Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Plenty of reasons to wait for more data, as most countries are doing. The ghouls who are rushing headlong with abandon towards injecting children belong in a padded cell. I only hope they don't actually have children of their own.

We are being told on this thread that children should never get vaccinated, not that we need to wait for more data, which is what the approval process actually is, assess the data and weigh up the risk benefit. No one is saying otherwise, apart from those who are deliberately spreading false information to promote vaccine hesitancy when no evidence of increased harm exists or no evidence of anyone promoting use of vaccine without proper assessment exists

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Im vaccinated and my smallies have all their vaccines uptodate, I paid for Men b for one before it was added to schedule. But as it stands no I wouldn’t give them this one (they are under 12) so likely not an issue in coming year.

if they had under lying issues or that would cause them serious harm from Covid I may think differently, but thankfully I’m not in that position.

What is different about this one? Even though unlikely, they are far more likely to suffer serious adverse effects from covid if un-vaccinated, as everyone will likely catch it at some point in the coming few years, than they are to ever get Men b.

Vaccination or previous exposure to the virus starts the process of the population resistance which see an end position of Covid being just like the the other endemic human corona-virus's. Vaccination is far more controlled. Prevalence of conditions such as myocarditis are far higher in young people exposed to the actual virus than to the vaccine, and everyone unvaccinated will get the virus. And even so myocarditis is not a death sentence or even a live limiting condition unless untreated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Again, the risk of getting myocarditis from Covid is much higher than the risk of getting it from the vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

No pass no school, surely they wouldn't get away with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Well measles has a fatality rate of 2 or 3 per 10,000 (higher in young children, up to 0.2%) and we routinely vaccinate against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Kids will end up getting the COVID vaccine in the end like any other vaccine they receive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Of course I would. If Covid is allowed to run through children, we will still be years before this actually ends. Vaccines are only as good as a person's immune response and there is a huge population of vaccinated people who are still very susceptible to the virus who need herd immunity. That's how vaccines work. It's not a case of get a shot and you are completely protected. It's everyone gets vaccinated so the virus can no longer spread. That's where the protection comes from. It's societal rather than individual.

And that's even without the risk of the virus evolving a vaccine resistant strain if left to continue moving through a very significant chunk of our population. There is a strong argument for ensuring all adults globally are vaccinated before we move onto healthy children in wealthy countries. Both ethically and in terms of preventing mutations. But that's an argument about the order in which paediatric vaccinations should happen, not if they should happen. We do need absolutely everyone who can be vaccinated to get vaccinated to end this for once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

the conditional marketing jargon is the equivalent of the USA's EUA . it isn't approve in the standard way and that is the fact.

you wanna play with words and think you are some Shakespeareo wordsmith with your gothca declaration , fire away - I hope it comforts you but you know I'm right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

No They mean a drug which was suspected to a have issues which the makes suppressed for 5 years. Since that the FDA seems to think it is safe for long terms use.

It now been considered for one condition for which there is no other treatment. Voxx is not approved for general long terms used except for a very small set of patients under an orphan drug program.

It's not helpful if you only give part of the information, the part that helps your case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rofecoxib

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No pass, no school is specifically unconstitutional. If a child requires education the state cannot refuse to provide it.

In theory they can refuse unvaccinated kids, but the state is on the hook for providing an alternative, be that an in-home tutor, an "unvaccinated" school, etc. In other words, it will not happen.

Just to note that the constitutionality is based on the state's obligation to provide education to every child. Private schools and clubs are not so bound and may be permitted to refuse unvaccinated children if such a thing is reasonable in their context.

Conditional marketing authorisation is a pragmatic tool for the fast-track approval of a medicine that fulfils an unmet medical need. Despite earlier approval, it guarantees that the medicine meets rigorous EU standards for safety, efficacy and quality and that comprehensive data is still generated post-approval.

It offers a robust post-authorisation regulatory framework based on legally binding obligations, safeguards and controls.

These include:

• full prescribing information and package leaflet with detailed instructions for safe use and conditions for storage;
    • a robust risk-management and safety monitoring plan;
    • manufacturing controls including official batch controls for vaccines, as required;
    • legally binding post-approval obligations (i.e. conditions) for the marketing authorisation holder and a clear legal framework for the evaluation of emerging efficacy and safety data;
    • an paediatric investigation plan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

At their age currently (under 6) the risk from covid is low, I feel this vaccine is very new and I’d rather wait. But again it’s not an issue at this stage as it’s not being muted for their ages.

I had a school friend die from men b when I was 10, there has also been outbreaks over the years where I work. It was a well used and monitored vaccine, so that’s the difference. 2 years down the line as things progress and more is known about this vaccine and kids I will happily change my mind. Also if a variant emerges that is a greater risk to young kids I would reassess then.

its not relevant at this stage as they are under 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have 2 kids under 10. No, I wouldn't probably wouldn't vaccinate them unless it was recommended. Pretty much zero chance of covid effecting them. Same with the vaccine. Why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Well if kids aren't vaccinated, covid will continue to circulate in the younger age groups and more new strains will emerge, perhaps strains that are vaccine resistant and strains that are very harmful to children, and then we'll have a fresh pandemic and lockdowns. So ultimately yes that's the only way. The viruses that we eradicated in the 20th century through mass vaccinations included all ages as it was understood this was the only way to fully destroy them. There's no reason not to take the same approach now.

Sure there's little risk to kids right now from the current strains but that can all change very quick. I do get people have concerns about children getting long term side effects because they're still pubescent but there's no real biological reason to implement 18 as a cut off point anyway. 99% of males are not fully physically developed by 18 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

But the COVID virus is also very new. We don’t know the long-term impact of this virus on anyone, including children. We are starting to discover some things e.g. long COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

Covid is going to continue to be circulated in both vaccinated and unvaccinated, new variants are going to continue to emerge weather vaccinated or not.

The current line of vaccinations are not good enough to erradicate covid. We already know that. Hopefully in the future we will get vaccines that will.

Yes and at this stage giving or not giving my smallies the vaccine isn't an issue as they aren't even being considered. If something changes in the coming months I'll consider it, but if we were told tomorrow that kids under 6 could have it I would hold off at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let stick with the original plan, protect the old and let the virus burn itself out in general population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

That was NEVER the plan. Never, never, never.

Worth reiterating that vaccine protection is not 100%. And of course, the people most likely to get infected despite vaccination, and to get seriously ill are.... old people.

If/when Covid becomes rife in children, it is inevitable that the number of old people getting sick and dying in spite of vaccines will go up also.

We have still more than 50% of the population who aren't fully vaccinated. It is absolute madness to talk about letting the vaccine burn itself out. This is what the UK are doing. Let's see how they get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

But you can still get covid and pass it on if you're vaccinated. The symptoms are just far less severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

from your own source

for such medicines on less comprehensive clinical data than normally required

left off the quotation. oddly.

you can take it is you want , you can argue the need is there - i'm good with both argument - but don't say it was tested as robustly as is the norm.

My main gripe is mandatory vaccines - which what a two tier society will mandate by proxy.

temporarily - like all our covid rules - of course :rolleyes:

The point is and continues to be it is the standard approach to authorisations of products for unmet clinical need. Multiple products authorised each and every year using this process.

The continued attempts to insinuate otherwise are just a reflection of the anti vax propaganda coming out of the US where they did use a non standard approach, and attempts to conflate the talking points from the US with what is happening here.

Well, yes and no - you can still get infected but you are far less likely to get infected. If you get infected, you are far less likely to pass it on and you are far less likely to get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@[Deleted User] The point is and continues to be it is the standard approach to authorisations of products for unmet clinical need. Multiple products authorised each and every year using this process.

Including several flu vaccines.

Why bother?

To reach herd immunity.

To protect those who have medical reasons why they CAN'T be vaccinated.

To minimise the risk of vaccine resistant variants emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As a parent you make the best decisions you can for your child. We can make choices for ourselves as adults about society, our children cannot and it's very murky moral grounds when we suggest that parents choices are to blame for what happens to others.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My kids are all old enough to decide for themselves. And they're all (bar the oldest) done already. All double Pfizered. No major issues bar some levels of tiredness.

The oldest is getting done, eventually. She probably needs it the most.

Advertisement