Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They don't. Its same in other countries about scrum being 1.5m max below Under 19 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

where's Oji. you'd think they could do with a bit more physicality.

what is it with Irish rugby and purposefully trying to minimise our physicality.

any other notable omissions apart from the injured?

Ihecji still in school so was busy with exams in recent weeks....

And how were irish minimising their physicality....

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

ah ok thought he was finished.

we value skill and workrate/aerobic ability over size. I'd imagine Oji and guys like Sean Edogbo and Spicer won't be in the conversation.

Sean French is an example of a big physical winger getting cut.

anyway we have people on here who think Leinster and Irish rugby don't have a physicality issue. its not soley down to genetics, its a thought out strategy, much like NZ did the same. and its biting us on the arse imo

James Ryan could have a few more KGs on him but he doesn't for these reasons. check out Quinn Roux i think its fairly obvious he's put back on 1 or 2 kgs that the IRish system forced him to lose.

luckily our skills levels are really high. but rugby is still a game built on being physical and hard nosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Last evening showed that the depth is not quite there. Is size the problem? I didnt think it was last night. We met a better skilled team, that were faster and I think fitter. The French trained with the Barbarians last week.

Our lads looked raw! They were not short on effort and they put in a shift. The French lads looked like a pro team. They were good in every aspect. Our defense was poor. France made yards with ease going wide!

These lads will be better with the experience. You can see the potential in the Irish players. The full back was quite good as was King. The #8 was good too. We really struggled with the scrum. Both props were mangled. This is a serious problem for this series. I doubt we beat the baby bokkes. But with such a turn over I think the boys fronted up quite well.

• Advertisement

Anybody else think that the reserve 9 was very good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

When they flashed the pack weights up it had us listed as the heavier pack. Seems very easy to reach for the ‘lack of size and physicality’ whenever you lose a game these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Scott Wilson, who's U19, was absolutely solid in the scrums for the 6N. Missing him, McGuire and Boyle.

It's interesting that no-one was panicking about our scrums while we were winning a Grand Slam earlier in the year.

I noticed that. It's hard to gauge though. I think the listed specifications are usually wrong.

It was not unexpected to lose. I read that the pre camp was hurt by covid. Murphy 1st and then the other coaches. Certainly the team missed the lads who were absent and they did appear to be sluggish.

But you can see the potential among this group. I don't see any future international players, but Certainly some good pro's. Again, the French team looked better equipped and better developed.

I think we'll be better v the baby bokkes. Hopefully, the scrum holds up. I'd start Hadden. I'd like to see Maloney get a go at 9. It's definitely a good learning curve for the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Game tomorrow isn't it? Any sign of a team?

15. Patrick Campbell (Young Munster RFC/Munster)

14. Aitzol King (Clontarf FC/Leinster)

13. Fionn Gibbons (UCD RFC/Leinster)

12. Daniel Hawkshaw (Clontarf FC/Leinster)

11. Dylan O’Grady (UCD RFC/Leinster)

10. Sam Prendergast (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)

9. Michael Moloney (UCD RFC/Leinster)

1. George Hadden (Gorey RFC/Clontarf FC/Leinster)

2. James McCormick (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)

3. Darragh McSweeney (Shannon RFC/Munster)

4. Conor O’Tighearnaigh (UCD RFC/Leinster)

5. Diarmuid Mangan (UCD RFC/Leinster)

6. James McNabney (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)

7. Reuben Crothers (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster) (capt)

8. George Shaw (Cardiff University/IQ Rugby)

Replacements:

16. Josh Hanlon (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)

17. Oisin Michel (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)

18. Kieran Ryan (Shannon RFC/Munster)

19. Adam McNamee (Malone RFC/Ulster)

20. Lorcan McLoughlin (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)

21. Andrew O’Mahony (UCC RFC/Munster)

22. Reece Malone (Loughborough University/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)

23. George Coomber (UCC RFC/Munster)

24. Shay McCarthy (Young Munster RFC/Munster)

25. Scott Wilson (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)

26. Charlie Irvine (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Great to have Campbell back - pity that the Ennis contingent seem to have made way

Harry west called up now thats he's finished the leaving cert.

Might be few others in same situation also called up to train with squad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Two missed touches there in the building up to that SA try. Criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Shehal

People throw around lazy excuses about size and things like that but the amount of basic errors Ireland are making 2 games in a row are totally unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Can't win a lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Shehal

Ah so scapegoating the halfbacks isnt just an Irish seniors thing...

Jesus! Line outs a mess. Can't find touch. Missed tackles. Very poor. Shocking performance from Prendergast and our hooker. This side is so poor atm. They don't compete at the breakdown and are turned over as if they're jelly.

The fitness looks suspect too! The boks looked fitter,imo. Murphy has his work cut out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Any word on where chay Mullins will be playing next season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Ridiculously harsh post. It was a heavily depleted squad playing in tough conditions, at the end of a long season, against a traditional powerhouse, in a competition that doesn't really matter. Take the four first choice props, a second row, number 8, four halfbacks, both centres, and a winger out of any team and they will struggle, never mind an age grade team which has inherently limited depth. More than half the starting pack was u19.

I would understand the criticism if it was symptomatic of a wider issue, but our u20s have been consistently excellent for years now. This team literally just won the Grand Slam (beating England and France away) three months months ago, for crying out loud. They, nor Murphy, have nothing to prove.

I thought Prendergast was ok, mixed the good with the bad, like you would expect from from an outhalf playing a year underage. Definitely has potential. Whatever about lads who are already in the academy, grown men using words like "shocking" to describe teenagers who are not yet in a professional environment is absolutely gross in my opinion. McCormick had an off day yesterday but his darts are generally fantastic, possibly the best I've seen at this level.

Obviously I can't tell for sure, but it seems to me that the priority for this tournament has been to put some u20s without pro contracts yet in the shop window, and blood our most talented u19s. I don't think results are particularly important. It's such a shame that our Grand Slam winning sides of 2020 and 2022 didn't get a chance to go to JRWC.

On the other hand, there is a lot of experience in this team. There's no getting around the fact that they were very poor. It might be harsh.

The Boks have not playerd much . I hink this is the 1st tourney they've played in since pre covid. I know that this was a big ask. The manner in how they lose is what's alarming. I think they've given a poor performance.

I know it means nothing. I know that the squad is depleted. It was devastating to give up the bonus by half time. Tackles missed, ball not finding touch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Well things looking much more positive now, playing much better than England.

Darragh McSweeney seriously needs to work on his discipline.

Darragh McSweeney AGAIN. FFS. He's a liability.

What a kick from Prendergast.

WHAT A FINISH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,367 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can't win a closer one than that. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

In fairness to him he had some monster clear-outs, saving a few potential turnovers.

• Advertisement

I had to flick back and forth between the game and something else and I personally saw him give away three penalties. He may have given away others when I wasn't watching, and and he only came on for Scott Wilson at 50 minutes. At least one was when we were in possession. Not the end of the world for an U20, but he repeatedly put his team mates under pressure.

Advertisement