Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach teacher about my brother's non-uniform coat being seized?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

It's trying to teach kids, at a very rudimentary level, to show respect and to obey even the simplest of rules without throwing a hissyfit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I suggest taking out the salt cellar, and taking a large pinch of salt, before taking this thread too seriously 😉

Again, a common thread in Ireland. Blow the whistle and you’re the trouble maker. It happens in many aspects of life here and is only very recently coming to the fore.

If you look at the school system here and the kinds of behaviours a large aspect of it continues to instil, it’s not surprising that we have some of the issues we have had.

Nobody should ever feel they’ll be victimised for making a very reasonable complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Whatever the consequences, theft shouldn’t be the result...

id call the Gardai, his property has been stolen...

following that I’d write a letter / email to the department of education. Advising that any further attempt to bully him or force him to part with his own personal property will lead to you consulting a solicitor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Some people just help but make a bad situation worse! First of all it is not theft and the Garda will have no interest.

OP take path of least resistance. Turn, apologize for breaking the rules and collect the jackets. Then ask the teacher to explain the schools policy on wearing such vest while traveling to school, where they should be remove, stored etc since it is a health and safety issue. And since they have decided you are the responsible adult you are taking your responsibility seriously and need a written copy of the guidelines and perhaps a meeting with the principal or should you talk to the department of education or the press… since obviously safety is very important to you….

I expect an accommodation will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

OP Purchase a wig and put on some of your mother make and put on one of her dresses/high healers.

Then just go to the school and say I'm Mrs XXXX and I need my sons coat back. If they make an issue of it just say I've a bit of work done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There could well be a provision for it in law alright, other countries do have them if you Google it, but that might not hold up when it wasn't returned at the end of the day, it's a safety item and/or the student is over 18.

It'll never go far enough for us to find out though, purely academic

I think you'll end up having to apologise if you play it straight, if you really don't want to, then go passive aggressive, waste as much time of theirs as possible until they give it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Sounds like your brother needs to start going to school in Sweden if it is so great there.

The majority of teachers are normal human being however if this particular one is of the "power trip" kind id tend to agree with @maestroamado . Once you mention safety the Teacher will relent. Nobody wants to be partially accountable for any sort of accident

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That was kindof joke.... what i meant by "jail time" if there was an incident on bike and the fact that hi-vis was in the teachers drawers....

The guy with the salt may well be quicker on this one.... also Jeremy Sproket is a girl....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

This thread makes me thankful im not a teacher. A lot of people still haven't gotten over their teachers giving them a bollocking for being a little prick 30 years ago!

For what its worth it has to be zero tolerance with any deviation from uniforms. If teenagers get any sense they can take the p1ss they will.

Also this lad could have just worn a hi vis vest or a velcro strap and popped it into his bag when he arrived but just decided to wear a jacket knowing the rules. The school have given him a valuable lesson in adulthood.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

An 18 year old is not a kid. A teacher on a power trip deserves no respect

The people trying to say "it's not theft" cannot actually explain why it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's not theft because the kid handed the coat over, as he had agreed to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Handing something over because it was demanded doesn't stop it being theft. If it did, mugging would be legal.

A one sided "agreement" would fail any basis of being a legal contract so thats no defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

He's an adult. He could have just refused to hand it over.

How was it a one sided agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not theft. Schools are in loco parentis with respect to their students, which means that a school has the same authority over a student as a parent has over a child. This authority extends to the confiscation of contraband. This authority doesn't magically end when a student turns 18; the school derives its authority from the fact that he's a student, not from the fact that he's a child, so his 18th birthday is of no particular relevance.

(Also worth adding that it's largely irrelevant whether, or when, the schools uniform policy was signed by the student, or by his parents/family. The purpose of getting students/parents to sign these things is not so that they will become bound by them — they are bound by them anyway — but to avoid any arguments about whether they knew what the policy was.)

If the student doesn't wish to be subject to the school's authority or its uniform policy, he can withdraw from the school. As an adult, he's perfectly entitled to do that. He doesn't require the agreement or permission of his family.

It's also not theft for an independent reason. Even if the school were not entitled to confiscate the non-uniform coat, the confiscation would only be theft if the school intended to deprive the student his coat. We know that the school doesn't have this intention, because it has a process in place for returning the coat.

The school may be handling this matter badly, but what they have done is not theft. The problem is unlikely to be resolved satisfactorily by dramatizing it in this way.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'm LOLing at all the would-be Rosa Parks types in the thread. FFS!

The school has a clear uniform policy. The item of clothing is contrary to it, so it was seized. The fact that this kid was singled out to have his jacket seized whereas the captain of the hurling team wouldn't is another story (and a good life lesson by the way).

Apologise, retrieve the jacket. If you still have concerns about the policy, bring them up with the school and ask them to be changed.

Personally? I wouldn't bother my hole, just tell him to do a good leaving, go and get some qualification in someething he is good at, get a good job and go off and enjoy his life, basking in the satisfaction that they are stuck there forever in a sh1t job, having to deal with petty nonsense like confiscating jackets from people.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

OP - with apologies for stating what might be obvious to some, but by posting in after hours you are guaranteeing the most bullcrap nonsense answers.

Maybe thats what you want. I never know with boards. I see such crap being spouted on this forum that I would genuinely wonder if boards has a team of people starting up these threads to keep the numbers up.

There is a parenting forum if you genuinely want advice on this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recall a thread about a year ago where someone was saying their local school were so strict about uniformsm students cycling in weren't even allowed cycle onto the grounds wearing waterproof leggings. a zero tolerance approach on something like this ends up making a mockery out of the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

seriously - if he'd come in with some nike emblazoned padded jacket or something but reflective safety gear for cycling?

either the teacher is a loon or there's some missing context

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Forget about going to the gardai. That's ott.

Give the school one opportunity.

Hand the coat back by end of today or have the issue highlighted in the media and and official complaint made about the teacher in question.

And say that no further correspondence will be entered into.

Remind them that your brother is 18 and is an adult in the eyes of the law and ask if they really want to open a can of worms on their archaic and legally unenforceable rules that effectively prohibit attendees wearing safety clothing whilst cycling to school

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

all these suggestions about threatening the school with social media, etc., are a little bit 'escalatey'. he still has to go to school there and sounds like he's a sixth year so probably doesn't want to sour relations.

just go in, explain that it's safety equipment, ask them how do they think it looks if they're preventing students from wearing cycling safety equipment, yadda yadda.

you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They are not preventing him from wearing the yellow coat when cycling. The OP is quite clear that the uniform policy only applies in school and on school grounds.

He can wear what he likes when cycling to school. But, when he gets to school, he needs to wear the uniform coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"before we get to rules that were allegedly broken, please return his hi viz jacket as it's a safety issue not a uniform issue"

Advertisement