Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratings watch thread

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Record breaking figure for VM/TV3 on Saturday, with 1,378,000 average for the Irish Quarter-Final match.

RTE will suffer as well with them supposed to have exclusive Irish semi-final match, but no longer have that now.

It'd be interesting to find out the process from VM and RTE when selecting those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I suppose it was chance, did RTÉ get an extra Irish game in the qualifying stages? It will be interesting to see if they hold the audience for the semi-finals and finals, generally not as much as the Soccer World Cup.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Not that I think TV isn't on the way out but... RTÉ's player isn't really replacing TV and that means others clearly are.

RTÉ hope that the player will achieve 100m streams by the end of they year.

That's on average 12k per hour (365days, 24hours).

The interesting thing about their press release is that they don't actually release any real numbers except

July 26th was the biggest day of the year on RTÉ Player with over 250,000 hours of content streamed on the day that Katie McCabe led the Republic of Ireland in a crucial clash against Canada during the FIFA Women’s World Cup.

[actually that doesn't tell us anything 250,000hours streamed by how many people?]

and to say that soaps had 20m streams (and they are the biggest show on RTÉ), while not mention I assume this includes Ros Na Run, Shortland Street and Doctors. That's not that many stream across soaps that air about 2hours a week of content each.

Top 10 programmes on RTÉ Player in 2023

1 EastEnders

2 Home and Away

3 Fair City

4 KIN

5 The Saturday/Sunday Game

6 Rugby World Cup 2023

7 Happy Valley

8 Love/Hate

9 The Late Late Show

10 FIFA Women’s World Cup

It is interesting to see the soaps at the top of the list, but I'd love to know the streaming numbers for the top episode over any of the 3 soaps.

TV is dead and the Soap is dead. Long live TV Soap!

______

Yesterday

Average audience for 2023

______

Yesterday

Thanks, would you have 2022, just to compare if any channels saw a rise or decrease?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately TAM Ireland failed to update the site for Dec and Aug figures in 2022. And I bang on that door :( So below you can see average ex both months.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

no major change then in 2 years?

I presume market share for Sky is similar so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

How can Channel 4 have almost the same audience as Challenge? My goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, true - but even still, there is a huge volume of people in Ireland with a pay TV platform (Sky, Virgin, Eir, Vodafone) or even FTA satellite. These all these have direct access to Channel 4.

So, the quality content on Channel 4 results in almost the same audience share as a station showing endless repeats of Bullseye and The Chase?

That can't be right. For me, that then throws into question the rest of stats for the other stations.

• Advertisement

That figure, I believe, is only for Channel 4's opt out channels. So those on getting C4 via sat is not include. I could be wrong.

Also I'd say Channel 4 is no long considered a mainstream channel in Ireland as it has multiple channels. I think their audience has been diminished because of their suite of channels. The current opt-outs put Channel 4 as the 5th biggest broadcaster, this excluded E4 extra, 4 music, Film4 +1, More4 +1 and 4Seven. (and potential those watching non-opt out services).

It would be interesting to know how the 26% of viewers who do not make up those figures are broken down by Broadcaster.

I'd argue that BBC, Channel 4, Channel 5 and ITV make up most of that 26%.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The Late Late, at 372k, delivers more of an audience for RTE than any potential alternative, but can hardly be said to delivering on the expectations of Kielty's appointment. Room To Improve, on 402k, and Dancing with the Stars, on 364k, are as reliable for advertisers as ever, but one can understand why Bakhurst recently highlighted Nationwide as having potential for expansion, as its three weekly episodes averaged 290k on what presumably is a shoestring budget.

Little to report elsewhere, though First Dates Ireland (133k) continues to perform for RTE Two, and rather surprisingly, none of the VM1 soap episodes breached the 200k mark despite relatively weak opposition.

Top programme on RTÉ2 this week was Investec Champions Cup with 169k with First Dates getting 133k (Adults +15) last week.

All other shows under 90k

I though RTÉ2's Selling Ireland's Dream Homes was a repeat but I believe it was new, had just 55k, the only other 2 Irish programmes are repeats My Bungalow Bliss (71k) and Home Rescue (46k).

Great Australian Railway Journeys had 41k at number 20 meaning all other shows had under 41k viewers.

This is RTÉ2 for the last decade, meanwhile Bakhurst begins to actually look at where the audience is, well they aren't on RTÉ2. Also the only American imports on the top 20 are movies and the Golden Globes!

Last weeks schedule

______

Yesterday

Interesting to See Ireland AM in the top 20 this week. It has been there before but 2 entries

Ireland AM on Thursday had 78k and on Wednesday 81k, while the Sunday show had 93k. Did something happen on Thursday and Wednesday? While their Six O'Clock rarely appears, I wonder how the 7 news is doing.

______

Yesterday

Never seen that before either. Those are some brilliant ratings, and plus it's a 3 hour show.

Although looking a different way, it shows how poor the prime time offering is on VMTV One outside of the soaps if they struggle to get into the Top 20.

Advertisement