Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superman is bisexual now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Same sh*t different decade.

There was once a time where entertainment properties would make a change to be edgy. Nowadays it's to be.... wokey.

Am sure the LGBTQ community will praise this. But in 15 or so years the character will change and the LQBTQ will be moaning at that.

Round and round the merry go round goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,454 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Other items on the main RTE.ie page:

How healthy is your breakfast cereal?

Jesy Nelson addresses video appearance controversy

First ever soap crossover to highlight climate change

Living with Lucy: 'I love it! I could do it for ever'

Outfits worn by Harry Styles and David Bowie to appear in UK exhibition

The fact that these are all on the front RTE.ie page, but are featured lower, suggests the main RTE.ie page is not the news page but it's rather an aggregation of all their pages, and that the Superman one being higher on the page means more people are actually interested in the article compared to the others.

Not that it's comparable to the news, but there is enough engagement to that page pushing it to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theres some that didnt even read the article. Its Supermans son thats bisexual yet plenty posts from the "concerned" seem to indicate that they think its the actual Superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

always had a feeling he was fond of the pipe

Again though, who are the people "concerned"?

I just thought it was a mad thing to even be reported on and wondered if others felt the same.

• Advertisement

Had a look at that article about that girl from little mix too. That's an unnecessary shitstorm too but **** me, I better not try to open a discussion about that or else I'll be accused of being in the KKK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s a quirk of the site that it’s against the rules to call a bigot “a bigot”, though, D.

All that would happen would be that the bigot would “report” the post and the mods would be forced to ban, or sanction, the user who called the bigot “a bigot”.

It’s not really a big deal, though, it’s clear to anyone who reads the, more, “contentious” threads on this site who the bigots are so no real need to “call them out”, it’s just stating the obvious.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Other than the Helen Lovejoys of this world, does anyone really care?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I absolutely love stuff like this and how it sets off the usual "aaaghhhh woke snowflakes the world is changing" crowd. Keep it coming please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are considering you were triggered enough to start a thread about it and then use loaded terms like pandering and tokenism. If you read that post it's obvious you have issues with it.

But that's par for the course. People with disgusting world views never admit and don't like being told that said views are disgusting and pretend not to own them.

• Advertisement

What are my disgusting world views?

Jesus man, that's an allegation and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has the Iona Institute for the burning of all Superman Comics yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

You created a thread. So you care.

You are like a child shouting

Hey everyone look over here look look at this.

And when the other kids come over and look and are like

meh so what.

You Change your tune and are all

yeah that's totally why I was asking everyone to look because it's totally not intertesting.

I mean you created a thread you titled it the way you did. So why are you now pretending you don't care?

😆😆

I do care Rob.

I find it interesting that in this day and age, it's worth reporting the sexuality of a comic book character.

I was wondering if others felt the same way (perplexed at the need to highlight the sexuality of a comic book character) and whether or not they felt it was some sort of tokenism or do people think that this kind of announcement is empowering or a benefit to people who are bisexual.

The two people (one bisexual, the other bi-sexual-ish) who could relate most to the topic both thought it was silly and their friends agreed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,407 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's worth reporting to a degree because it is a huge comic book character (probably the biggest), plus there still aren't tonnes of LGBT characters in Marvel/DC, the film's have pretty much ignored them, but the eternals will have one (let's see if they cut sections out when it is released in certain countries)

It's not exactly front page news....

But when I was growing up and reading Spiderman (always my favourite) and he had a love interest that was a guy I would have really loved seeing that at the time. It helps to normalise healthy LGBT relationships not a bad thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I don't believe you have any such friends. Can you stick to your own opinion on boards it makes discussion easier instead of me arguing through you with your imaginary friends.

You created this thread not any friends you might or might not have.

Its an entertainment related article in RTE's entertainment section **** me its hardly like its on the Six One News main headline

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/trending/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

So, wait, bisexual/bisexualish people are happy to not be “represented” in any medium because it’s silly?

I would have thought they’d be against bi erasure and happy to see some bi “characters” in comic books.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Honestly? His original parentage makes waaay more sense than his current one and would annoy all the right people. They should 100% do it.

Let's face it, threads like this are never started for other "entertainment-esque" articles which may pop up on media sites. Take the other from RTE's front page about Harry Styles and David Bowie's clothes being part of an exhibition, there'd never be a thread arguing "Why is this newsworthy?"

I believe the reason similar are posted when they feature LGBT or race issues, is in order to discuss LGBT or race issues rather than why are these things deemed newsworthy, then segue into rights/representation of LGBT/BAME people or stoke "woke" conversations/arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's not Superman though is it? It's Superman's son.

I can't stand wokeness but this is nothing - he's not even the original Superman but his son (this is of course obscured in the headlines for maximum outrage) and he's into women and men, which a number of people are, and are rarely represented. The anger over it in the Facebook comments is hilarious. They're a bunch of idiots with no perspective. And the usual inanities like "the world has gone mad". Yes, the world has "gone mad" because of a comicbook, not anything else globally. Aren't familiar with punctuation either: "wat next batman gay". "Superman is rooned now" - because this changes all the previous films and comicbooks featuring Superman? It's inappropriate for kids, keep sex out of it, bla bla. There's not going to be sex - just relationships, like Lois and Clark. And what's inappropriate for kids? Being made aware that some people like both men and women?

I think the confusion may be that his son is acting as the current Superman, so it's not Clark as Superman, but his son Jon as Superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

My main problem with the whole thing is the notion that Superman could have a kid. Mallrats got it spot-on years ago.

https://youtu.be/wqwUdp5-2D8?t=35

I don't care what you believe Robert.

I am sticking to my opinion. I find it bizarre that it was reported on and fancied having a discussion about it on a discussion board.

Hardly crime of the century.

Ooooh again, my interest is piqued. Will give that a google later

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The concept of legacy in comics seems really hard for people who've never read one to understand.

An identity like Superman or Spider-Man can be passed down. It's a mask and usually a set of ideas. There's been a few Batmans loads of Supermans, even more than one Hulk.

Weirdly there was loads of threads like this all over the net when suddenly we had a black Spider-Man in Miles (then it turned out he was written amazingly and everyone complaining about him ended up looking really unreasonable).

It was reported on because they knew it would generate controversy.

• Advertisement

Thats not what I said. They thought it was silly to have an article written about it and for it to be called "bold". The impression I got was that they just would have preferred to have the character as bisexual and not a fuss to be made about it.

Advertisement