Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Talisman

My niece is 15 years of age and has been suffering from neurological effects since recovering from the disease early last year. She's an incredibly intelligent person and had been doing college classes in maths and science while in middle school, to put it in context that's the equivalent of a Junior Cert student also studying for a university degree. She has gone from sailing through her classes as an A student at university level to struggling to pass her exams at school level. Her ongoing symptoms are brain fog, chronic fatigue, insomnia - she had a seemingly mild dose of covid but it has robbed her of a bright future.

There is a lot that scientists haven't yet come to understand about the effects of virus and it would be foolish to dismiss it as no more dangerous than the common cold.

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/this-is-your-brain-on-covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 28 KellyKelly

My 5 year old wont be getting the Vaccine, If its not broke, don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

my kids will not be taking the vaccine for covid.

The more unvaccinated hosts there are for the virus to infect, the more chances there are of new variants emerging.

The next variant might be even more transmissable then delta or might be the one that is resistant to all current vaccines, and we're back were we started.

The virus doesn't care about the age of the host.

So while I understand the hesitancy from parents until more is known about the covid vaccine and its effects on children, I think ultimately if we are ever to get this thing under control, in the end as many teenagers and children as possible will have to be vaccinated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

This is just incorrect.

it has a conditional marketing authorisation in the EU - a sort of fast track without the usual requirements normally requested. These will come in time I assume but to suggest that the vaccines are authorised as is the norm is just wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

2 kids. one has an underlying condition - learning disability. Both have had viral episodes and ended up in hospital with breathing difficulties. My LD boy would not cope well with oxygen masks and hospital environment. And any virus hits him harder than the rest of us.

So yes I would be very keen that they take an approved vaccine. They get annual flu jabs, had chicken pox vaccines too. Im also very keen that the school year is uninterrupted...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

To be clear - you want to vaccinate young children in case they are the cause of a new variant? Even though they themselves are at a near zero risk?

Not all kids are 'near-zero' risk. What about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I got banned from the reddit corona virus subreddit /r/coronavirus for suggesting that it was highly unjustified to vaccinated children and that in no way should covid-unvaccinated children be prevented from going to school and their right to education.

Note I'm not anti-vax at all and am vaccinated myself. I just don't see the logic in vaccinating toddlers who have zero risk from Covid, it's ultimately just selfish of the older generation to force children to take any (very minor as it may be) risk, solely for their own benefit.

I would be willing to take a 100 euro bet with anyone on this forum that:

1 - The vaccines will be approved for children

2 - Not overnight, but ultimately if there isn't enough take up, they will not be allowed to attend schools without it

It's going to happen and it's going to get messy.

No issue with parents vaccinating any at risk children. If it benefits that particular child and the vaccine is approved and available, it makes sense.

• Advertisement

It is being considered, more than that, its coming this year - https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/vaccines-kids-under-age-12-expected-mid-winter-fda-official-n1274057

For kids aged 5 - 11 they are aiming for September. I wonder why that could be..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

That's what they should do with all vaccines. No parent has the right to put other people's kids at risk of disease.

And yes my kids will be getting the coronavirus vaccine as soon as it's available for them. We will not be indoor dining on holiday etc. until the kids are vaccinated.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

See my additional clarification above. I didn't expect people to want the full details.

The Pfizer vaccine was granted a conditional authorisation in December 2020, it became the thirteenth drug to get a conditional authorisation in Europe that year. None of the other 12 had anything to do with Covid. There were eight in 2019, obviously none related to Covid.

It is an accelerated route to market for drugs that fill a major gap in public health but it is not particularly unusual.

And do you have an issue with the virus being allowed to spread freely through schools? Maybe your kids would be alright, but not all would.

But, if the vaccine is available & approved for children and some parents opt in - does it really matter if others opt out (for now)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

I would be of the same opinion as you that kids dont need to be vaccinated. We dont know if these vaccines has any long term side affects yet.

I do think though we will start hearing from the teachers unions around the middle of August spouting that teachers do not want to go back to schools if kids are not vaccinated. They will be pushing for remote learning - its predicatable.

Thats a very emotive way to put it, you make it sound like I'm blaming children if a new variant emerges. Thats not the case at all.

The point is a new variant could emerge undo all the work that has been done so far and put us back to square one, with everyone at risk, young and old.

The chances of this happening must be minimised and if that involves vaccinating children, so there are fewer hosts then yes, vaccinate children too.

Believe me, I understand parental hesitancy on new vaccines. My daughter was in one of the very first groups to get the HPV vaccine.

Anybody with children where there is a clear benefit to them of being vaccinated should consider a vaccine when approved and available. For others, I can't see any benefit right now of vaccinating otherwise healthy children for no reason.

Of course, in a heartbeat. Kids get a load of shots as it is. Hell its the reason most of them make it to adulthood

• Advertisement

We can't get to the point where we are doing things purely to prevent something which may or may not happen. Let's deal with variants as and when they arise. Only 13% of the world is currently fully vaccinated - so plenty more adults out there to focus on first.

Yes totally fine with it.

The teachers will be vaccinated, the kids aren't at any risk, if there are at-risk-category kids I expect they will be vaccinated. So what exactly is the issue?

Remember "living with covid" ? We are now suggesting that the world be scared to interact because of a virus that will do no harm to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The FDA don't regulate what we do. Only two countries so far are pushing ahead with the vaccination of children. All the rest are undecided. Any talk that has emerged is about 12-15 year olds.

I agree with everything your said here Del. My worry is the teachers unions wont agree with us though and will push for remote learning if kids are not vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The science says yes.

The vaccines are approved (those saying to the contrary have spent too long on the anti-vax facebook pages).

The WHO wants those at risk vaccinated before children, but they want everybody vaccinated.

If the virus becomes endemic (likely) then they'll all get it, having a bad dose of COVID will be much more likely than a rare side effect from a vaccine that most of the population have already had.

Children already get lots of vaccines within days of being born.

The vaccines are unequivocally, undeniably safe, if you're saying otherwise, you have an agenda or you're misinformed by someone with an agenda.

We simply dont know yet if the vaccines are safe for growing children. Side affects can show up long after the vaccine is given - its often years after this is discovered. Personally I dont think pregnant women should be given the vaccine either.

So they were right - it wasn't emergency approval.

CMA is the standard approach for approval for an unmet medical need

Would love to know what vaccines have had side effects show up years after its given?

There were court cases regarding the swine flu jab and to the HPV jab. Most vaccines are trialed for years - this hasnt been the case with the covid vaccines. Im happy to risk it myself but not for my young growing children.

Just out of interest would you take the vaccine if you were pregnant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

The current situation is that there is still an ongoing pandemic, a highly infectious virus, with new data coming out that predict that between 10% and 30% of all people that catch Covid - including kids - will become chronically ill with long Covid.

So the choice is not between getting kids vaccinated and not vaccinated without consequences. The choice is between kids getting vaccinated, and other, non-pharmaceutical measures for kids to reduce the spread - meaning frequent testing, learning from home, masks, distancing, etc.

It's important to have freedom of choice, but the things to choose from need to be based in reality.

Advertisement