Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Price increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Just checked and HD is going up 2 euro from 8 euro to 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sky must be crippled if they’re resorting to more price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I see Aldi advertising Now Tv stick for €14.99 from Thur 4th

Would they not make more money if the price was lower as more people would get sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

I have been with sky for nearly 20 years and the service has got worse. We pay 34 euro for free view channels. Most of the music channels are gone. Formula 1 channel transferred from HD pack to sky sports. Rang up to remove box sets last year and when I rang to cancel their services all together last month I was told I was in a 1 year contract . They have removed Disney channel and Fox channel. True movies and still want more money.

• Advertisement

Yes Fox and Disney channel are still on pay tv in other countries and also they have more music channels. More MTV channels. Why are we getting such a bad deal. I know they are not sky's fault but the loss in channels should be reflected in the price. Why is HD going up in price, if it was cheaper like 3 euro a month more people might get it. Do you still need the HD pack to get sky sports and BT sports in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Does anyone know a good package to go with I also cancelled my sky. I had sky family pack sports & the internet. €94 a month just cant justify it especially when most things I watch are on Netflixs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Check out the now TV ireland website. They usually have decent deals on entertainment and sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Anything4883

To watch the sports in HD, you need the HD add on, which is 8eur i think increasing to 10 per month.

I have the HD pack and would not like to not have it. Do you think they will loose HD subs with the price increase. I only got it when it was 8 euro, would never have paid 15 for it and still taught it was expensive at 8 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Considering HD Tv has been around for 15 years, it is crazy to see it is still considered a premium extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The longer people are willing to pay extra for HD the longer Sky will charge for it. It generates huge profits for Sky and it would be a poor Sky manager that would make the decision to stop charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Amazon Prime and Netflix is now my primary viewing services. Content is better, picture quality is better and most of all, no adverts.

As more people move away from terrestrial TV, tv stations lose revenue from advertising - Companies are not going to pay the same rates for advert space if half the viewing base is over on Netflix. so to stay afloat, the stations must increase the amount of adverts. And this just drives more people away to streaming services.

SKY are in a similar position, the more people who move away from them, the more they need to increase their prices to maintain revenues.

Since I moved to free-sat and streaming, I have saved a fortune and honestly, I could never go back to watching bloody adverts every 10 mins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

I’ve been with Sky for 21years. My package currently is Sky Signature ,HD and multi room.

Cancelled multi room and Sky HD. Come Jan 31 my bill for Signature alone wil be €47.89. Luckily I’m not locked into a 12 contract so needless to say I have no intention of paying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Damien360

How are you paying that ? I have sky signature only. No HD, no sports etc. my bill is currently €41 going to €43 next month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It's mad that the HD package is being increased again when it should have been made part of the standard package long ago at this stage. Madness. The basic Virgin Media TV package has HD channels included.

I had thought they'd make the HD package standard at this stage and replace it with the 'Ultra HD' package. It's long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

long term service is no longer respected by providers, as providers have become ultimate rent seekers, maybe consider 'alternatives', but a good broadband connection is required

That’s the amount I would pay come January 31st 2022 according to Sky. I don’t know how it’s calculated.

Almost €12 per week for a basic package. I won’t be paying that.

Got a couple of Humax Freesat boxes and couple of Samsung Freeview boxes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

As has been mentioned before, it's because people continue to pay for it, simple as that really.

It's a handy revenue stream for sky.

And it will continue for many more years unless people vote with their feet and walk away.

As it is I’ve got Amazon Prime, Netflix and Disney +. I’ve 500 GB fibre so I’m ok on that score .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres various reasons why people stay, from the serious lack of true alternatives, and the fact, skys service is fantastic

id definitely look into 'alternatives' then, you definitely wont have any issues with those speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Out of curiosity, how much a month is all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is the thing, Sky's service is probably the most complete all in one service out there.

To get rid of Sky and try and recreate the quality of offering is not easy.

Firstly you need a STB that will allow you to record and watch at the same time, that's the best part of €300 for a good one.

Then you need an aerial to get the Irish stations on that STB, that could be up to €30 and more if you need to get someone to install it outside and cable it in.

So you could spend up to €400 in setup costs as soon as you get rid of Sky, for a smaller channel selection.

That's 10 months of €40 a month Sky.

It's not an easy choice.

We got rid of Sky 6 months ago, it was based on threatening to do so for years and having a STB I got second hand for €30.

The STB is flakey and frustrating at times, but we are not shelling out €300 for a new one.

I was lucky that I could stick the aerial in the attic and the cabling was already in place.

We now use that and get Netflix or Disney the odd month and use it on a Now stick.

The Now stick is handy, you can get Sky stations on it without the commitment.

€8.99 per month paid from surplus 3 credit. Netflix and Amazon shared with family members.

Over the years I’ve picked up 2 Humax Freesat boxes, 1Tb and a 500 GB. 2 Samsung Freeview boxes both 1TB.

Total cost approximately €250. Less than a 6 month subscription to the most basic Sky package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭GIMP

Rang Sky the other day after receiving the increase letter, I cancelled Kids package 8e saving. Rang again as I wanted to cancel everything, they offered 31.50 per month for Signature and multi room 12 month contract, so a decent discount from 64e I was paying and it was to increase to 68e. Can cancel multiroom at any stage. I am happy enough with Sky for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Spent a few hours back and forth on text messaging them today to cancel. So Slow to reply. Stuck to my guns and said no to everything, just cancel. Didn't engage in any conversation and kept saying cancel. Eventually they gave me the offer of Sky Signature for €22.60 for 12 months which I accepted. Was paying €36 which was going up to €38.50 next month. I'm happy with that. I have the Sky Q box which I got free last year so I think that's a good deal I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

You dont own the Sky Q box. I have cancelled my Sky was paying €92 for family pack, sports and internet (which is brutal by the way)

They send me out a box to pack the sky Q box and internet router into. I was a bit shocked as the usually ring to offer you a deal to stay not this time. To be honest I couldn't care dont watch much live telly. Getting virgin broadband which is fibre and will just continue with Netflixs and use now TV if theres something I really want to see. Less hassle and cheaper in the long run.

I'm well aware I don't own the Sky Q box! I'm happy with the deal I got. We record a lot of programs so it's good for us.

I cancelled sky a couple of weeks ago. It wasnt easy but I stuck to my guns. Through the back n forth and sticking to my guns (can’t afford it, worrying about rent increases, electricity, etc,) I somehow ended up having my package cancelled immediately and being put onto the covid ten euro a month for free to air channel deal.

As I pay upfront for my monthly subscription, I was 70 euro in credit. So for the next 7 months I’m using the SkyQ box to watch these channels. Tbh, I’m not missing the sky channels…. Yet

• Advertisement

Advertisement