Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Comments

Not a parent of any children under 18 anymore, but I am a parent.

I faced all the concerns of a new vaccine when my daughter was amongst the first to be offered the HPV vaccine, so I do understand what it is like to be doubtful about new vaccines from a parent's point of view, and I had to make a decision whether she should get it or not. (She got the vaccine.) If I had grandchildren I would be encouraging their parents to have them vaccinated , once approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

will re post hadnt edited and this crap website posted it annoyed..apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well we're all getting kicked off in about 10m for a massive, crowd-pleasing update!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Not going to withdraw anything, there's a nasty wiff from some childless posters here and on other platforms when it comes to vaccinating children, I'm glad they don't have children as they seem a bit 'off'. My comments are targeted firmly at this group, not the nice people you know, nor the terrible people in the newspapers you read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

What I took from their post wasn't that they were calling people stupid for not vaccinating their kids, but instead calling some of the arguments being advanced by anti-vaxxers stupid - "it doesn't affect kids", "kids only get a mild version", "you can't spread it if you're asymptomatic", "the vaccine is untested", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FunnySmart

Never! They haven’t even tried it on a rat yet!

Why would you? It’s showing not to be effective against Delta.

Though the media is currently prepping parents for it. You have to in-depth research to find the truth or follow the money trail.

It’s is an emergency vaccine rushed though with size effects of blood clotting. It’s not a vaccine as we know it, it’s a messenger that triggers the immune system to respond to spike protein. The immune sys has a long memory.

No vaccine was ever given with little to no risk to a sector of society.

At least they could try it on rats first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

More lies. The vaccines have been tested in rats.

What drives people to post **** like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭grofus2

Finally, a voice of reason. Well said sir, but I'm afraid the heads on here are firmly deep in sand. The government mantra is the only truth.

You don’t know any posters individual circumstances, if the they do or don’t have children or anything else yet here you are labelling individuals as kiddie fiddlers because they don’t agree with you. Just about the most disgusting thing anyone has managed to post on this entire site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

People without children having strong opinions about interfering with children's health - yeah there is something off about some of these people. I would say its akin to the clergy having strong opinions on female reproductive health.

You can get as offended as you like, it doesn't change the fact that this vaccine rush as it comes to children doesn't yet pass the smell test for many parents, and the arm chair epidemiologists here and elsewhere wildly suggesting its for everyone's benefit sound downright sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Voice of reason? The post was full of dangerous and wild inaccuracies. I wonder whether moderators here don’t have a responsibility to filter out this kind of blatant misinformation. Anyway, posts like this and yesterday’s one have made me realise that I’ve had enough of boards. Throw the new interface into the mix and I think it’s time to jump ship. Best of luck to everyone. I hope you all stay healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So its not effective on Delta....ask yourself why we have a Delta variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I love the people who wont give COVID vaccines to their kids (when recommended) but who counter it with "I'm not anti-vax, I give me kids all the other vaccines that are proven safe after years"

How exactly do you reckon we have years of data on those other vaccines?

How sure are you all that a child or indeed unborn child getting COVID wont have longterm issues down the road?

Its like you trust COVID more than the vaccines. Its bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭fits

"They havent tried it on a rat yet!"

How many people have been vaccinated globally again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Deeec

It seems from this thread that the general consensus from actual parents of young kids is that they would not be happy for their kids to get the vaccine at this stage.

The only people on this thread that are happy for kids to get the vaccine are people with no kids or people with children over 18. This says it all really!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You have to ignore some users. Don't reply. You'll never change their minds and threads like these are just entertainment for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m on the fence right now, but I haven’t seriously thought about it since they’re not approved for my kids age group (4,3,0). My understanding thus far is that we don’t usually vaccinate children for the benefit of society as a whole against diseases that aren’t dangerous to most of them, but also that rare side effects of vaccines don’t show up later in life, and even with the swine flu one the problems did show up reasonably quickly, within a couple of months, but may have taken longer to link them definitely to it.

I imagine by the time Ireland actually approves it, if it does, there could already be a lot of real world data to influence our decision. Although I was surprised at Christmas when the flu vaccines opened for my kids age group due to poor uptake, I believe it was 20%. In the beginning pregnant women weren’t getting vaccinated and then as time went on and scary things started to happen everyone I know who is pregnant was dying to get the vaccine. I think this is a time will tell issue but I imagine if they opened it to kids in morning uptake would be very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Why wont covid be eradicated? we have the ability to do so, so why not do it? Soon enough we'll also be able to eradicate all strains of influenza with a single vaccine. The new mRNA technology means we can actually eradicate any pathogen we like now in the next few years.

This person didn't invent synthetic mRNA based drugs, a woman from Hungary did and 'Gene therapy' is a completely different strand of medicine.

• Advertisement

Not true. Many of us have expressed the opinion we would be happy to have our children vaccinated

Children passing it on to unvaccinated adults isn't the key concer. The key concern is that circulation of the virus in under 18s will give rise to new vaccine resistant strains and we'll be back in lockdown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Have been offline for a few days so only catching up now and haven't read all of this thread.

I believe that since the EMA have approved Pfizer for Ages 12+ and other Countries such as US, Canada, Israel, France etc are vaccinating these age groups that Ireland should approve it's use here and let Parents have the option to choose to vaccinate and make their own decisions in relation to their own children.

Our children are 12 and 15 and we will choose to have them vaccinated with Pfizer if it is offered to them.

We have friends and family in the US and France whose kids have been vaccinated with no issues. Our eldest child had the Swine Flu vaccine as did both of us back in 2009 with no side effects.

I don't agree with mandatory Vaccines but I do believe that once the EMA has approved it's use that Parents should have the right to make an informed decision in relation to their own children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Deeec

If you look back there are very few who said they would be happy for their young children to receive the vaccine. Some who are in favour have admitted their kids are in their teens which in my opinion is a different situation than vaccinating young kids.

It would be great if we could put up a poll - I dont know how to do it though and Im guessing that the new site is not able to handle polls yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lies..

it is effective against the Delta, just not as effective,but still very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You're nuts that was the lockdown, let's not go back there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

my 12 year old has had the double pfizer jab in ireland - no underlying conditions and didn't experience any side effects outside of a slight sore arm after the first jab.

It is different. Young kids get loads of vaccines. Teens far less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

(Bad site interface) "I don't agree with mandatory...."

My worry here is that they will extend the vaccine pass to over 12's once the vaccine is offered and extend it to busses and colleges possibly even schools. Basically the vaccine isn't mandatory but to do anything day do day it becomes necessary.

How come Pfizer are you saying the other ones aren't safe?

Advertisement