Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superman is bisexual now!

Options

Comments

What was particularly bad in that post you quoted?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Now bear in mind the last time I read a comic was when a friend gave me a Judge Dredd/Batman mash up half a lifetime ago(late 80s?) so I'm going on memory here, but the Dredd character and the world of the judges he inhabited was a very monastic one, a calling as it were, where external entanglements that would interfere with their duty were frowned upon. Kinda like the Jedi knights in Star Wars. I don't recall any of them having any romantic stuff going on. Though I seem to remember some frisson of it between him and a pnuematic psychic judge whose name escapes. I also seem to remember one judge having to leave because he fell in love and Dredd not being too happy about it. Again I'm digging deep into memory here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As usual it's the bottom line and getting ahead of a story. There may well be blowback, clearly some, as this thread shows.  

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jaysis S, talk about memories coming back. 😁 Hook Jaw. I loved that. Jaws on steroids, with extra gore. Flesh was as gory as feck too. Guys being chomped up in graphic detail by T rex's and the like, with a sideorder of nature fighting back and stuff about overexploiation of nature's resources. Dredger and Hook Jaw were in Action comic IIRC? Gore was very much the fashion of the day and for an 8 year old boy it was brilliant. 😃

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes they came up with canonical reasons for it. Dredd is Robocop basically, but with less humanity.

that was judge Anderson. She was played by Olivia Thrilby in the Dredd film a few years ago. The Stallone movie gave him a love interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭briany

One day Superman was flying over Metropolis on his way to some emergency across town, when he saw Wonder Woman sunbathing on a rooftop, completely naked, legs open. Superman thought to himself, "God, what I wouldn't do to get stuck into that!" Then he remembered that, being Superman, he could be faster than a speeding bullet and could be in and out before WW even knew what happened. So Superman dives down and does his business, virtually in a blink of an eye and flies away again. WW sits up and goes, "What the hell was that?!" and the Invisible Man rolls off of WW and says, "I don't know, but my ass is killing me!"

Maybe that's where this sexual discovery began for Superman...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why should you back up your point with any statistics? Erm, I dunno, mayhaps so it lends credibility to your argument?

Perhaps you can elaborate what you mean by "my point is proven" and/or "this is the crap"?

What crap? That that vast minority of people are not bisexual? What on earth is contentious about that? If thats "my own views" then no, I'm not going to change them...unless you can provide some facts to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Kar Urban's portrayal was like to comic character coming to life and stepping out of the page. Olivia Thirlby was an appealingly less-pneumatic take on Judge Anderson.

"I noticed you're not wearing your helmet"

"I find it can interfere with my psychic abilities."

"Hmm. A bullet might interfere with them more."

Brilliant. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Then its given them some short term attention.

In reality noone really cares about this stuff anymore. Its not groundbreaking, its not brave its just whatever...

Anderson, that's the one Wave. I seem to recall her being all 70's big blonde hair and bewbs, with a smartarse attitude and not against serious arse kicking too. No wonder Dredd got on with her. 😁 I thought the Dredd flic was bloody brilliant, true to the character(at least how I remembered it) and wiped the mind of the awful Stallone outing. That bit where he announces himself over the intercom to the baddies and out of all the billions in the city and of all the judges they clearly know who he is and their blood runs cold. Brilliant. Pity no sequels were to be had. Apparently piracy played a large part in that. It was very popular but takings were too low because so many people had nicked it online. Given how popular and "iconic" Dredd is it was long a surprise why it didn't get much more of a cinematic treatment. These days with the massive advances in CGI and the ever lowering costs of same you'd think it would be a sure thing for TV too.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I am surprised that some here are taking the whole thread discussing how silly it seems to be newsworthy is seen as an attack on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Has the line ‘any of the <insert minority group being discussed about> I know don’t care about any of this and just want to get on with their lives.’ been trotted out yet?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Let's be honest...

If superman is bisexual? If superman wants to fúck elephants or masturbate with a jellyfish sleeve? Who's gonna stop him?

He's a "God" 😉 also, as the current Superman is a half-human, Alien mongrel? Is he/it/she/they even subject to the social construct of gender?

TLDR: Who's gonna stop him screwing whatever or whoever he/she/it/they wants to?

I said it Emmet.

Not exactly word for word but the general gist. Do you think it's a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Why wait, I'm sure there's probably fanfic out there already

wondering about Desperate Dan's marriage arrangements.

:D Haha. Academic paper incoming. Prepare to be amazed, Dan was Desperate in more ways than one!

Re: 2000AD - It was always ahead of its time. Strontium Dog was friends with a furry for goodness sake :D

He was fond of cow pie. Thats a new euphamism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I noticed the "alphabet community" slur in your opening post. So I think we both know where this comes from and its not about a discussion its about morality grandstanding from you.

On no that comic has a bisexual character what ever will happen to the children. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

News just in. Rambo is now a single mother with a mobility issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think its more the fact the the writers feel that they have to pander and change a CARTOON CHARACTERS 'sexuality' in case someone takes offense that there isnt enough gay/bi/trans role models in COMIC BOOKS !!!!

Its baffling ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Don't read the comics, but can't amount if matters a whole deal if he's gay/straight/bi.

Whoever he's with is likely to provide some support before finding themselves in some perilous situation that Supes will inevitably need to rescue them from.

He's got a secret identity, so his relationship with his sexuality isn't going to be that representitive of the community, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

So, is that really spiderweb thats on Spidermans hands ???

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Conan the gluten intolerant barbarian.

The creators of this think they are blowing people's mind when in reality most people just shrug and carry on as normal. They think they are upsetting millions of nazi Incels. When in actual fact the only reason people are annoyed at this is more at the motivation behind it. The idea that they need to be "educated" by these millenials fresh out of college with no life experience.

The "Bi community" makes me LOL. There is no such thing. It's a made up creation in the media because it conjures images of downtrodden victims huddling together for safety in the face of extreme threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,454 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You do realise that's all in your own head, right? I mean, you've completely invented all of that based on nothing more than your own opinion and ideas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1) Who cares

2) You shouldn't care either

3) If this news upsets you and you think it's some product of so called 'woke' culture you need to take a good long hard look at yourself and realise that the problem isn't superman being Bi, the problem is you. Maybe it's because you are a bigot or are repressing your own sexual identity. Maybe it's both, who am I to say. Remember, you don't own media and it doesn't owe you so expecting everything to conform to your own narrow ignorant world view is wrong.

Yes absolutely. It's called an opinion. Just like ar$eholes, everybody's got one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I agree with you completly here. the word community is added after many other words to describe groups and doesn't contain any of the connotations wojtek made up.

For example other common uses I have seen in the media include

The football community

The expat community

etc

Do these use of the word community have any of the connotations wojtek made up or as you said is it all in his head living rent free. weird stuff altogether

Advertisement