Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Depends on numbers - hospital cases are up to 101 but ICU now down to 20. That's really not enough to derail it plus NHPET have locked themselves into the digital pass approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We will know for sure on Wednesday, it's strange how they need primary legislation to make sure we don't go into a pub un-vaccinated but for restrictions on international travel a very simple "we don't recommend it" was sufficient

Would a simple statement like "we don't recommend indoor dining or drinking, unless you're vaccinated please stay outside" not be a better approach?

???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think it’s unlikely or we’d be hearing noises about it already. Great to see case numbers so high and ICU numbers not following like clockwork, this is what I’ve been hoping for for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Tony will have to magic something up very soon or it will be all over bar the shouting this day next week, im surprised he didnt stick some pictures up on twitter of people at the beach or in croke park yesterday without face masks.he has still time i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I wonder if he regrets paying a mortgage considering how easy it is to live rent free in your heads.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well they were always there, dropping them was just a proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Makes sense for the restaurant industry. Quicker turnover, more bums on seats.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

a bizarre comment.

Tony has commanded our lives to the nth degree for the past 15 month. the notion we shouldn't think or form opinions about him and his decrees' is weird.

he has rules nearly single handed since covid arrived as he has a loyal follower in Michael Martin and somebody has a hold on Leo since the leak-gate thing.

so yeah - I don't get your "rent free" comment at all. In fact, its' kinda a lame cut/paste dig from the comments section of some sh1te like lad bible.

not necessarily

much bigger margins on drinks than food. if a group stays and horses into the wine after dessert , they could be a better bet than 2 similar sized groups for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭celt262

Any restaurant i have been in before covid had time limits because you know they need the table for the next booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"Commanded our lives" "decrees" "rules"

Maybe instead of being obsessed with a medical officer being overly cautious, you should focus on the absolute lack of any balance or spine shown by the government....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Really? Where have you been eating?

I have never been in any restaurant pre-covid that had a time-limit of how long we could stay.

If you want to have a coffee after dessert and sit with it, its fine. If you want to order another bottle of wine, its fine. I dont recall anywhere being stingy enough to kick you out after X amount of time

well i do - you would have seen my posts over the last year or so. I have been quite vocal on the lack of anything really from the cabinet other than deference to NPHET . So in a way your comment is odd if you'd even read a modicum of this thread - which you have cos you post frequently.

I have written to my TDs multiple times on that many facets of covid and the impact on our lives. Their replies would be funny if it wasn't a tragic situation. A recent missive from minister Darragh Obrien (FF) was about 2 pages long and didn't address my point at all.

But that doesn't exonerate NPHET or it's head honcho despite my agreement with you that cabinet deserve the bulk of the blame

Dr Tony does his press conferences and he is a public figure - which he is - he (and his fans) must expect criticisms from people who think his policies are mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So the official, actual current HSE guidelines are:

Fully vaccinated people can visit together indoors with no limit on numbers. This also applies to people who had a positive COVID-19 test in the past 9 months. This is called the vaccine bonus. Nothing about time limits etc

Unless that happens to be a pub or a restaurant, then fully vaccinated people are in mortal danger if they stay beyond a certain time!!

Yep makes sense, total sense. So glad i got vaccinated now so i can have that bonus of mixing with other fully vaccinated people... for a specific length of time only!!

Heres an out there thought, it makes sense for many restaurants to have a time limit, so, and i know that this may be a bit out there for some, may take a few by surprise, how about leaving it up to them!!! ye know the people that own the establishments. I mean everyone in there is vaccinated or are they just deliberately trying to make people think whats the point of getting vaccinated in the 1st place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Philip Nolan doomongering right on que:

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-wave-5500144-Jul2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really? Where have you been eating?

I've been in plenty of restaurants in my life that have a concept of "sittings"; where you make a booking for (say) 8 o'clock, and you have to be finished by 10 to make way for the next sitting.

It's a practice that has been slowly declining, it was certainly very common 10-15 years ago, especially at the weekends.

Anyway, the time limit thing was only really off the table in the speculation phase. Once the legislation was published last week, it was back in. IIRC, there was a time limit for outdoor dining last year so at least that's gone.

I'm not entirely sure how valid it is as a measure. In practice, 105 minutes is more than enough time to have a relaxed meal and move on. But in terms of preventing viral spread, if an infected person is in the room, then it's about 70 minutes too long.

Logically it seems better to have less turnover of customers in a given evening rather than more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The doom is in full flow this morning. Had to turn off Newstalk as it was just all doom and gloom and fear mongering over "long Covid".

• Advertisement

Restaurants have always operated a time limit on tables. It's just official now.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I’d say the real reason they have a time limit in place is to force people to go pub crawling and spend money in different pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Had to do the same with Morning Ireland. The presenter was having a real go at Chief Exec of Restaurants association of Ireland, she was actually relentless, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

I think people are better off avoiding the doom merchants who are just trying to instil fear and hysteria to drum up ratings.

Has any further data been released on the 60% of the current hospitalisations in the UK who have been double jabbed? I assume the vast majority of these are vulnerable persons?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭prunudo

He made a monumental cockup and had to clarify his comments later in the evening.

What he should have said was that 60% of hospital admissions were unvaccinated.

Not necessarily. If they're fully booked, they'll be shifting them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Since this new awful boards site has been brought in, I've barely touched this site, and I've found my happiness increase five-fold. It's a pure hassle to actually post here now, as the site is not easily usable, so it makes me not want to even bother lurking often, and post even less.

Would highly recommend others getting off here. It will do wonders for the head. Leave the folks with quadruple figure posts per day to argue amongst themselves.

Loads of places. Have you never booked a table for example 7 on a Saturday evening and and been told you need to be gone by a certain time as the table is booked for 9?

• Advertisement

Some seem to think its a new thing, maybe on a quiet weeknight you can sit on but they always had time slots.

Advertisement