Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dave Chappelle's new special "The Closer" really transphobic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭cocotheclown

Biology hasn’t changed at all. And while intersex exists the occasions where there are any ambiguity is vanishingly rare. Gender Identity is a disbelief in sex, or biology at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don’t think they cancel each other out.

It’s true that the mob piled on and got hateful hashtags trending, but ‘cancelling’ someone doesn’t just stay online. It’s how the woke mob behave that has become a concern. And to those claiming that she has billions in the bank and therefore can’t be cancelled, I’m going to explain why that’s wrong.

‘Cancelling’ takes many forms and it’s usually death by a thousand cuts. Insane levels of abuse on social media. Protests at events where the cancelled person is to speak/appear. These have frequently turned violent or get called off when the mob set off fire alarms. Huge volumes of phone calls/mails to their agent/publisher/manager. Staff at publishing/media companies staging walk-outs. Coordinated complaints/protests to those who advertise or stock the cancelled person’s works. Doxxing attempts. And so on.

When all of that is directed at one person, no amount of money in the world will help with the stress/anxiety/depression that these intimidating acts cause. It’s fascism mixed with cowardly bullying. At this stage, some really clever person usually enters the room and says “I am really clever, it’s just the consequences of her voicing her opinion” whereas it is far more nefarious. It’s bullying and intimidating people into being silent and remaining silent if you’re not a member of the wokerazzi and hold the correct opinion on everything.

The desired result of cancelling someone is to force an apology, get them fired, or make it impossible for them to earn a living. In Rowling’s case, the mob wanted to make it impossible for her to be seen anywhere without being confronted at every turn. What good is all the money in the world if you can’t go anywhere because you stood up for women? What do you do when the wokerazzi got “PunchATERF” trending on Twitter, encouraging each other to punch Rowling if seen?

User @[Deleted User] was right when he said it’s rarely, if ever, trans people involved in this. It’s the whingebag activists who always seem to have a lot of free time on their hands for some reason.

TL;DR - Never apologise to the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement

I said she couldn’t be cancelled.

others have been cancelled. In fact there’s clearly a campaign to remove the Chapelle’s special. Which is a cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 32,270 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My point is cancel culture is real but usually only against people who have no real power....

I am sure Chappelle will speak out against this...

Netflix of course will do or say or side with or against whoever they think will make them more money.

Come on now, if you believe that's the real reason they were really suspended I could sell you some magic beans..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So someone should never voice displeasure at someone else in case it can be construed as attempting to cancel them?

And once again we see the use of the term 'woke mob' like it is something to be abhorred. Many of the advances we experience as a society originated in someone who would in todays world be categorized as being 'woke' standing up to say what has been going on up until now is not good enough.

I think you should reassess your use of the word facism in an age where we are seeing some groups using social media to express dislike of the views of someone, and others bringing in laws to prevent the wearing of masks or to limit the ability for freedom of expression and protest. Which elements are truly more akin to facism?

I've already said that I'm not overly convinced about the true representation behind an argument when evidence of the groupthink is limited to anonymous accounts on a social media platform.

I'm not sure most people (myself included) are educated or informed enough to express a concrete opinion on the finer details of the gender debate. It doesn't really affect many of us but it does seem to rile up people who see any sort of conversation about progression as more sign that the world they have been used to is changing. They might not even know to what degree but change does frighten a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's been widely reported that the person and two other employees were suspended after crashing a meeting of Netflix directors sometime last week and wasn't related to the Chapelle special

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I did not say you should never voice displeasure, but there are acceptable ways and there are unacceptable ways.

Acceptable: Write a blog, send them a courteous tweet/message on Facebook, create a YouTube video explaining why you are displeased. All civilised ways of voicing your dissent.

Unacceptable: Thinking you have a right to mob/accost anybody for expressing an opinion that does not align with yours. Harrassing their employer. Harrassing those who advertise or stock their products. Harrassing them on social media with playground insults. Physically body-blocking members of the public from attending events or purchasing their works. Using air horns/rape whistles/megaphones at events. Pulling the fire alarm. Publishing their address online. And so on. These are all tactics that intimidate and bully a person to suppress the opinion you disagree with, and this is the textbook definition of fascism.

So no, I won't be revoking my assertion that cancel culture is blatant fascism, designed to silence differing opinions by any means, deployed by those who lack the intellectual capability to debate the issue in a respectful and mature manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I guessed you could call it a transgression.

I'll deal with the main portion of your post first. Companies or individuals having to face questions from people as to why they hire someone or are associated with someone who has behaved in a particular way or said something or whatever it is is the other side of the coin that companies and individuals seek to capitalise on when someone has been particularly successful. When that situation exists, they want everyone to know that they are connected with this person and they want people to associate the perceived qualities or skills of that person with their brand. It's all a case of using the public mood in one way or another but companies are fine flogging merchandise with someone's image can't then get upset when that person displays an unsavory side and the company is asked how do they really feel about them.

These companies spend millions trying to cultivate their image amongst the public because they know they can make it back, why should the public fork out for goods, services, merchandise or whatever if they can't engage with them in a similar fashion.

And all sides do it. Don't pretend that this is unique to Leftist/SJW/Liberals as you implied in the first post I responded to. When people, up to and including the President of the US called for a footballer to be fired for calling attention to how people in his community suffered at the hands of the police, Nike continued to hire him. When this news emerged, people started burning their Nike branded shirts. Similar too when Gillette had a campaign asking men to set positive examples, people, collectively lost their sh*t over it and again announced to all and sundry that they were done buying their products.

Calls for someone to be fired create a little bit of noise, the silence within the NFL around Kapernick was a lot louder.

Finally to a secondary point I wanted to make. Below is a quote from your post.

So no, I won't be revoking my assertion that cancel culture is blatant fascism, designed to silence differing opinions by any means, deployed by those who lack the intellectual capability to debate the issue in a respectful and mature manner.

You reiterated this point when given examples of people who are making laws to prevent the use of mask mandates or to inhibit peoples access to vote. The left might stir up some noteworthy viral content, the conservatives are enacting massively impactful legislation such as that outlined. Do you still want to claim the examples of facism we see in todays society are those coming from some social media content amongst tens of or possibly a couple hundred people?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think it’s necessary first off to have a common understanding of what transphobia actually is if the question is being asked as to whether or not the show is transphobic. Wikipedia is just as handy as any really -

Transphobia is a collection of ideas and phenomena that encompass a range of negative attitudes, feelings or actions towards transgender people or transness in general. Transphobia can include fear, aversion, hatred, violence, anger, or discomfort felt or expressed towards people who do not conform to social gender expectations.

After having watched the show for myself (something I doubt 95% of online ‘reviewers’ have done), I don’t need the usual wokerazzi whingebags, or the anti-wokerazzi whingebags to have be believe anything one way or the other. I think the show itself is transphobic, simply because it adheres to the criteria above as to how transphobia is defined and how it is manifested.

Whether or not the audience it is intended for either loves it or hates it is not an indication of whether or not the show is transphobic. The issue isn’t whether or not he’s making jokes about people who are transgender, or that he can point to a single person in the audience who’s laughing their tits off at his jokes and thinks he’s ‘a master of his craft’, praise with which Dave awards them with an opportunity to open for his LA shows (I’m not sure the opening act would have fared any better in Atlanta or Detroit where the latest special was filmed).

I don’t think Dave Chapelle himself is transphobic, the question is about the show, and the material in the show is just one hour long justification as to why Dave Chapelle is pissy because white people who are transgender are getting more attention from white people, than black people get from white people. Whereas before Dave Chapelle made incisive social commentary that made his white audience take an uncomfortable look at themselves, this new show was none of that, and one joke about Jews that didn’t even land, does not constitute “making fun of everyone and anyone in his body of work over decades”. The only other groups in American society that Dave has poked fun at have been black people, and white people, with the odd pot shot at conservatives and liberals alike.

The reason he claims to have walked away from €50m is because he realised people were laughing AT him, not WITH him. People are laughing with him now too, they were laughing with him when he poked fun at black people, they were laughing with him when he poked fun at conservative white people (to be fair, his Clayton Bigsby sketch still induces tears of laughter), but Dave’s art has never been about money, it’s been about recognition and reputation. It was nothing for him to walk away from €50m when he knew he would always be seen in corporate America as what he told the TV Executive he wasn’t (see Sticks and Stones, the word is censored on Boards 😁). That’s why he walked. It wasn’t because he realised people were laughing at him, it was because he realised he would never be one of them!

It’s been a sore spot and the inspiration of much of his material and social commentary ever since (apart from his ‘stanky pussy’ rant about Candace Owens, which she appears to have rubbed his face in it… the joke I mean, not… never mind 🤨). Basically he’s always been bitter about the fact that white people don’t recognise his genius, they’re still laughing at him, and they’re still laughing at the absurdity of transgenderism too. People think it’s ridiculous.

Dave thinks it’s great that he’s being recognised for his biting social commentary again (because jokes about people who are transgender are so hot right now!), and Netflix Inc. are making far more than the $60m they paid Dave for setting himself up as a stooge for Netflix’s primarily white liberal audience to use as a buttress to say they’re neither racist nor transphobic, sure don’t they watch Dave Chapelle, a master of his craft?

And for his next trick… I mean, Netflix Special, Dave will be doubling down and spending a whole hour on Jew jokes by way of justifying the ten minutes of a Jew joke he made in his whole career, in his previous show -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Most of your post is literally stuff you've invented with little to no supporting evidence. You can't expect people to argue against things that have no concrete truths to them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

It’s not though, and there is plenty of evidence for any of the points I’ve made in my post* which was a response to the question being asked in the opening post, unless I should have taken the question as a rhetorical one given that Shield told me the answer I should believe is correct regardless of whether or not the evidence suggests otherwise?

*apart from whether or not Candace Owens actually has a stanky pussy, that one I have no evidence for either way, but as for Candace rubbing his face in it -

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I love comedians that take the piss out of absolutely everyone, nothing should be out of bounds. Trans, straight, black, white, Trump, Biden, disabled, Muslims, Catholics. If you are offended all the better.

It's certainly no Killin' Them Softly.

"Do you still want to claim the examples of facism we see in todays society are those coming from some social media content amongst tens of or possibly a couple hundred people?"

Today we have yet another example of cancel culture crossing the line. Emotionally-incontinent whingebags successfully hounded Sussex University into 'effectively ending the career' (Kathleen's words, not mine) of Professor Kathleen Stock OBE. They are demanding she is fired for stating simple biological facts that “makes trans students unsafe”. The tactics these cowards have used are identical to those used by fascists, which, by logical deduction, makes them fascists. "Our demand is simple: fire Kathleen Stock" they wrote. If anyone is making the campus unsafe, it's the mob.

Earlier this year, 'gender-critical' views held by Professor Stock were deemed to be a protected philosophical belief under the Equality Act but that doesn't stop these disrespectful, entitled brats from calling a tenured professor (with several peer-reviewed publications to her name) all the names under the sun on their Instagram account. Even though Stock's belief "may well be profoundly offensive and even distressing to many others" the court found that "they are beliefs that are and must be tolerated in a pluralist society".

It is clear that Stock's legally-protected views are not being tolerated by the mollycoddled woke mob who are doing everything they can to get her fired. They are using fascist tactics to achieve their goal, and that makes them fascists. Would the real AntiFa please stand up?

Dolores Cahill was a professor with several peer reviewed publications, it didn't stop her extolling rhetoric that led to a man with Covid being removed from hospital and subsequently dying from the disease.

You're throwing the hammer after the hatchet in insisting that the examples of facism we see before us are students/groups/bots/data analysts as opposed to the legislators/ministers/Presidents who are actually enacting restrictive and impactful legislation.

All the posts you want from people 'calling' for something can't hide the reality of where true influence is practiced.

• Advertisement

Interesting take on the Chapelle special from someone with a specific interest on the topic.

Link

I'm not asking comedians to stop telling trans jokes. I'm asking them to stop telling *the same* trans jokes over and over.

You are determined to police debate. "I'm not qualified on such matters and neither is anyone else" was the trite refrain last night. Shift the goalposts all you want, those that hold views diametrically opposed to yours should not be stifled because they call out political correctness. Chappelle is indiscriminate in his targets, there are no more sacred cows. Except at the behest of those who have led a sheltered life and rail against open-minded discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Chapelle should have let fly making fun out of the whole covid scenario, but all he did was treat it like every other established brand does. A sacred grim cow of no craic.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

FFS, what a ridiculous post.

You're first sentence is literally trying to get me to stop commenting probably because I interrupt the safe space some look for who want to wallow in permanent outrage at the world changing around them. Is that in itself not an attempt to 'cancel me'? The very thing you probably claim to be so against.

The fact that when someone doesn't have the same opinion as you and expresses is seen as 'policing debate' is very telling.

And HTF is posting an article from a trans person who doesn't have a problem with Chappelle moving the goalposts? Does it make it hard to be outraged when there's evidence that not all trans people want to cancel him?

Is the thread about whether or not Dave Chapelle’s latest show is transphobic, or is it about something else entirely?

I mean, in response to my earlier post, @TomTomTim suggested that most of my post is literally stuff I’ve made up with no supporting evidence, but all the evidence is there for anyone who has actually watched his shows and is familiar with his work and his background. This was basically the entire point of his latest show -

I don’t think Dave Chapelle himself is transphobic, the question is about the show, and the material in the show is just one hour long justification as to why Dave Chapelle is pissy because white people who are transgender are getting more attention from white people, than black people get from white people.

It’s summed up here -

Throughout the special, Chappelle creates a binary between oppression faced by Black people and LGBTQ2S+ people. 

“Any of you who have ever watched me know that I have never had a problem with transgender people,” the comedian says. “If you listen to what I’m saying, clearly, my problem has always been with white people.”

He then accuses the LGBTQ2S+ community of “punching down” on the Black community by “cancelling” figures like rapper DaBaby, who drew controversy this summer for homophobic remarks at one of his concerts. 

But in constructing his straw-trans argument, many social media users pointed out that Chappelle also seems to forget that Black queer and trans people exist—and that they actually face the majority of violence and oppression.

Are people not as entitled as Dave Chapelle to express their opinions or something? The difference between the thousands of them, and Dave Chapelle, is that for one thing he has far greater influence in society than any single one of them. It just so happens that a small number of people just don’t find his humour all that funny, and they are entitled as he is to express their opinions.

Let’s not pretend that there aren’t a greater majority of people who are quick to want to defend his opinions, because it gives them an opportunity to air their opinions about people who are transgender, or black, or whatever else, as though their opinions should be tolerated because Dave Chapelle said it and it’s art, free speech, etc.

Whether anyone wants to frame what they’re saying as art or free speech or anything else, doesn’t absolve them of criticism for their behaviour, and it doesn’t mean anyone has to debate with them respectfully or whatever else. It can be seen for what it is - basically trolling people, they don’t give a damn about any real world consequences for those people.

They don’t care about the effects their behaviour has on the people they’re setting up as targets, because they know those people don’t have the same leverage, as Chapelle himself puts it. He knows he can get away with his shìtty behaviour and people will make excuses for him. He also knows that the people he sets up as targets, don’t have the same leverage as he has, because they’re not being paid €60m to talk shìt and portray themselves as martyrs -

You did the same thing to me, in fairness:

"I think you should reassess your use of the word..." is an attempt by you to police the debate by trying to get me to use words that you approve of, no?

If you can't tell the difference between pointing out a flaw in an argument and asking someone to consider their point versus accusing someone of trying to police a debate and just dismissing their posts without any form of response, I don't know what to tell you.

Some day a lot of people are going to wake up an realise they have become the perpetually outraged snowflakes they have spent years complaining about. Not aiming that at you per se but the amount of complaining on this site lately because someone has the gall to disagree with what has been posted is off the charts. Think we might need to set up a 'safe space' forum for a few posters.

Ah you mean the meeting that a director who was attending invited her to?...which was a zoom.

Sounds like a firing offence alright.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Really? If a group of anti-vax Christian fundies tried to storm into a board meeting to demand that the Dr. Fauci documentary be removed from the platform how do you think that would work out? I'd say their feet wouldn't touch the ground on the way to the door and despite their 'sincerely held beliefs' I very much doubt they would be reinstated a day after their suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Advertisement