Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Explain the Gibraltar 114% vaccine coverage, you brought it up. I was only correcting you.

Is it 114% on an 80% eligible population?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So you still think a let it rip approach is best? Be first in the world at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yes, we banned smoking in the workplace, put a tax on carrier bags made of plastic and voted in gay marriage. Why not lead a new frontier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Or have you no confidence in the vaccines we all took?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

You must follow some stupid fcuking cvnts on Twitter

• Advertisement

I thought you were actually serious, until the "new norm" bit 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nevermind us randomers here, it's clear nphet have no confidence in the vaccines. They quite literally have put their entire faith into Nolan's random number generator and have tacitly said vaccines don't work. Hospital numbers have come down over 20% in two weeks, yet some model trumps real world data.

We are back to an abundance of caution approach so I fully expect more restrictions to be brought in over the next couple of weeks.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

"Tensions grow as Nphet members must now ask Government for permission to appear on TV and radio"

Govt banning nphet from doing their own press releases, varadkar alledgedly called them a "political organisation" and wants their shite models externally peer reviewed

This would be extremely welcome news if govt hadn't just put thousands of people on the dole for Christmas off the back of a model they don't believe in and can't explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Does anyone know what the numbers in ICUs were in winter 2019, 2018 or before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

A sliver of good news after a tsunami of **** yesterday. About time manners were put on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Dont have the numbers, but there are plenty of news articles about the health service being overwhelmed - 2019 was record breaking IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It would be great to see the numbers so we can directly compare the level of panic to what we have now.

I can't believe shutting businesses and putting masks on kids is the go-to strategy. If ICUs have always been full in Winter there's no reason to think this won't be an annual thing from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think you’re 100% right, winter restrictions are permanent now I feel. Theres been a very clear shift towards measures that imply personal rather than institutional responsibility. Masking children rather than HEPA filters etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Standard stuff here, government rollover got NPHET one day and the next day there is an article with the government supposedly unhappy with NPHET. It's all game to these politicians/beaurucrats. By right NPHET should have been refreshed every 6 months to bring in fresh thinking and the government should have fully opened in the summer as soon as all the vulnerable were vaccinated instead of this cautious cautious approach. Both NPHET and the government have made a complete pig's ear of handling this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It seems the government will do anything other than improve or take on the health service. Absolutely maddening imposing restrictions again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Even Philip Nolan could follow the pattern with this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There was a large enough protest yesterday about ths kid's masks, posters were circulating on Whatsapps.Got no coverage bar a tiny video way down on the Independent.I am now extremely suspicious of the strategies behind our newspapers and who is pulling the strings, particularly after the minimal enough coverage of a large protest last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have to say it was very Telling this protest got practically no coverage at all, fair enough events over in Leinster House were a slight discretion but very, very Telling indeed this protest almost ignored.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

You would swear that every country in the world wasn't reintroducing some sort of virus spread control.

Numbers down in any graph need to be worst case so you can plan for worst case.

People need to get their news from people in the health service. Not from biased Facebook and Twitter feeds.

In fact if anyone does know someone in the health service, see if they need help with anything. These people are exhausted.

And if you do think someone's life is ruined by not being able to be in a pub. Try to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I’d say the pub owners life might be ruined too 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

Do you know any? Are you to write deagio to give greater discounts so they can make greater profit in a shorter period with reduced clientele. It's not like the drinks industry isn't still booming.

The Shenanigans of Leaks and who's to blame all over print media this morning (a bit like groundhog day) we've been here before. Personally I don't believe for a second it was NPHET leaking (And to be clear, I'm absolutely not defending them) , I'm leaning towards civil servants within the DOH and or possibly grubby junior government politicians.

It absolutely suits the Government narrative, look for deflection, fake outrage, blame everyone but themselves. The dogs on the street saw what happened yesterday coming, Cowardly Cabinet members (who are supposed to be the actual decision makers) hide behind that often used cliche 'we follow public health advice" . If you listen to Norma Fur Coat Foley speak, she resonds to every criticism with Dt Holohan said this, we've always followed public health advice etc, not once has she taken any responsibility for the situation in schools, she's a Tundering disgrace.

Even Leo when presiding over yesterday's Shitshow of a press conference made subtle swipes at advice being received, leaks etc, the Brass neck from the chief Leaker is astonishing.

Collectively they are all a compete Joke , beyond believable at this stage, come Monday, watch out for back tracking on promised supports, more dithering, confusion and Bullshit.

I'm just perplexed at not just how we got here but how is it remotely possible we as a country could have Three Government parties make such a complete Bollox of so many things , it's just beggars belief at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

And everyone working in live entertainment who will inevitably have to cancel gigs rather than work out how to cancel 50% of tickets they sold months ago.

And all the nightclub staff who just lost their jobs at xmas.

But yeah, we're just upset because we want to go for pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

• I'm willing to forgive Leo all and take back everything bad I've said about him if he removes power from NPHET who are now running the country.

Anyone who believes otherwise (nphet only offer advice- lol) is delusional.

I vote soc dems/ Labour, but willing to change course as I believe democracy is on the line here and across Europe. This is worrying me more than the virus itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭prunudo

As a poster said yesterday, its not just hospitality staff. The knock on effects go all the way down the chain, the food/drink companies, the transport companies, cleaning companies, even down to the beauticians/hairdressers who will loose business with people not doing themselves up to go out.

So many narrow minded people and 'I'm alright Jack's' thinking its only about lads going for pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭emo72

This is the most virtuous post I have ever seen! Who are you trying to impress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 dpforce

ICU audit report from 2018:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/noca-uploads/general/Irish_National_ICU_Audit_Annual_Report_2018_FINAL.pdf

There is no day-to-day charts, but as per Figure4.1 on page 46, total number of admissions to ICU in 2018 was 8882. Average of 24 patients at any given day. Most of patients were age 60 or older and 46% required ventilation.

Perhaps wishful thinking, Leo will always require someone else to Blame and I certainly won't be forgiving him, MM and this utterly appalling Government for what has been abject and consistent failure in leadership skills , I didn't mention Eamonn Ryan, primarily because he's absolutely clueless and irrelevant almost to kind a word to describe him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Absolutely - it moved location I believe due to an increase in numbers expected and there looked to be a good (and peaceful) crowd at it, by that video - but not a sound of it anywhere. Says everything, doesn't it.

I am not a fan - but I have said it before, at least Leo says something and is capable of challenging whoever he take sit into his head to challenge.You mightn't like what he says, but you generally know where he stands on things.Martin just bends whatever way the wind blows.We won't see this beginning to end until Martin is gone I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Not a fan of Leo at all but I've come to the conclusion he's the best of a bad lot. He tried to take NPHET on last October/November 2020, didn't end well for him but I respect him for trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Any posts from you when other countries were opening up and we weren't or do you only notice them when they introduce restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

i hope those naive fools who are pro restrictions and lockdowns realise that hyperinflation is coming for us all and when it arrives next year you do not get to complain about it, you helped bring it

I do take your point but personally I believe Leo's and perhaps others in is party (Harris etc) have been partly to blame for the mix messaging that has prevailed now for an extraordinary length of time. It pretty much commenced when MM took over and its been relentless ever since albeit Harris curiously quite of late (not a bad thing at all)

I'm certainly not defending MM but I can't help but think there's been a concerted effort within government to undermine him albeit this doesn't take away from the fact he's clearly a Buffoon.

People once argued the national interest trumped FF & FG pulling out of this farce of a government, I'd suggest the national interest as in us the citizens have been taken for complete fools and primarily only because of self interest, not national interest by this shower of clowns . IMO of course 😏

Not just hyper inflation a serious kick in the B*****X for 1000's of small businesses already struggling with serious Rent arrears, Revenue Debts , disputes with insurance companies (still a serious issue that no one's talking about), redundancy costs . Government seem to think commercial rates waivers going to help, if businesses can barely afford to pay their rents or employee's, these waivers are utterly meaningless.

• Advertisement

Luckily for me they haven't gone after my business's sector again yet but if they do I'll be pulling the plug.

I can't imagine what bars/restaurants/nightclubs and the countless businesses connected to them are going through at the moment. I wouldn't blame any of them if they decided to just wrap up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭brickster69

Must be a total nightmare Larsson. What do you do, keep throwing money at it when there is no sign of an end. Bad enough for the pubs with the uncertainty yet these nightclubs cannot possibly survive and they will have a job to sell them as a going concern because they are not. What do you do ?

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Michael Martin is so hard to like. He's lying to the public at the moment that these restrictions are due to Omicron variant. We all know these restrictions were coming, NPHET doesn't trust us to behave over Christmas (rightly or wrongly). But MM has no problem standing out in front us lying telling us how great of a job they're doing only for this new variant to come and scupper our plans.

I load of us said it on here at the time, we should have had next to no restrictions all summer but we were told no just another few months and all will be fine, this thing isn't seasonal. It's actually unbelievable when you think about it that we were still be fined thousands for leaving the country up to mid July! As soon as Winter comes then everyone agrees it's seasonal. It sounds like Leo finally realises this but its a year and a half too late.

I have connections in the sector having spent 30 years in it and it's pretty Grim as it is . The past few months really was only about catch up and a slow one at that . I had a restaurant myself many years ago and my god I shudder to think what it would have been like trying to make rent, lease, tax payments if I was still in that business. I personally know 10 owners who not even scratch the surface dealing with legacy debt challenges, its honestly heart breaking .

Separately I know some in the Adventure centre sector , particularly children's play centres. Closed for 19 months, barely open a month and gov telling people to stay away. Serious rents owed and I can confidently say friends I've spoken to will, through absolutely no fault of theirs shut up shop shortly. It would seem the only way to get actual government support is set up a **** Panto production company and go on media outlets and moan, whinge and cry and seek attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Warehousing of revenue debt is going to be a big problem for businesses in due course as revenue are going to forgive **** all. And even the wage subsidy is going to be reviewed and they will go and recover as much as they can. revenue are sharpening their knives waiting for government to release them

So I'm heading for my booster shortly at my GP surgery, I need it as I'm immune compromised, I honestly never thought I'd even think about or even say it but after yesterday's rather depressing debacle, I'm actually beginning to wonder, what is the point really . Saying this or even thinking this way is shocking but I don't think I'm alone 😕

They absolutely are and it was very curious a report only 2 days ago that Revenue have reported a number of companies to the Gardai, essentially claiming blatant Robbery, not just Fraud. Separately the CRO told companies struggling to meet deadline for returns to go to the district court to seek extensions, I'm no company law expert but I agree the knives are being sharpened, not just over at revenue but also commercial Landlords Queuing up outside the High Court . I understand landlords have entitlements too but my god this is going to get very messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I remember when the covid pass was introduced and I believe there was no expiration date. Now it's a year, in some countries it's even less.

The deceit is just incredible really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are lads in here that defended the summer restrictions to the very hilt. The recreational shills telling us that if staying closed for another 3 months meant we never had to close again it was worth it, that keeping bars shut just another few weeks to get jabs in arms was worth it, that the super duper vaccine rollout was going to be the end of it. And when you pointed out that delaying reopening until the end of October was a bad idea they called you a doom monger and whinger.

They didn't get it then, they won't get it now. They defended restrictions in the summer and they will try to hand wave them away again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The point is to protect yourself from a potentially lethal virus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement