Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the jnlr a load of nonsense ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I agree.....they are made up of RTE minions and other vested interests....

The same people that think Ryan Tubridy deserves an overinflated salary....

Disgusting

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

It’s all about digital now, listeners online & smart speakers, The JNLR’s are so out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Are you saying the research company (IPSOS-MRBI) are faking the research?

Or using dodgy methodology?

Or are you confusing your behaviour & the behaviour of your family/friends with the behaviour of the entire country?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

The best analogy I can think of is

Rats refusing to jump or even acknowledge the ship is sinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

It's an absolute nonsense. Every time they come out, there's a deluge of minor injuries caused by over exuberant back patting.

I never heard of a JLNR that came as a disappointment to anybody.

• Advertisement

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to think that there is something very very fishy about these figures https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/live-radio-has-79-share-of-daily-audio-market-jnlr-finds-1.4662398?mode=amp The Idea that the vast majority of the youth spend more time listening to FM radio than to Spotify or YouTube is completely off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Whoever is supposed to be lying, it does not help RTE.

Of the 15 to 24 year olds only 15% of those listening are tuned to RTE. Radio 1 4%, 2FM 10%, Lyric 1%.

Without government bodies advertising the state broadcaster would be sunk. The advertising companies are happy to take their tithe of the revenue that goes to the state broadcaster but private industry are looking to Social Media for maximum impact for their advertising buck. The less and less Advertisers are interested in advertising on the state broadcaster or regional radios the more the taxpayer will have to step in to keep their "shows" on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

To be quite honest there was a dip in all marketing spending that has affected all media outlets, print and broadcast. The ads that go out on RTÉ regarding Covid19 also go out on Independent stations and although they are paid for, they are charged and treated as public service announcements and bring in a fraction the income of regular ads.

That aside, RTÉ don't charge a fraction of what they could or should or ought to for their radio ads, nor do they carry as much as ad traffic per hour. Off peak ad traffic is minimal as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I'm not too far outside the under 25s bracket and most of my friends listen to the radio in some way, shape or form across the day. It would usually be thrown on in the background in the office wherever I've worked and then people would chat in the morning about what they heard on the radio on the way into work. I don't think that age group are glued to radio but they're still interested and listening.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RTE do not appear to even attempt to sell and or promotional time to the same extent as independents. For which the independents should be quite happy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ahh, the JNLRs - where everyone's a winner. I've had my doubts about these for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Always thought they were a pile of utter nonsense and lacking any credibility, other ratings releases are just beggars belief, how for example can it possibly be determined and so quickly a specific number watched a late late episode, Toy Show, All Ireland match etc, there are so many ways to view an event it just seems utterly nonsensical the figures released literally within hours on occasion.

Alot of the data released seems to be used to justify outlandish salaries in RTE and of course drive advertising rates.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The methodology used is there for anyone to see. As far as RTE goes, and from memory, at no time, for any region, for any age group does RTE (all their stations) ever get more than 50% of the listening audience. Also for the available audience no RTE programme hits more than 12%. They would need to make a much bigger effort to falsify the figures, if they want to justify anything.

https://info.ipsosmrbi.com/assets/files/jnlr/methodology/JNLR%20Methodology%20Report%20Apr'18.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

Happy to be corrected on this, but as far as I know JNLR is based on self-reported filling out of forms. Blocks of fifteen minutes and you mark if you listened for eight or more minutes during any block. As well as potentially biasing the subjects, how could that method ever be expected to be accurate?

I'd strongly suspect the underlying models are not keeping up with the pace of change of the market and technology.

The one thing I would say though is that the reality of value of advertising on radio or TV will be worked out by advertisers, ad agencies and PR companies quite easily. They do a lot of analysis, especially the bigger ones.

I know for example on ILRs the cost of placing ads seems pretty cheap at the moment, which would tend to mean the ad spend is going somewhere else. Some of it could also be explained by economic slow downs especially during the lockdowns, but I would be cautious not to overestimate that effect and ignore technology change.

At the end of the day, the usefulness of ratings systems comes down to what advertisers get back in sales generated.

If you run a campaign on a radio station, you evaluate its impact on sales or engagement quite easily and if you don't see a conversion rate, you'll be adjusting your advertising plans to use other channels.

You also get people trying to convince you that there are X impressions per day/hour on certain websites etc, and a lot of the time it really doesn't stack up either intuitively or in terms of what you get back in terms of interest.

It's inevitable that you're going to see spend on broadcast media drop. There's no way around that as the technology is changing extremely rapidly and I honestly think it's happening a lot faster than the industry itself comprehends.

The RTE advertising rates are published. They show that higher charges are made for ads during programmes which according to JNLR have the biggest audiences.

Yeah, but ultimately the market sets the rate. You can see it across the board. I mean if you look at the plethora of broadcasters on satellite at present, that absolutely has to take a massive cull. You can also see a gradual decline in the quality of advertising on most of them. That same phenomenon will inevitably be playing out on radio and tv here.

Your rates are ultimately set by what people are willing to spend and value for money will be calculated by the advertisers, not the platform.

There are definitely still some big ticket shows on RTE radio and tv, particularly around the likes of good speech content like current affairs, that isn't replaceable very easily online, but there's a lot of generic stuff that most definitely is.

A lot of Irish radio stations are just 'churning out the hits' like it was still 1995 and providing nothing particularly unique.

The way I see it developing, RTE is potentially in a much better position than most other players in the market because they have the ability to produce complex content. It's the filler stuff, and I would probably include almost every music station in that, that could fizzle away. I think in the next decade or so you're going to see a smaller and more concentrated radio market here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The TV ratings are not undertaken like JNLR surveys.

They are done through set top boxes connected to the TV that lists what is being watched, for how long and by whom. All family members are separately identified and there is even scope to add visitors, if watching programmes. If anyone pops out to make a cup of tea, they are expected to push a button the remote to say when they start and stop viewing. The data can be collected and released so quickly because the boxes call back to base in the middle of the night and report their stats. Supplimentary stats are released later when online or on demand stats are calculated for the main stations that have those facilities.

The sample number of boxes polled for the info is statistically calculated to account for total population number and geographical spread. Further stats such as age and gender of viewers are calculated from the individual viewer login data - ie age and gender of each family member registered, or any visitor watching.

I did it for a few years, but gave it up when far more channels and viewing platform options became available and I didn't want the hassle of keeping track of all the options. It was interesting to see the process in action, but a pain to meet the requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I had a vague idea how TV ratings done , just wondered how accurate they are

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I think the reason the industry speak so highly of the jnlr system is that it protects the status quo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

And with good reason too. It's incredibly detailed, with hundreds of pages of time and number crunching of virtually all quarter hours and all regions. While us laymen may doubt some of it's figures, both radio stations and marketing firms are happy enough with it's portrait of the listenership at any given time.

Red FM and 96fm both claim to be No1 in Cork every jnlr day 🙄🙄🙄

Lots of posters here don't seem to understand how research, and specifically sampling, works.

It's not guesswork!

This is my point-that they are invariably useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Havig read their methodology, it's not far off guesswork.

It's not the JNLRs themselves, although they are invariably pointless, they are no doubt a nice payday for someone.

The issue is, every radio station in the country euphemistically pulls the stomach out of themselves every time the results come out.

Ipsos MRBI/JNLR 2021/4 Summary Results The latest JNLR/Ipsos MRBI report into radio listening is published today (10th February 2022). It covers the period from May to December 2021. Due to Covid-19 restrictions there was no interviewing conducted in January, February, March and April 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’ve always been curious as to how you can accurately calculate listenership/viewership of a broadcast medium. Personally I don’t think you can. There’s no return path so the device can’t phone home and say “hey, I’m tuned in”, and I’m sure there would be privacy concerns if it were ever tried. I know they use sample audiences but there’s surely limitations to that.

Advertisement