Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Price increase

Options
  • 28-10-2021 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Has anyone got notification of price increase after Christmas (January) ?

Spoke with Rep today.

Signature and HD both increasing by 2 euro per month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Honestly I'm amazed people are still with Sky. Had them in for a good while in my place and the price was just unjustifiably high, especially if you want to throw in HD/Box sets, movies and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,853 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sky increases it's prices every year so you will most likely be paying more in the near future. I cut the cord 5 years ago and the only regret I have is that I didn't do so years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭GIMP

I got notification of a E4.20 increase, they only increased mine in June by around E4.00, moved me for old package to this Signature bs, rang them up and removed Kids package of E8.00 so at least for now I have negated the two price hikes.

I have multi room which is E19 seriously considering cancelling this too.

I do like Sky but it is becoming less attractive each year and they are offering very little extra to justify these hikes!

Even the Sky rep was surprised by them upping the prices again so soon after the last increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I dropped sky at the start of the year and went the freesat route.

Best thing I ever did.

The other half still has her soaps and reality TV and I use now TV for sports.

Now tv........... it's not for everyone but works for me a dream......no complaints.......you can 'chop& choose' all you want....... I only get the "sports" for Dec & I get full value out of it. Never again with sky....like a second mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Maddest thing is they have actually increased the price of HD when they should be abolishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Anything4883

Yep, that has done it for me.

HD should be STANDARD now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Got the letter on Tuesday informing me of a €2.50 price increase. Sick of it now. I'm paying €36 for just the basic package with no add ons. Rang on Wed to cancel with the free number. It's all automated and when I mentioned I wanted to cancel I was cut off. Then rang the 0818 number and was on hold for 25 mins before giving up. Contacted them by text at 4.15. At 9.00 pm after many back and forth they said they were closing and would contact me the next day.

Yesterday they texted at 9.00am and we did a dance for 8 hours back and forth. "Why do you want to cancel"? etc. Wouldn't give up, long breaks between texts and just wouldn't take no for an answer. Very frustrating experience. A simple phone call to me and it could have been sorted in 5 mins. Eventually they told me I couldn't cancel until Nov 8th! Seriously? It took two days for them to tell me this and now I'll have to go through this all over again. Totally fed up with this experience. I've been with them for 10 years and every year I re-negotiate the contract and it's usually a very simple process. This however, was a nightmare. I'll be glad to see the back of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Now TV is owned by Sky. So effectively its just a different "department" you are dealing with. Albeit one that suits you.

I simply call them every year, let them know I have no interest in paying more than €22/€23 for the standard package and they can cancel it or renew at that price.

Last year they refused, so i cancelled. 2 days later I got a call saying they would do €22. Even at that, I think its overpriced for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

• Advertisement

Out of interest, when they come to collect the SkyQ box, can I just replace it with the old Sky box or are the connections different?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The connections are the same but you would need to have a requested a hybrid LNB at time of install or be able to replace the LNB.

Just a general note. This isn’t a “dump your Sky related rant here” thread. It’s okay to discuss the price increase (and heaven knows Sky is costly) but just dumping particular random gripes you have with Sky isn’t allowed. If there’s a particular non-price increase related issue you want to raise start a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The SkyQ LNB on the dish isn't compatible with the old Sky receiver. The LNB has to be changed to work with the old box.

The SkyQ LNB does work with the new Freesat receivers.

I thought you had to return the SkyQ receiver yourself in the box they supply or do they collect now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

They supply a postage paid box for you to return equipment but you still need to bring it to a post office due to its size.

Thanks. Is that something I can do myself or does it require expert technical skill? Don't really want to go down the route of extra expense for a freesat box. Thanks

How many outputs are on the current LNB, a 2 output wideband LNB is standard for a SkyQ install but as mentioned above sometimes a 4 or 6 output hybrid LNB is installed which works with both types of receiver.

If it's the standard wideband it can be replaced fairly easily depending on the dish location and how comfortable you are up a ladder. Note the skew angle of the old LNB before removing it.

Legacy Sky quad LNB here - https://www.freetv.ie/quad-lnb/

How would I know whether it's a 2/4 or 6 and what exactly am I looking for?

Have a look at the base of the LNB where the coax cables attach, there will be 2, 4 or 6 threaded male connections.

If I were to replace the SkyQ box with another SkyQ box but not subscribe to Sky, will I still get the free to air channels?

• Advertisement

Sky Q boxes remain the property of Sky and must be returned when out of contract. There is no legal way to get one otherwise.

SkyQ receivers remain the property of Sky and so are only available via a Sky subscription

I often see them for sale at car boot sales. If one were to go down this route would they be able to get the free to air channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

'alternatives' are the only way to go at the moment, far cheaper, but not problem free

It's possibly not Sky Q but older Sky boxes you are seeing. AFAIK a Sky Q box must be connected to the web to function so an out of contract box would be a gamble to say the least. Add to that, an out of contract non-Q Sky box has very limited functions, no recording etc. They are a pain to use and would not work with a Q LNB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I think mentioned earlier, the only non-Sky box that works with a Sky Q wideband LNB is the Arris Freesat 4K recievers.

If you’re leaving Sky, using your existing receiver (be it Q, which you are required to return, or HD, which is yours to keep) should be no more than a stop gap. Virtually any other receiver out there would be better for FTA.

Thanks but I'm leaving Sky because of the price! Don't want to spend more money on a freesat box that I'll have to pay someone to install and set up. May as well stay with Sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,314 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So price increases but some channels going or gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Anything4883

I dont know what channels are going, but increasing the price to view channels in HD is ridiculous.

Advertisement