Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import a motorcycle from EU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

Bump! Great advice here, but I have a question... asking in hope more than anything else.

It's been said that if you get the bike up to 6,000km on the date of presenting for registration, then that value is taken for VRT. Doest that imply that it also gets you off the hook for the VAT? #wishfulthinking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

VRT on bikes has nothing to do with the value of the bike, just cc and age.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

OK, so if you can take it up to 6,000 km on the day of registration, there's no VAT? Even if the invoice shows a lower figure? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here...

Answering my own question: it's 'when entering the state', (https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/calculating-vrt/vat-customs-duty.aspx).

Which presumably is NOT the same as when registering, but at the same time Revenue say it is 'payable with the VRT'. So confusing

---------------------------------------------------

VAT may also be due on the acquisition of a new means of transport from another Member State. If you are not entitled to a VAT deduction, this VAT is normally payable with the VRT.

When entering the State, a vehicle is a new means of transport for VAT if either of the below applies:

• it is less than six months after its first registration
    • or
    • it has travelled 6,000 kilometres or less

--------------------------------------------------

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

Is Jarvis Transport still the best one to go for if I can't ride it back myself from Germany? I haven't bought anything yet, but am looking at a couple in different dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've used them and found them good.

Ted's Trucking has now shifted to EU shipping of bikes now too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I recently imported a bike from N.I. and the cert I got from the VRT office at the NCT centre had filled the CO2 and NOX boxes both as 999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

The literal definition of a box ticking exercise...... Did they put the power output at 55555?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Any particular German (or other EU) dealers that are recommended? Been after a clean, low mileage Gen 2 MT09 for some time but prices, and mileage, here seem a bit too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How do folks find dealing with German or Netherlands dealers relation to offers. I.e money off, haggling. Interested in Used GS but not too sure what should be offering really. E.g bike is 16,990 what would one ask bargaining wise without being construed as rude/off the wall.

Generally you can small haggle, but not by as much as the % we do here :)

If the price is (on balance) reasonable - they tend to advertise them for what they'd actually want for them - I'd have no problem pitching under the asking price by a bit. I think I got €500 of a €30k bike.

Historically, dealing with BMW dealers getting a couple of hundred off was a Big Deal.

I do think NL-ers are more haggle-able than the Germans.

[Edit: sis-in-law NL, has told me 10% is a fair pitch under the asking in NL]

Post edited by galwaytt on

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CONNOLL

Morning! Has anyone here used Jartka Trans for importing a bike. If so was is a good experience? Thanks

I used Jarvis and they were great!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Raj.ynwa

Hi,

anyone bought a bike from Germany or mainland Europe from a private seller and had it shipped using likes of Jarvis etc, How did ye pay for the bike? Online transaction on the day of collection?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Frank60

Hi

Great discussion here and very helpful for someone. like me, thinking of importing from Europe 👍

Question:

Do the VRT look for proof of transport like ferry ticket from Cherbourg to Rosslare etc. If you shipped from, say NL , via UK to Ireland, would they look for both ferry tickets? Has anyone taken that route via UK?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Yep, well just to prove how it entered the country.

Revolut... paid deposit in advance, the rest on the day of collection.

• Advertisement

yes, you'll need to provide proof of ferry etc : they take a copy of it.

Ode To The Motorist

If you use someone like Jarvis, they'll give you proof of the ferry...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The ticket is actually very important because that's the date of entry. So vrt is calculated from that date.

Thanks all.

I guess the reason for the ticket question is that I intend to buy in NL, ship but not import to UK, get some engine work done by a tried and trusted shop in UK, then ship to Ireland after maybe 1 to 2 months ,depending on level of work required, then register/VRT in Ireland. Assuming I can get it into UK without importing it, will Irish VRT/Customs process it as an EU bike (bike is registered in NL and is 45 years old) even though the ferry date from NL to UK could be two months old. Does it matter when the bike left NL, will they still process it as an EU bike on entry to Ireland attracting no VAT/VRT because of age/mileage etc? Hope this makes some sense 🤔

Just show the UK-RoI boarding pass - that's all that matters. I had mine paid for long before I collected mine, so my buy date and shipping date didn't match anyway, so it's moot.

Ode To The Motorist

Sounds alot of effort. Why not bring here VRT it then drop to UK shop at your leisure.. saves all the customs Work which will not be as handy as you may believe into the UK then onwards here.

You're absolutely right, I wasn't thinking clearly. I have brought a couple of Jap 4x4 into Ireland via UK, pre Brexit, there was a huge VAT saving (5% vs 23%), even then it was tricky enough. Thank you 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I live in France and the best place to look for bikes here, even from professional sellers is leboncoin.fr (the link to motorcycle category is: https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche?category=3) (it's the French equivalent of donedeal or buyandsell but as I say, professional sellers list there also systematically)

Hey just wanted to confirm. A NI reg bike new in 2019 isn't VAT applicable just VRT , that's correct right ?

• Advertisement

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement