 a month from next month.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Do the freesat 4K receivers need the Sky Q LNB or will they work with the standard Sky Quad?

They will work with both or with the hybrid. Assuming you want the PVR model:

If you have a wideband (Sky Q) LNB you can have up to 4 channels recording at once but no multi-room

If you have a quad you can up to 2 channels recording at once and can have another box for multiroom.

Youll need the hybrid if you want both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

@FlicFlak

what package have you ? There is a €10 basic package that I have with broadband added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A couple of years ago they broke up what was then the basic sub into 2 or 3 things. New basic package got called signature and then there was kids and one other thing, can't remember could be music. So one became 3 and by default everyone who had the original basic one was automatically put on all three. Of course the whole thing came with an overall increase.

Was technically a good thing cos I was able to unsubscribe to kids & music and save a few euros but it would have been better again if they had actually told me.

Tbh they've been pissing me off for years. and the biscuit is really the extra HD charge. At this point the only reason I still have basic sky and the old box is because the missus would freak out if we didnt but I'm working on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

I also discovered I was signed on for Sky kids. After a big runaround during which I was told I had signed up for it, they eventually said I was signed up automatically because we rented a movie from them.

I immediately called for a supervisor and in fairness he confirmed that this was rubbish. Got my full refund but still no idea how they signed me up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

I have the signature package, as its called now. When i signed up years ago, i got the basic sky package and added on the entertainment package, which basically had History, discovery, nat geo and those type channels, which i do watch. I t was weird, when i go in to look at adding packages, Ultra HD is free for two months then €4 a month after that, but to get HD is free for two months, then €8 a month after that!

Me personally I think Sky are doing it all wrong.

Price gouging, constant reshuffles of packages with hidden increases, maximum opacity of 'your plan', basic features cost extra, never ending 'cancellation' and other temporary deals. Its a mess and leads to customer dissatisfaction and surely it costs a pretty penny just to support what with calls and letters and whatnot.

Why don't go the exact opposite way? The 'GoMo' way if you like. Price reduction across the board. Basic package €30, Sports €20, Movies €10, no messing around charges for HD or 'another room' or all that nonsense.

I dare say they would massively increase their customer base and stop people from looking at freesat or even pirate subs it just wouldn't be worth it. They could half the service department and let go of a ton of lawyers, too. In the end they'd probably make more money.

Just my humble opinion but maybe I'm thinking too simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭doc22

• Advertisement

I didn't know that. It's not quite clear to me from their website but say with the Entertainment package would you actually have live TV content the same way you would get it from Sky Signature? Like all the 100 odd regular live TV channels RTE, BBC etcpp?

I assume with the Sports package it would have to be live TV, like matches etc. But Entertainment seems more like as if you had Sky boxsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

If you are cancelling, don't you the text option.

Spent 5 and half hours on to them to cancel TV & Broadband Package .

I have the sports package. I rang 6 months ago to cancel the sport package. They agent talked me into keeping the Sports Package at a 50% discount for 6 months.

So now when I contact them today to cancel the whole package, they are saying that when I excepted the 6 months discount for Sports, I basically at that time entered into a new 12 month contract for the basic TV package and can't cancel it for another 6 months! Never made aware on the phone. But they can produce an email with the new t&cs which where a shock to me.

Be careful dealing with Sky or accepting offers, especially unwanted offers. All very underhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭decor58

Yes, the channels are live but only the Sky channels, about 10 of them. No RTE, VM, BBC live channels, you do get RTE and VM players. Sky have recently added a form of BBC iplayer to their service here that would be very welcome on NOW tv in Ireland.

Really if going the Now option you want to pair it with another service (be that Saorview and Freesat, Sky Q lite, or a basic Vodafone/eir package) for your free to air/basic cable viewing. Now is mostly (though not exclusively) Sky’s own content.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You can request an audio copy of that telephone conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There are live channels in the Entertainment package but not the likes of RTÉ or BBC. It is very limited with Sky owned channels, Comedy Central, GOLD, Alibi and MTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Doodah7

That's exactly what I have now: Saorview, Freesat and NOWTV. Entertainment pack is on offer at €3 per month if you look in the Bargain Alerts thread:

They have made Now very attractive compared to Sky Q when it comes to sports in particular. I am not sure of the strategy behind it but I was very surprised to learn that the deals are not restricted to new customers and you can effectively cancel (and don’t have to have an argument with retentions to do it) and sign up immediately for a new deal provided any offer period has less than 30 days left. I’d commend that thread to anyone thinking of the Now route but again it’s not suitable to be your sole TV service and you need something else for the terrestrials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭dam099

Its also often worth cancelling when your deal runs out, they usually do ask you to select a reason from a drop down as to why you are cancelling, say price and they may offer an extended or new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Butson

• Advertisement

The off topic VMTV catch up posts have been split off

I cancelled last week through the Sky Chat option,took hours and they tried to persuade me to stay but I just want out of Sky tbh.They offered me a Sky Essentials pack of €10 per month for the basic channels but when I pointed out that I wanted recordable access to ITV and Ch5,they let me cancel.Bought a Freesat 500gb recorder and the apps on mthe smart tv will give me access to the Irish channels!

Advertisement