Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I'm going to get mine vaccinated.

When we open up entirely covid will circulate freely amongst the unvaccinated. It's likely my children would catch it if they were unvaccinated. While Long Covid is a low risk in children I don't want to put their health at risk, even a small amount.

There is also the wider, more long term question that if we let covid freely circulate amongst the under 12's it may mutate into something that vaccines have less of an effect against. It always plays on my mind that the Spanish flu affected the young way more than the old. I'll be very concerned that covid would mutate into something that had more severe effects on children. I'd like them vaccinated so that they at least have some protection against that possible eventuality.

I realise that there is some unknowns regarding pfizer, AZ etc. While it is clear that there are minimal short term side effects of vaccines on adults and older children, there is a simple fact that the vaccines have not been widely tested on the 0-12 population. That being said, the lack of major side effects amongst the adult population gives me some comfort, and balancing it all up I believe that I am protecting their health by getting them vaccinated. Responsibility to society doesn't really come into it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eh he didn't, he just worked on a paper, in collaboration with others about an mRNA proposal. Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman did most of the work on what became the mRNA vaccine, working with both Moderna and BioNTech.

From a factcheck site

Malone reached out to Logically, stating that he did not invent the mRNA vaccines, but instead the "vaccine technology platform." He also presented us with copies of nine patents – none of which showed that he invented the mRNA vaccines. The judgment for the claim has not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭grofus2

Thats a little pedantic. His work clearly assisting the development.

However, he knows way more than me about it and I don't trust a single word from Government. Many other medical experts also have real concerns about the vaccines. So my choice is made

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yet he is happy to take credit for something he did not do. Even a cursory glance of a layperson at what he wrote with two others is a very far cry from what mRNA vaccines do.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but question was should kids be vaccinated or words to that effect. I provided my reasons for saying no.

I dont need your approval and wish you the best

Exactly what they do is still unfolding. Frankly, I hope what I've read is wrong but the reality is no one knows. All you can do is respond to the perceived risk

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Like honestly what is conspiracy theorist about questioning the validity of vaccinating a populace that have little to no chance of getting seriously sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Well, if you don't understand immunology, epidemiology and things like herd immunity - nothing! Otherwise...

Like honestly, does it need to be explained yet again what herd immunity is? Like, for real, like? 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@grofus2 For me, there no data for the vaccine and virtually zero risk to children from COVID-19

There is plenty of data. Have you not looked for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Covid barely effects kids. That's the point. Point 1, 2 and 5 are all moot because kids have almost no chance of having problems with it. UK reckon 2 in a million chance of dying with it and that's including underlying conditions. So, if your child has no underlying conditions, it's pointless for their health.

As for passing it on, that's fair enough. I wonder what percentage of people can't be vaccinated for health reasons? The reason we get measles, mumps etc vaccines is because there's great benefit and it's recommended by the government. This isn't. That's a massive difference. If in the next few months it becomes recommended, fair enough. Until then, I won't

@Cienciano ...kids have almost no chance of having problems with it. UK reckon 2 in a million chance of dying with it and that's including underlying conditions. So, if your child has no underlying conditions, it's pointless for their health.

So your reasoning that there is no such thing as a non-fatal health problem? LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

When the option is available then I will assess the information available and talk to my GP who is a friend & someone I would trust. Covid is something we will have to accept going forward, even now the vaccines should reduce the impact on the hospital system in terms of length of stay and seriousness of illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

When I calculate risk to my children's health, I don't really think about the risk of them dying from something. An illness being fatal is such a remote concept in most situations. What I would like to know is how many children who tested positive for covid suffered symptoms more than five or six weeks after their positive test. That's what I would consider a risk to my child's health. The UK government has published statistics that indicate that 13-15% of children who test positive show lingering symptoms five weeks later. That's a hefty chunk. How many of them will be totally recovered in six months?

Also, I'm fairly sure covid vaccines are recommended by all governments.

Herd immunity is best achieved naturally. Sweden is a great example. "Herd immunity will only achieved through vaccine" is yet another government lie

No, this is a lie! How do you think we eliminated or almost eliminated diseases like measles, smallpox, polio? Answer: vaccines! Why is measles re-emerging in some areas? Anti-vaxxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Please stop. I know you're getting a laugh out of this but some people might take it seriously.

Well, the stat is a good one to get an idea of the severity of it. One thing is certain, covid in kids is not something serious to their health. Also, all governments have not recommended children to take it, I don't think any covid vaccines are approved for children yet, but could be wrong.

• Advertisement

OK, go and look at the historical charts for those diseases. You will see they were all on the decline before vaccine programs started. Vaccinators take the credit but better medical care, hygiene and sanitation probably played a bigger part. You are also overlooking the fact the these covid vaccines are new, never before used technology, at least in Humans, rolled out in around 8-9 months. Go look at the reasons the SARS & MERS mRNA vaccines never came to market.

This thread is turning into a magnet for boilerplate antivax nonsense with a bit of "won't someone think of the children" thrown in for good measure.

So much stupid.

(Off-topic: Jebus, this new interface is cat! I'm trying to just quote your sentence wondering what percentage of people can't be vaccinated!)

I don't know that figure, but it's not insignificant. But we do know that the efficacy rate of the vaccine isn't anywhere near 100%. This AZ report from February claims 70% effectiveness after 1st dose; and a reduction in disease transmission of 67%. (So giving the lie to grofus2, above, saying there was no such thing as asymptomatic transmission. But hey, they've probably read some stuff on a facebook group...)

Not related to your point, but here is an interesting peer-reviewed research paper that looked at over 156,000 recipients of COVID-19 vaccines... Not bad for an "untested" vaccine, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The Pfizer vaccine is approved for use in children 12 and up in Europe, US, UK and Canada

Dude. Don't make me have to go and figure out how to add images using this horrible new interface, but surely everybody is familiar with the chart deaths from measles versus introduction of widespread measles vaccination? Hint: It wasn't better hygiene practices, sanitation or medical care that resulted in fewer deaths. You know how we know this? Because the number of measles infections plummeted with the introduction of vaccines, not just the number of deaths.

Anyway - it's cleat your an anti-vaxxer with an agenda, you've spouted rubbish above, and I should not be feeding the trolls or arguing with an anti-vaxxer.

So, government aren't recommending kids get vaccinated, no vaccine has been approved in kids under 12, but people are "stupid" not to give it to their kids? Think we're going to have to disagree on this one. I wouldn't have my kids get it until it's recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Many posters here seem quite sure that the COVID virus (including new variants) “barely effects kids” and has no long term impact. Yet, everyone here insists that there is not enough data on whether vaccinating kids is safe because the vaccines are so new.

I think people’s emotions are overriding logic. Yes, the vaccines are new but the COVID virus is also new. We simply don’t have enough data on the long-term impact of this nasty virus on kids (or anyone else for that matter). Damage to several organs is being investigated amongst some people with long COVID. Multi-year studies have started but it will be some time before we have the data to say for sure that “COVID barely effects kids”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Economics101

I presume that vaccine approval for children and young adolescents will be done over time by gradually lowering the permitted age by a couple of years at a time, allowing more time for trials and for evaluating data on existing young recipients. I would trust the capability of the EMA to extend approval only if it is safe.

What I can't quite understand is the "small children are not affected" argument against vaccination. They can be infected, albeit usually very mildly or asymptomatically. But more importantly, they can infect others, who may be more susceptible to serious illness. As with all contagious diseases it's not a matter of "me" all the time, it's the effect on others.

When your decision potentially harms others just think again about the implications

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

It would probably help if people identified if they actually had kids and will be responsible for a decision regarding their taking a vaccine. There's a distinct wiff from some posters of the catholic priest, kiddie botherer types who want to inject themselves into something that nature has thankfully excluded them from.

I'm a parent, and I'll respect any parents decision, please respect mine. If you aren't a parent, its frankly weird that you have now slithered into this debate.

[Not targeted at you @Lumen]

• Advertisement

This new format is beyond bad. Could be the death of boards. On the vaccine, yeah, lots of info out there and I think until there's recommendation and program in place by the government to get kids vaccinated, we can forget about it. Interesting reading peoples reasons behind getting it, but zero chance of it happening until then

Advertisement