Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the jnlr a load of nonsense ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭standardg60

In reality, given todays multi-media, variable household make-up, viewing figures can be nothing more than back of the envelope nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭RoTelly

They always where TBH.

Even when you take a standard family in the 1960 you have to consider how many people actually had a TV

In the 1970s less so, by the 1980s and 1990s you have the video recorder and rentals.

And in each era you have cinema to a greater or less extent.

Did TLLS really have the numbers that are suggested, considering people going to the PUB and other entertainment venues.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

How do FM104 get away with still calling themselves Dublin's No1 hit music station when spin1038 is officially No1 for some time now according to the jnlrs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Depends on what Number1 Hits means. It is not exactly a quantifiable stat so it can mean any amount of things; sure aren't they all number 1 in some demographic or others?

For the record, RTÉ 1 outruns Spin in the JNLR numbers wise 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’m pretty sure the point was Spin is the no. 1 hit music station. RTE Radio 1 isn’t a hit music station.

Fm104 used to have the no. 1 hit music station line in their Twitter bio but it’s gone now. Do they still say it on air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Their logo is FM104 Dublin's Hit Music Station.

Funny I though 98fm was the Capitals most listened to station.

______

Yesterday

Probably if you go into the small print, all of them will qualify it with some reference to age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I didn't say that RTE 1 was a hit music station, just that it's the most listened to station. That aside, Spin can rightfully say that are the most listened to music station. However without the JNLR that claim would be flimsy to prove. For now, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 examiner Reader

Conall Ó Móráin has an opinion piece in today's Irish examiner agreeing with the op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, and he comes from a broadcasting background and has doubts.. The numbers are way off in the younger age brackets for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

Definitely. It’s bit of an unpopular opinion in these parts I’d say but I think conventional radio is in its twilight years now. There will always be a spot for radio 1 strengths like current afffairs and sport but I’d say a lot of people under 40 listen online and maybe mostly because the car still has old school FM but otherwise people now have access to whatever they want to listen to online and can listen whenever. JNLR has always appeared to be a nice sampling exercise to keep everyone largely happy and drive what’s left of advertising revenue. Kind of like fiddling while Rome burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think one JNLR is pretty useless but if you look at patterns over a long period of time they give a fairly good indication.

One sample could be dubious, but it's unlikely that an established pattern over years is.

Like there are some stations the JNLR are always quite bad for, and generally the consensus would be that those stations are in fact pretty weak.

EG Radio Kerry has always scored well and is known for decent content but say KCLR has always scored pretty badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Butson

The sample size, just under 17,000 in the last one, is pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Q: "Is the Jnlr a load of nonsense?"

A: Yes.

Furthermore a collective of all stations gathered at The Gibson Hotel in 2018 for the (ripoff parody of RadioDays Europe!) "RadioDays Ireland" were told this directly point blank by the two heads of two of the largest Ad Agencies / Mediabuyers in The Republic. They were told clearly that ad agencies do not care about JNLR's they care about brands and unique, compelling content that fits the products or services they wish to advertise or book time for. You should have been there to cut the atmosphere of consternation and disbelief in the room that day. It was akin to that time when Patrick Kielty hosted the IMRO awards in Kilkenny and basically made the industry the butt of his jokes for the night. Again "consternation" was the awkward mood of the night!!

But do the station heads not realise this anyway? I’m only a regular Joe with no involvement in radio bar as a listener but it’s obvious, I think, that they’re only point is to allow stations to air news about theirselves and how great they are. I’ve yet to hear a news story on the JNLRs not surface around the relevant time and there seems to be something in there the everyone as amidst any bad news there is also good press nuggets as well. Obviously the bad news doesn’t see the light of day.

The only places I see them at alll relevant is in regions or large urban areas. Otherwise RTE has a monopoly on radio fur many given its longevity and in rural areas they’re competing with the local station which is also important.

For Cork/Dublin and those markets they might have bearing alright.

Do you have a link to that? It goes directly against this from the advertisers:

The role of JNLR Committee is to ensure the radio industry in Ireland and its stakeholders have access to the most robust and reliable listenership data available. As you know, the JNLR, Ireland’s national listenership survey, is the largest media survey in the country. It is balanced and stratified in each local radio franchise area, leading to a combined national sample of 16,500 respondents annually.

Over the past 24 months the JNLR Committee has been actively listening to industry voices in relation to debate around the methodology currently used to gather the JNLR research. As a result, the Committee has undertaken a review of the approach currently adopted in the Irish market, comparing and contrasting it with alternative methodologies used in other markets, with a particular focus on the approaches being used and under consideration for the UK market.

Having undertaken a full review, at considerable cost, and having explored international best practice in radio audience measurement, the Committee concluded the current Day-After Aided Recall is best practice for the Irish market at this current time.

That raises as many questions as it answers. Who is on this committee? As You Were sounds suspect if our closest neighbour has changed they’re methodology. We’re not all that dissimilar, so either they’re incompetent or have vested interests. It just sounds like if they change the methodology of data gathering it might unearth uncomfortable stats. I feel you might not have to dig far to uncover that very little live radio is listened to by a large section of the population and a lot of the ear time revolves around non national podcasts and radio stations. I know somebody is targeting international radio as TuneIn streams do carry shíte ads now.

The thread lay dormant since 2022. All of the arguments where thrased out before, look back to get the answers. The methodology has been examined, and the quarterly figures are there to be pored over. People advance their personal feelings and their own listening habits as evidence. But they never give any figures to disprove the JNLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

Dont know any 15 to 30 year olds that listen to any radio.They barely watch linear tv never mind radio.

• Advertisement

If you surveyed 16,000 people, you would come across some who do.

Adults Aged 15-24 Table 2: Average Weekday Yesterday Listenership.

NATIONAL * 65.9%

* Indicates the proportion tuning to the station at some time on the day.

There is also a TV Ratings thread where you can share your research.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057421931/ratings-watch-thread/p55

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

You weren't at the IMROs the year Dermot Whelan took strips off Bauer about the cash machine so! Radio heads still talk about that night.

I put this link to the methodology on Page 1. If you can find any fault with it, point it out. Particularly your claim that they are using ridiculous figures for the 15 to 24's. What figures do you have?

https://info.ipsosmrbi.com/assets/files/jnlr/methodology/JNLR%20Methodology%20Report%20Apr'18.pdf

By what means should any of us be aware of individuals who are on the JNLR panel? I don't go round asking people stuff like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was surveyed, once, over 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Likewise I've never been asked and never heard anyone mention it either.

I do however receive 'regular' calls from a certain polling company in relation to business surveys. I made the mistake one day of helping a nice friendly young lady who just had a few questions and needed to fill out her quota. Since then these are the only type of polling/ survey calls I receive, so figure I must be on some list there/ profile now.

I suspect it's the same for the JNLR, that they just ask the same panel of people all the time pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In general, I think many people would see the listenership claims for the 15 - 24 age group as somewhat inflated.

Reading the results and promotional material, you would think we're back in the 90s - with teens eagerly tuning in to the Hotline on 2FM. This simply is not the case.

If radio disappeared tomorrow many in this age group would not even notice. It's simply not on their radar. They have everything they could ever need on their phones.

This is why the survey results are getting questioned.

I was never really a radio person. I didn't have MTV. But from what I could gather most people were watching music TV (MTV, TOTP, TOP30HITS, BEAT BOX, 2TV etc) or were buying CDs. But Then I am not big into music either.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

Exactly.Denis O brien knew the writing was on the wall for the 15 to 35 year old demograph.thats why he sold out coomunicorp,At a fraction of what he paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheBMG

the other side to that argument is that his radio group was purchased by Bauer (who have added to their Irish portfolio since).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

RTE Radio One plays music (albeit for only part of the day) and a lot of that music is hit music (albeit mostly from decades ago) ergo RTE Radio One can just as validly claim to be a hit music station as anyone else.

RTE Radio Two/2FM for a long time played jingles claiming to be "Irelands Number One" (They possibly still do. I haven't listened to them in about 25 years) Irelands number one what was never entirely clear since by all reports they always had fewer listeners than RTE R1.

RE:Background listening in shops petrol etc why would this be counted for JNLR purposes when folk are hardly doing so out of choice ? Indeed if one heard a snippet of some station while in a shop without how would they even know (and why would they care) what station it was ?

Advertisement