Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They are constantly going on about the numbers unvaccinated lately and how they are solely responsible for ICU numbers, and as a knock on, how it will be their fault things don't open fully.That is basically the message coming across loudly.I think I saw them being described yesterday as "low hanging fruit" by a Minister....basically it is easier to chase the 10% or so that aren't vaccinated than it is do anything with the health system or well, anything else.If they knew anything about statistics and bell curves, they would realise it is extremely unlikely that 10% will ever be vaccinated .They might get it to 8%, with a huge drive behind it, but that's as good as it will likely get.It's just easier to ignore that state of the Health System and do that.Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

They may talk about the numbers of unvaccinated but they don't state that they are solely responsible for ICU numbers. Who's lying again?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I certainly don't need to turn it on. I think that's the problem with many on this thread. They're sucking up everything that media is saying and then adding to it themselves.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Who's lying?I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

Leo did say at the weekend that if everyone was vaccinated there would only be so many people in ICU. (Can't remember the number).I thought it was a very simplistic interpretation of things myself.

The message coming from them loud and clear is get vaccinated.I don't care who is or isn't vaccinated, what I care about is that it has become a new obsession for our politicians et al, another distraction from the state of the Health System being the problem.

• Advertisement

Where did I ever mention lying!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Agreed hence my argument that they should open

"No risks to be taken" the words of RTE's Micheal Lehane after NPHET (predictably) calling for little or no easing of restrictions to the govt this evening. A very sad state of affairs, our broken health service after years of empty promises and underinvestment in our ICU and bed capacity really catching up on us. Shame on our political leaders, successive governments ,the dept of health and the HSE.

You didn't. Your post happened to be in the middle of a chain of posts were I'm trying to find out from two posters how/when the government lied. One said it was down to them lying that it's down to the unvaccinated. You then posted along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

NPHET have an ulterior motive when it comes to pubs and clubs. Their remit is public health and they take a dim view towards alcohol. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want but I’d say they are trying to destroy Ireland’s drinking culture.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted. If you really do struggle to post in a civil manner then please do not post at all

I disagree. If they'd wanted to do that, they'd have banned alcohol sales altogether. That's what they did in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Varadkar pushes for ‘very extensive booster programme’ as he said if everyone was fully vaccinated there would be 25 people in ICU - Independent.ie

What he says in that article is that: removing the unvaccinated from the equation we could have a lower number of people in ICU. He also said that 25 fully vaccinated in ICU is acceptable but having 45 unvaccinated (70 - 25) is the real elephant in the room. We are talking about an European nation that can't deal with 70 icu bed occupied. Based on the statistic/projection he is not lying but he is certainly shifting the blame for not reopening to that bunch of people not vaccinated (you and me included). He is also pushing for the booster so another step to mass population control

No that’s what’s so sneaky about them. They are playing the long game. Tricking everyone into drinking more at home in the hope that when they take stock of their drinking they will decide that all this home drinking is a sign of a significant problem and they will quit on their own thinking it was their own decision, when all along nphet played us like puppets. Tony truly is a genius to come up with such a marvellous plan

So close to a reasoned point which can form the basis of reasoned debate. And then you go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like “mass population control”

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Nobody seems to be talking about the 11:30/11:00pm curfew. Its a horrible restriction that nobody should be subjected to and it has gone on for way too long. Why can't the Gov understand that people just continue their night out back in houses , in village pubs or on the street in some cases. The houses these large gatherings take place in offer worse social distancing than in a pub and they are happening all over the country far more than people realize

Is there some curfew in place that I am not aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I really don’t buy into this theory that NPHET are trying to destroy Irish pub culture, behind it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is a conspiracy theory forum for a reason, would be nice to keep your theories away from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

In Germany it's the same and politicians are not shy talking about this. You either get the vaccine which is readily available or you fork out for tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Everybody should be listening to what Phil Ní Sheadghdha from the INMO is saying on the Tonight programme on Virgin Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The fella in the basement is money from the idiots via YouTube views.

As my dad would say, lots of head the balls on here this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

jesus did i hear NPHET have recommended some wiggle room for the government ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gavan Reilly on virgin media saying sources say the NPHET letter isn't as bad as was expected and that government sources say it gives government more scope to relax restrictions than they expected.

That scope includes the use of vaccine certs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yup described as not what was expected. More scope to relax than they thought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Lads. I am as anti-restriction and anti cowardly government as any guy. But even for my taste some of the theories about anti drinking culture and control are simply not plausible in my book. They are not that sinister and quite frankly not that smart.

They are arse covering cowards in charge of a health system that has been kaputt politicised a long time ago. And they have backed themselves into a corner with their all-in on the vaccines and their moral high ground aspirations which unfortunately the vaccines cannot deliver even at a 100% vaccination rate. People will still be dying with covid no matter what.

So every however implausible circumstance and as a last resort the public will be blamed for why we still havent eradicated covid.

The UK have copped on to that and get on with it, but we are not allowed to do that because we have set unrealistic and unachievable goals in the first place. Cos we're better than them or something like that. We rather turn the place into a never ending sh1t place where we can never go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A little surprised from that tbh and dare i say it a little relived

Advertisement