Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gulf stream goes,what's next

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Post edited by Easten on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

" 90% of big houses have some connection to the health service" - I've heard some made up nonsense in my time but this is right up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Hurricane ida about to hit louisiana, giving 10ft plus of a storm surge, youd be thankful of the weather here with the way worldwide things are going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If the Gulf stream shuts down, and the next glaciation period commences, sea levels will fall, not rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A 15' storm surge innundated the Matagorda bay area, near Corpus Christi and Houston, in August 1886, for reference.

Id be looking anaerobic digesters to generate gas.

Waste food etc and waste vegetation could be used in this and is already being landfilled with gas being lost for nothing when it could be used for power.

I think we need to move away from fossil fuel imports.

While the Green Party in government is supporting building another terminal to received fracked gas, the most destructive gas product. Unfathomable

From my perspective it's entirely fathomable. The GP aren't different. They're in it for the power and the pensions. They pick out and pick on those they think aren't in a position to fight back. they do so to appease their base, it's as useful to them to appear to do something as to actually do something useful. Dependents like farmers. Turn off the money tap and they'll come to heel. International fossil fuel corporations are too powerful and too well connected to be bother with the ramblings of the likes of these fake eco warriors.

• Advertisement

In my mind tue GP have played their hand very badly.

rather than being the conscience of the government they I’ve enabled the same old same old. They should have collapsed this government when they realised they were the token party at the table, building their credibility with their following, proving the just transition splinter group wrong

rather they have chased the pensions and doomed the GP to another decade of political sidelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Tbf Eamon Ryan was on radio 1 yesterday speaking against the fracked gas terminal in Shannon.

Now perhaps he should have commented on Brian Leddin's Whats app group and their discussion of killing a woman opponent while using the C word against her. It was Brian was the big supporter of this development and another in the area with tyre burning in a cement plant. Big rifts in the group.

And toxic discussions in what they thought were rock solid coms on WhatsApp.

That's acting on the assumption they're who you believe them to be. As for their lunatic fringe, when Saoirse McHugh was strongly advocating just transition she kept her gob shut about her aspiring veganism and other views she put out after the election.

If right was right, farmers and A green party could and would be best buddies, but reality.

I frequently return to something Reagan said, "People look to Government for the answer, when Government is the problem".

Reagan is the last lad I'd be looking for inspiration from to be honest. There was a reason he made that statement; his cronyism and corruption would make our lot look like choir boys.

Amd yet we will have a government who make the decisions that impact our lives so we must analyse who they are.

in theory your right, farming amd Green Party should have many aligned principles. But it’s not possible, hard line veganism within the GP and their M50 centric politics are at odds with agriculture.

I like and agree with the quote, just happens Reagan was who said it.

Mine is a short and simple analysis. We often criticise them up north for their % of civil service employment. In reality are we much different down here given the degree of Govt/public money interest/interference in pretty much every sector, depending on perspective. Anyway, all that is going away from the point of the thread so I digress.

Truth is the majority of society aren’t ready for the sorts of changes that would be required to stop climate change in its tracks.

It would take sweeping changes to our lifestyles and those sorts of changes don’t get politicians re-elected.

If diesel and petrol and aviation fuel had significant carbon taxes added people wouldn’t accept it. Petroleum products probably need to be €3-4 a litre to actually curtail their usage. Cheapest seat on a plane would need to be €200+

I wouldn't accept a fuel tax either, I have no affordable available alternative to my van for work. The electric vans I looked at either had not enough range, or had such big batteries they reduced load carrying/towing ability. That's before we get to the "new" price, which I couldn't afford either way. Tax for taxes sake just pisses people off.

It's fine for city dwellers who at least have imperfect access to multiple means of public transport, or those who electric vehicles suit ie office workers and have the income to reach.

Tax to reduce the usage of something isn’t tax for tax sake though.

I couldn’t manage either. Very few families outside the major urban areas could.

plus the manufacture of so many batteries would be a disaster for the slaves that mine the precious metals and the planet in general.

adding 50cent to a litre is tax for tax sake as we would all just keep going using it and complain. Making a litre of fuel €5 would actually seriously curtail its usage but disruption to lifestyles on that scale is incomprehensible.

• Advertisement

Thing is, for rural dwellers/fragmented farmers, there's only so much reduction one can do. At that point it is a tax for taxes sake. As the local shops are tourist/oap traps we have to go to the local town to shop, we're outside their delivery area. I have to go to the various parcels of the farm, and herself has to go to and from work. After that we do sfa mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

That's the bullet that can't be dodged. The 'best' taxes are those that can't be avoided or evaded. Like house tax, water tax, carbon tax. All are now necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem with most plans to reduce heat global warming is it is not allowing for the Chinese, US and Australian factor.

There is little point in taxing Europeans out if existence if the only benefactors are these countries. The US will still guzzle petrol and diesel and even with a democratic government there is no indication that they will increase taxes on carbon fuels to reduce there usage. The Australian's will still mine coal and other materials for the Chinese or to replace Chinese imports from elsewhere as they have a bit of a trade war at present. The Chinese will still build coal power stations both in China and other country to gain favour to produce the batteries for to replace European carbon fuels...which we may need carbon fuels to produce electricity for.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s it in a nutshell. For some reason in Ireland we always want to be “best boy in the class” when it comes to this sort of thing. And I know everyone has to do their bit and start somewhere but we are literally a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the world and everything we’re doing is pointless when you compare it to what’s happening in the rest of the world.

It would be the same thing as taking 1 head of barley out of a tillage field and asking the farmer did his yield suffer because of it. Obviously it would never be noticed and it’s the same as all we’re trying to do in Ireland. On a worldwide scale if we disappeared altogether it would never be noticed and still wouldn’t make any difference to climate change.

All these measures should be taken on a worldwide basis and not just one small island in the middle of the Atlantic trying to single handedly save the world.

Agree 100% on this. Ireland taxing people under the banner of global warming is putting a plaster on your finger while there's an axe wound at the shoulder.

We can do more with regard to how we recycle/bottle returns/single use plastic/ Higher import taxes on Chinese sh1te (possibly should be EU wide to really punish the polluter)

There are infrastructure upgrades that should be implemented now (sewage/water/biogas/renewables) but the hangover from the boom/recession and the pandemic has focus on housing. Housing itself is an issue, years of resistance to high rise accommodation has led to urban sprawl putting more pressure on infrastructure thats already stretched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Jesus we dont have enough houses so lets tax the shoite out of them, as for water tax well that went well. Carbon tax has always being there in some form.

Don't you know most tax collected in this country is wasted. We are in the middle of an endemic with the health service overwhelmed for 18 months. With all the experts how many extra ICU beds were added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

The function of taxes is to fund the services provided by Govt in the economy.

If it doesn't come from one pocket it will come from the other.

As stated the 'best' taxes are those not easily avoided. They can also be structured to promote efficiency.

There is an Australian mining magnate, 'twiggy' Andrew Forrest, who if he lives long enough, looks set to have a greater practical impact on CO2 reduction globally than probably any other individual on the planet.

Advertisement