Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Price increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

Saorview gets you RTÉ 1 ,RTÉ 2, TG4 and Virgin Media 1,2 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I'm going to leave it now, you know exactly the massive differences between Saorview and Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Obviously Saorview doesn't compare to Sky but when you have Saorview and Freesat you should question whether you need to pay €43 a month for basic channels.

I like Sky it's just too expensive for basic channels. On Demand is ok but I barely even used that. Sky Cinema on demand selection definitely shrank over the years and new movies have been questionable quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I want to cancel Sky, anyone have any tips? I've read in some places that customer service will mess you around or just plain hang up on you. Is this true?

Had it for years but it's just not needed anymore. Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

First say you want to upgrade your package to the computer voice recognition thing.

Then once you get speaking to someone say you want to cancel just say your don't watch tv anymore. Don't engage them in conversation as they will ask you how will you manage without tv etc. or what was your favorite part of having sky. Once you answer they will try to reel you in by offering you half price for 6 months etc. or free sports or movies depending on your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Just got Internet + TV with movies for 63euro. It was 55 euro as a new customer last year.

It had gone up from 55-to 97euro which is 80%!

I see their into offer now is 60 so I was happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

47 minutes on hold but finally got through and cancelled it. Thank fúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If you are wanting to cancel say you are emigrating so they can't try and talk you out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Barrett1234

Might be worth texting sky. I texted this morning asking to remove the sports channels because I wanted a lower bill. Ended up keeping my package the same but paying almost 15 euro a month less. One of the discounts was on sky HD €10 down to €6.

May be worth texting or ringing because they must have discounts available on the HD pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Wow looking at some of the posts I think I'm not getting that great a deal. After negotiating with them on the phone I dropped the kids pack which I'd been wasting money on for the last couple of years and the HD pack which I thought had a 2 month trial but Sky started charging me for. So my last bill was around 55 euro which I was raging about really. Anyway without the HD pack it was to be around 47 euros, I'd been paying 45 for a year before that aswell (I'd never really negotiated it before) so after dropping HD pack and kids they said it would be 29 euros and something cent a month for 12 months and the first month was about 20 guessing probably because they were discounting me for having been charged for my HD pack trial. I thought that was a good enough deal. I see others here getting it for a good bit less so might negotiate a bit harder next time. I looked into how much it would cost to get free to air and saorvew setup and the cost was very high so I decided flip it if Sky give me a decent enough deal I'll stay with them. I honestly find most of the time there's nothing decent on to watch but it's nice to have the choice anyway I suppose. Anyway my point is I'm happy anyway and you save money by negotiating a contract with them. Be prepared for half hour wait and pop your phone on speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Disney+ Charging me almost €20 extra this March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How do you get the freeview UK channels? Do you need a new aerial on the roof for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Aerial on the roof if within range of a Freeview transmitter in NI, otherwise a satellite dish combined with a satellite receiver or satellite enabled TV.

Thanks!

Is it a different dish to a sky dish?

Sattelite enabled tv...would that mean like Saorview ready? Or does it need a sattelite box?

If your TV has a second cable input it should work. Just plug old Sky satellite cable into the TV and scan channels. I did it in my mam's house recently on a Sony that's about 8 years old. I'd say most modern TVs would have the satellite input and the ability to scan for channels, a lot of TVs can record programs to USB or a hard drive and record a series like Sky. Here's an example from my TV that has two satellite inputs and standard cable input. Sky has two cables but you only need one.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Ah great, thanks for that.

I assume Sky don't give you the free view channels if you leave sky?

So just plug the aerial that's currently plugged into the skybox into the tv and then scan for uk channels like you would for saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is yours a SkyQ or legacy Sky receiver?

A SkyQ receiver has to be returned after you cancel. The SkyQ LNB on the dish won't be compatible with the TV's satellite tuner.

The legacy Sky box displays a limited number of free channels once you cancel, can be a little user unfriendly in free channel mode.

The TV's satellite tuner will store the channels as found, in no particular order, there will be hundreds including regional duplicates. So a lot of tidying up to be done after tuning. Be sure to set the scan to search for free channels only to prevent the Sky subscription/encrypted channels being stored, reduces the clutter for tidying.

Is the Sony TV Freesat enabled?

A Freesat receiver is a very user friendly alternative, with all the free channels arranged in a particular order.

It's a legacy skybox.

If I got a freesat box can you just plug in the sattelite cable into the box and then scan?

Sorry to derail the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭eddieoregan

According to my future Sky Bills, Sky Signature is going up by €3.00 to €46.00 per month, in April 2023

I have been enjoying Freesat channels the last few months. Watching everything we'd normally watch on Sky. Have a USB stick in the TV to record anything while we're out.

Also setup a Plex server so I have hundreds of my favourite movies on demand anywhere I go.

No longer missing Sky!

My contract is up in April and im out as well! I bought a freesat recorder 500gb box for £229 in Currys Enniskillen and thats the way i'll go. Have the RTE,Virgin and TG4 Player on my smart tv as apps so im grand for the Irish channels! It'll pay for itself in six months and no more monthly bills to $ky!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

If you have broadband with them they’ll offer you the basic package for 10/ mth . I use now tv for sports

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Just checked, my bill increases from April

Signature Package gone up 10% from 41.15 to 45.30 and they've also increased the multi-room by 5% from 19 to 20. Have the HD option too which is another 10 bucks. I don't have sports or movies.

Will ring them and see what they can reduce, if not I'm gonna cancel and revert to free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

I've cancelled Sky

Do you just have a dish going directly to your TV and user the in-built satellite tuner?

I'm currently looking for a good alternative to Sky.

Bloody hell, €75.30 pm to watch a bog standard channel pack in more than one room. Utter extortion if you ask me. Paying for the 'privilege' of watching something in HD is a joke too at this stage, especially when the bulk of the channels provided by BBC, ITV etc are now HD as well as FTA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

May have been already said but your options if you had a Sky Q (and didn’t have a hybrid LNB installed - you’ll know if you did because you’ll have asked for it!) are to either swap the LNB for a hybrid or normal one (you may be able to do this yourself if you feel confident going up on a ladder but be careful you don’t move the dish) or to buy the only FTA receiver which works with a Sky Q wideband LNB which is the very expensive Arris Freesat 4K boxes (clocking in at €300 or more if you want recording). If you want multiroom you will have to change the LNB either way as the wideband LNB only has two outputs and they’ll be going to the same location.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ditched Sky a few years ago due to the cost primarily. Went the Freesat/Saorview route. Never looked back to be honest. The cost is unjustifiable for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Charging people extra for HD in this day and age is just robbery.

Advertisement