Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the jnlr a load of nonsense ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neither TVs nor (particularly) radios use much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Background listening is also an aspect covered by JNLR. Within the specific listening time segments, you will be asked if you heard a radio - even in shops, garages, another house, it the workplace etc... it is not all down to owning a receiver and turning it on to a specific station or programme. It tries to record total exposure, even when you have not specifically chosen to listen or are not in direct control of what you are listening to.

How effective that capture is, may be down to further argument, but it does try to cover as broad a listening base, as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Yeah, that was my point. Someone was saying it seems high that 80% of adults hear the radio every day.

But even if you don’t consider yourself a radio listener, you’re likely to still hear the radio throughout the day. I would say they seem accurate in that respect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You seemed to have missed my point.

People are anoraks want to here these stats, much like they like to see stats on a You Tube video. And in general (in the past) when TV was relevant you rarely heard about the daily stats of TV channels unless its a big sporting event or The Late Late Toy Show, but the stats are available as you point out daily and updated weekly and possibly monthly now, but yet Newspaper columns are always more interesting in how Today FM is doing.

My point wasn't about traditional/linear broadcasting.

Indeed back in the day (like nowadays) people also watch non-linear programming via VHS recorded programming and rented films, which were never part of the TAM system, much like tapes and CDs listening.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I know plenty who don't have a radio in the house and use only smartspeakers so I'd say that 5% is out of touch. The only radio I own is in the car and in the home I would use a smartspeaker or the television if I wanted something from the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How many thousands, and over how many minutes? What were the options given in the poll?

I never thought of asking other people whether they have a radio in the house. And I certainly wouldn't go round looking in their rooms if I was visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Good for you. I'm not asking people either. All kinds of irrelevant things come up in conversation between people. Someone might say did you hear X or Y on the radio and they'll reply "I don't have one"

Depending on how many you mean by "plenty" and how representative they are of the whole population, it could be useful research. But not robust enough to conclude that 5% for smartspeakers is out of touch. This is why the JNLR is not nonsense, it uses real proven research methods from a large representative sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Here we go again. Standby for social media blitz from DJs and stations.

”Everyone is awesome!”

https://www.bai.ie/en/download/137446/

• Advertisement

Funnily when you look at that link, it looks like only five or six stations improved (iRadio, Sunshine, Spin 1038, Cork’s 96FM/C103 and Radio 1). The rest are all minus but I’m guessing there’s more statistics available than that and we just don’t get to see them.

Two youth stations iRadio and Spin 1038 seem to have improved most which is positive for radios future!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ZaK23-54

JNLR’s have been found out at last.

Saying 69% of under 25’s listen to radio...hello????

A lot of under 25s are going to live at home and be in the car with their parents regularly who listen to the radio. They might not actively be choosing to listen but they’ll still be listening

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

Journalist Tom Lyons mentioned this on twitter awhile back, he made the point that if one takes the jnlrs at face value, it means that Spotify, YouTube, Podcasts etc etc have had minimal to no impact on FM radio listening the past decade, something about that doesn't add up.

I looked at a JNLR summary from 2012, and compared it to one from 2021. It shows that 85% of over 15's reported listening to some radio "yesterday" in 2012, but only 80% in 2021. If he is saying that the actual number of listeners has held up, that would be accounted for by the increase in population.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

JNLRs are a joke - It’s all falsified to keep advertisers in the game of Radio ads

Sometimes I decide to listen to Spotify and podcasts if I’m in the mood for something but sometimes you just don’t want to choose so you just stick on a radio station and listen to whatever is happening there. I’m sure I’m not the only one either.

And surely an awful lot of people listen to the radio in their car. There’s so many factors to consider there like. There is still a fair amount of cars without bluetooth or aux cables. A lot of people with kids might not want to play their podcasts while in the car with the kids. On short journeys, it might be easier to just listen to the radio than starting and stopping their podcasts or listening to Spotify, where you might want to skip a few songs and it’s awkward and not worth it when you’re only in the car for ten minutes.

I’m not saying they haven’t had an effect because they have, but Spotify/podcasts serve a different purpose to radio and there’s a strong place for both of them.

Surely CDs, MTV and personal music devices over the years have also had no impact. Perhaps you are reading the statistic incorrectly.

How many minutes of Radio does the JNLR suggest we listen to per day and what was that number 10 or 20 years ago.

Have to say I have never been a big radio listener except in the car.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20 floppylaces

Talk to anyone under 25 out there if they listen to radio and generally speaking they just don't. I wonder if someone is surveyed and say they don't listen to radio what happens? do they account for that, or just move on to the next person.

it's blatantly obvious that the figures they publish don't add up. The biggest mystery to me is how advertising agencies are yet to cop the BS and keep spending money on radio advertising. Only a matter of time before spending dries up

An awful lot of advertising on the radio nowadays is from government agencies, seems to be very much a case of taxpayer assistance by the backdoor

• Advertisement

How many people under 25 did you ask?

The JNLR system is paid for by the radio stations, who depend on it to be accurate. It's blatantly obvious that if they did not trust it, they would not fund it.

You would have to listen to thousands of hours of radio every week to come to that conclusion.

This was a couple of years ago now but I remember seeing Spin 103.8 go on TikTok and Jaz and Laura would get teenagers commenting saying things like “oh my God, it’s Jaz and Laura” or “I was just listening to you today and now you’re on my TikTok.”

A Lot of people under 25 still have an interest in radio and they still see it as ‘cool.’ Otherwise presenters like Marty Guilfoyle and Jess Maciel wouldnt have massive followings on TikTok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭standardg60

About 12 years ago I came across one of the boxes they use to monitor the channel viewed, installed in the home of a late middle-aged couple, kids had left.

He was severely mentally incapacitated by a brain injury, she was of traditional, conservative, mass-going country stock. Yet they were deemed to be the typical demographic of a suburban Dublin housing estate.

I've never believed a word of the viewing figures since.

Did you go into every household, they would represent they older demographics of the country. Did you ask her how long she on the panel?

______

Yesterday

It had just recently been installed but was there for a good few years afterwards (i worked for them before and after, so knew them well).

It was more the geographical demographic i was pointing out cos it was way off.

Is it just done on age and not geography? How is the younger demographic extrapolated? Do they just assume a family of parents and kids are all sitting watching the same tv a la Gogglebox?

I've seen a similar "out there" statistic that every copy of the RTE guide magazine sold is read by is an average of 6 people.

No doubt a figure arrived at by a commissioned survey

Hello sir, what can i do for you?

I'd like to commission a survey please

Certainly sir, and what would you like the results to be?

I would have thought it was only for one year, and it should be more geographical than it is, to have good results from the TAMs you'd need to divided it like so

1000 in each province and Dublin

of the 5000 1000 with sky, 1000 with saorview, 1000 with cable and 1000 "without a TV" and 1000 getting TV from Sat and spillover

within the 5000 an even split between rural and urban, an even split between different types of families (single people, couples, young kids, adult kids and so on) and an even split between dwellings (apartments, houses, renters, owners and so on).

You'd then correlate your stats based on the CSO demo country demographics.

Especially considering how much they spend on the TAM ratings.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

In-car listening makes up the bulk of it alright, although smart speaker streaming of radio stations increased over Covid as people worked from home and wanted some background music.

I saw research before from the USA, by Edison that showed the growth of Spotify (& Pandora over there) basically just replaced time spent listening to CDs/MP3 players. It also showed that people listened to online music streaming services more if they paid for it rather than the free ad-supported versions.

Advertisement