Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Misspelling vaccine is enough to label you anti vax with a couple of these clowns, you're dealing with a fringe group of vaccine extremists basically.

In that world you're not allowed think, nevermind voice, anything that isn't shoving the positives down the worlds throat.

Whereas in Del’s world opinions based on lies and misinformation hold the same weight as scientific fact and should never be challenged

Case in point here above.

Incapable of debate involving consideration or critical thinking, even the reasonable pro-vaccine (nevermind vaccine neutral who have taken it and are thinking about it for their kids) are "brainwashed" and need to be shut down and labelled liars.

The outright lies and misrepresentation posted by those who have been taken in by the anti vaccine narrative have been debated and debunked loads of times from the start of this thread. When the same lies and misinformation continue to come up and get labelled “debate” it doesn’t mean it is actual “debate”. Post something new to back up the view that it’s less than safe in children and a debate might actually break out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

True, but in reality, there's little to no information to for a pregnant lady, other than it's now recommended, millions have probably taken it and delivered normally but any affect on the baby could take years to show, also, it still hasn't been recommended to my wife (possibly due to other complications - not sure, we've had some), safest bet seems to just not take it until after the pregnancy, we've avoided covid through all of this, she's being extra careful as there's only a few weeks left.

Both my boys (10 and 12) want to have it, I'm not overly concerned about them getting it and we will support their choice, we just didn't want to 'force' it on them - if you understand my meaning.

Sitting on the fence is, of course, a very legitimate stance, this is Ireland, we've pretty much done it forever, I don't see how Covid will change that.

Also, re comments about side effects from the vaccine and those from Covid, from a purely personal standpoint, I know several now who've had Covid at some stage over the past year, all have recovered with no lasting problems, I can say the same about the vaccine side effects, I know several who've reacted to the vaccine, some pretty badly for a short time imo, all are fine now though, we've all read the horror stories about the bad sides of both but I (thankfully) have no experience of either; none of that makes the decision easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's not a gamble. She has been advised not to get vaccinated due to previous history with medications and vaccinations. She would LOVE to get vaxxed and regain a bit more freedom, she has no time for anti vaxxers as these are the very people keeping this virus going.

Who said its less safe in children?

Why do you keep lying about things that people have claimed? You are ironically the most consistent liar in here, I'm constantly correcting your misquotes as you do your best to paint everything as a black/white vax v antivax argument when it's not. Constant misrepresentations, the irony..

Can you not respond to anything I've actually said? Obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

And did you let your pregnant wife get a vaccine in the end, or forbid her from doing so? 🙄

Not sure what you’re implying, it’s not my choice, it’s hers, it’s our baby though, she wasn’t inclined, I was, but respect her choice, my point is that it’s not a simple or easy decision to make.

Get outta that, did you not hear?! People HAVE TO do what the cowardly mob demand they do.

Who does she think she is with "her choices"? Bloody antivaxxer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Realistically, if you have 10 and 12 year old kids, you cannot be careful about Covid, unless you are keeping them home all the time. If they're out with friends or at summer camp, then that's a whole other level of risk.

If your wife only has a few weeks left then there's really very little risk to the foetus from the vaccine as it's essentially fully formed. Hundreds of thousands of babies have been born to vaccinated mothers and nothing of concern has been reported.

But late pregnancy is when Covid is most dangerous for the mother.

This isn't about being anti - vaxx because unlike the anti vaxx posters on this thread, you're not endangering anyone else, but please please please do some reading from official sources. Please don't take my word for it or any other poster. There is tons of info out there.

You might think you're being careful but not getting the vaccine is by far the riskier choice. Please reconsider.

People have the right to make choices. Having that right does not mean others don’t have the right to criticise those choices when based on misinformation and fear mongering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

And Del has the right to call people cowards, because... yeah, I don't get that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It strikes me that said poster and pregnant partner have resolved to act in a particular manner. Eventually that choice has to be respected and it ceases to be the business of anyone outside that relationship.

To decide on giving a vaccine to a child you got too way up the cost versus benefit for each individual child.

Between March 2020 and April 2021 in the UK 25 under 18 year olds died of Covid (I believe the first one in Northern Ireland was reported this week). Over 200 under 18 year olds were hospitalised because of Covid. Currently 40% of under 18 year olds in the UK have the antibodies anyway.

Any worse than accusing a concerned father of being a domineering husband TaurenDruid???

Certainly seems to be a lot of misinformed judgements being made here, on both sides of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Absolutely, it just struck me that he said there's "little to no information" when in fact there's huge volumes of it. It's entirely their lookout but we should all be making our individual calls based on the full facts.

But yeah, their business, absolutely.

I have to disagree, my partner asked both at the hospital and our gp, all that was given was a pretty dodgy looking 1 page photocopy from the HSE and a phone number that was very difficult to get through on, even then the advice at the time was that it was our choice etc etc, no mention of studies, other countries experiences or anything like that, our gp was hesitant to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

But that data concerns the original virus in the context of lockdown. The picture changes considerably when you have more transmissible variants and no lockdowns. In Brazil, a country that had few public health measures and where the Gamma variant was rampant, excess mortality for children under 18 has been 3,000 since the pandemic began. In other words, 3,000 children died over and above the normal rate. It is well known that many of these children did not have underlying conditions. This is why Brazil has proved so interesting to scientists.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/30/americas/brazil-children-covid-deaths-intl/index.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56696907

Im going to ensure my kids are vaccinated. Of course, each parent has to decide what is right for them but context is key.

From my understanding the variants are hosted and transmitted by vaccinated people, so vaccinated kids will still transmit the virus. I would want to see if my child has the antibodies first before considering vaccination as no point in doing so if already has antibodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The other way of looking at is that my children have had all their vaccines as part of the early childhood program and any necessary vaccines when travelling.

I've also no doubt in the safety of the COVID vaccines, the numbers taking them is astronomical compared to most other medicines and most other available vaccines.

I'm also acutely aware of the science behind the vaccines, how it works and the testing and trials that went into it.

There's absolutely no hesitation in getting my children vaccinated when they are able to get it.

It also means not worrying about them catching COVID anymore, and missing school, playing with friends etc, and not being worried about them being a transmission vector.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is being misunderstood over the past month or so, vaccines don't prevent transmission, but they do reduce the chances of transmission by reducing viral load faster and reducing the time that you are shedding virus, if others are vaccinated, they're also less likely to both catch and then transmit the virus.

The goal is to get to a % of people vaccinated where the R number is less than 1 (i.e. for each infected individual less than 1 other person becomes infected) if you can do this, (and even the UK fully opened up right now is somewhere between 0.8 and 1.1 for this number, where the number would be 8+ without vaccines) then the virus keeps on transmitting but the pool of people catching and transmitting the virus on gets smaller and smaller until the virus dies out in the community.

For SARS-COV2, it looks like the herd immunity number is above 80% (all population), and even if we reached that number vaccinated today it would still be months for the case count to dwindle towards double and single digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Vaccinate your damn kids. They aren't that special.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Yes, vaccinated people can transmit the virus because the Delta variant is much more transmissible to begin with. The US CDC says it is as transmissible as Chickenpox.

There is good data coming out of The Cleveland Clinic studies to show that prior infection gives you the same amount of protection as vaccination. So if your kids have had Covid, then you are probably fine. But what if they haven’t had Covid? Are you going to wait until they catch it and see what happens?

There is new data emerging all the time that helps authorities make better recommendations. This is why the U.K. MHRA recently changed their minds on vaccinating kids. There was a study reported in the New York Times last week suggesting that a male teenager is six times more likely to develop myocarditis from a Covid infection than he is from a Pfizer vaccine. Yet the myocarditis side effect is being repeated over and over again as a reason why kids should not get vaccinated.

Again everyone has to make their own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

So vaccinate them then.

Polio, measles, smallpox, how do you reckon these diseases were beaten?

What qualifies you to dictate to anyone?

And, Yes, they are that special, every parent must make their own choices.

I didn’t see any facts or information of any kind in that post.

• Advertisement

Advertisement