Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 big_red

ah! thanks graememk.. I'll look into that this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Wow thats plenty of power!

What do you use to connect to the BMS, cable or bluetooth?

If its cable, can you see all 3 packs on the battery monitor program?

I have the v2 BMS so no bluetooth unfortunately and I connect with RJ45 to USB cable. When the dip switches are set to the 3 pack in parallel configuration I can only see the master pack settings (which I think is all that matters for communicating with the inverter via Canbus)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

Was there not a post a while back where someone found that if only two wires were connected, you could see all packs

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Yes there was all right but it didn't work for me

Ah ok, I'm on the E10 board which doesn't use the dip switches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Eleusis

You should surly be able to charge faster than this.

This is most likely caused by the amps of the BMS. Looks like it's restricted to 100amps. What's max charge in amps of BMS? 100 x 48~ = 4800kw. ( Which matches your graph) The surge at the start might be cause it can only sustain 100a but can peak higher for short period

Or maybe max charge current of inverters is only 50amps each? Maybe settings are limiting it to 50a each?

BMS max charge is 200amps and inverter is 100amps. I'm assuming 2 inverters in parallel should therefore be able to deliver 200amps charge but maybe I have that wrong? here is last night for example - SOC was down to 20% before charging kicked off..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭championc

Look at each inverter data, and see which one stopped importing from the grid.

Is each inverter connected to a shared BMS ? Maybe it needed each inverter to have it's own BMS, but then to have the battery bank across the two BMS's

Thanks championc. The inverters are in parallel and the master inverter is connected to the master BMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 steviehobson

Hi guys, first time here so I hope I'm in the right place. I have recently put together a Seplos 280L. The original BMS, a V3, overheated whenever the sampling lines were plugged in, in particular the white one. I contacted the supplier, Fogstar, and they sent a replacement. The new board is fine in that it doesn't overheat but it won't run. I noticed on off grid Andy's video that as soon as he plugged in the front panel the leds and display lit up. My leds light up momentarily and then go off, the display does nothing. Because it's a replacement do I have to enable it somehow? There are no switches on the board, the on/off and RS 485 sockets are on the back of the case. There is a non latching button also on the back marked Balance Switch, pressing this causes it to flash along with a led on the balance board. I have checked and rechecked all the connections, also plugged in the Dry Contact lead, which says optional, but no joy. Struggling to get Seplos or Fogstar to comment. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

• Advertisement

You have to press and hold the reset button to switch it on. Keep holding it in until you see all the lights light up. Took me a while to figure that out too. Likewise to turn it off. Hold it in for a few seconds

Single tap just lights the screen for a few seconds and then it turns off

Hi Eleusis, thanks for that. Although I said I checked and rechecked the connections I couldn't quite figure out why the LED connection wasn't going to the display on the front but to the PCB on the back of the unit. This was how it arrived from Fogstar. So I changed it to the front panel and hey presto, we have lift off.

Just one other thing if I may, the cells in the build notes are shown as having polycarbonate strips and foam between each cell and also between the case top and bottom. If I put these bits on to every cell they don't fit into the cabinet, by quite a bit. So I have fitted the strips and foam to as many cells as I can and left the rest without so they are cell to cell. I gather the cells need to be tight for compression reasons, to stop deformation but is there a danger of damage to cells if they are in contact with each other I wonder? Never having done this before I'm just a little concerned to get it right.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭The devils

Good stuff delighted your sorted.

What version of battery monitor software do you have ?

Not sure if the latest is v2.1.12_20

I'm using the Dev Studio V1.6.0.15, seems to connect ok. I'll see if I can update it though. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mcmorrowg

Hi All,

Last night my seplos 280 (black box) had threw up some errors.

It seems to have happened just before the invertor was about to charge during the EV hours. The SOC looked to be at roughly 25% before the issue.

Two cells seem to have dropped voltage, cell 6 is down to 2.7v and cell 15 is down to 2.98v.

Anyone any recommendation on what to do?

Thanks

Gav

Hi, i checked all the busbars and they are all torqued correct. Havent moved since i put it together.

Below are more alerts and the BMS screen.

Any help appreciated

I'm by no means an expert as I'm only really beginning my journey with these myself.

Have you put a multimeter across the cell that's low? This could just be a case of a cell out of balance?

Do you have active balancer? Or passive?

Hi Eleusis,

I have a Neey 4a active balancer in the battery. Everything was showing as okay a couple of days ago.

Ill try check the cell tomorrow. I think i need to isolate the cells to get a proper reading. It will show up as 50v other wise.

Am i best top balaning again?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

@steviehobson Which cells do you have?

I had the same issue with my Envision 305ah cells into the 280L kit, some of them couldn't have the foam in between but honestly this is not an issue at all.

So far so good here, nice 15.4kwh battery pack, enough to supply the entire (big) house during peak hours even on dull days.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure. But certainly I'd put a meter across the bad cell to see if it's the cell or a connection. Is the neey set to come on at certain voltages?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

if You connect to a laptop you can see the log file and et a better idea what’s going on

If anyone is ordering from fogstar just remember it's takes a few weeks to northern ireland to land.

Anyone have any recent pics if there install v3 bms mason kit please 🙏🙏

Post edited by The devils on

The connection seems fine. I got the battery up and running again. Used the bench power supply to bring the two cells back up to 3.25v. The turned off the warnings on the BMS and it started charging. When the weather gets a little warmer i plan to take it apart and re-do the top balance. Hopefully that will get it running top notch.

Few pics so far however trying to see where these pics of leads go ?

Think that last pic - those ring terminals go onto the positive and negative of the batteries + and -

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olympicweights

Great to see it coming together.

I think I'm going to go the same route.

I have a 5kWh Puredrive battery at the moment and I've just moved to Energia EV tarrif so the bigger battery would work out well.

I'll get the V3 Seplos Mason kit from Fogstar and order 16 Envision 305Ah grade B cells from NKON.

Do these cells need to be topped up or balanced or will the BMS take cars of this for me? Hopefully the latter as this would be my weak point.

No pal BMS will take care of it, but what im going to do is something seplos /fogstar ad nkon hasn't and won't.

A real step by step guide with pictures..I wouldn't like anyone else to indure what I had to over the past few days...(a lovely gentleman from the UK helped me and only for him ?)

And I'm also sure that others have had issues with seplos and fogstar.

Anyway my friend yes order from nkon batteries and box from fogstar

🤣🤣 I even rang seplos direct and they sent me the wrong manual 🙈🙈

Chat soon

Keep this thread going strong it will help all of us 👍👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olympicweights

Sounds good, did you have any trouble selling your puredrive battery?

Advertisement