Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kentu

Can't believe this story has dominanted the discussion thread throughout the past week with loads of Club Hurling going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Sure tell us about some of the club games you were at so?

Just back from the Boro and Village. An absolutely dire game with more wides than scores easily finished 2-12 to 0-14. Bill Sheehan probably the only bright spot in a lot of poor performances got at least 2-3 from play. Boro were missing Buckley, Padraig Moylan and Liam Moore while the Village were missing Conor Browne and Niall Brassil.

It was the ultimate dead rubber game and they never gave the crowd anything to get their teeth into. Harry Shine struggled to replicate his good performance from last week but Timmy Clifford came on for the last fifteen and eventually got into the game and got a point. Ross Whelan and Scanlon got a few scores for the Village but playing Cian Kenny as a sweeper for most of the second half was robbing Peter to pay Paul. Nothing at stake only city bragging rights and neither team would want to brag too much after that performance. Better to come surely from both although the Villages form would suggest they'll struggle to lift it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

The best thing to do with Joyce is wait till he's home first and hopefully he'll get a few games under his belt with the rower and see how that goes first. If he's hurling well and gets a call in next year great if he isn't hurling well or hasn't a notion of playing for kk that's ok aswell. We'll see how he gets on for the rower first. He definitely wasn't too bad a few years ago for a brief stint but that's a few years ago. He might not want to try to make the kk panel. We'll have to wait and see how it goes. Hopefully he can come back and settle down,find a suitable job and accommodation etc first

Went into the boro match aswell. Only bragging rights on offer. Both teams missing a few key player's. Both teams guilty of poor shooting especially the boro at the start of the second half. Harry will be dissapointed with a few good efforts that went wide but he's definitely an addition to the boro. Bill sheehan was good at different stages and although he drove a few wides he has worked on his striking and he's enjoying the freedom out around the half foward line. It will be intresting to see how he goes here with things heat up.The boro are comfortable moving the ball around and as I said the other day they've a good back room team. The village have a few players to come back but they will need to lift things a good bit if they're to have any kind of say In this championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭blackcard

Darren Mullen listed to start at full back with Colin Fennelly No. 31 for the Shamrocks. Will be interesting to see how much they and Tullaroan put into the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

Tullaroan will want to win for sure, think they will play O'Loughlins if they lose. They will want to avoid them early on i'd imagine. Shamrocks getting players back looks ominous for everyone else. Mullinavat could end up in relegation if Comer pull off a shock win, is Michael Murphy back yet for them? Love the format in KK senior/intermediate league/championship. Was at Tullaroan v Ballycallan U13 B championship Friday, what a match from both sides. It had everything passion, skill, relentess hurling some cracking scores and the free taking was off the charts. Some crowd too brought a brilliant atmosphere. Hats off to both teams for such a great match, future looks bright for both clubs, Ballycallan won 1-11 to 0-10

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

1st round:

OLG v MVat

Shamrocks v Glenmore

Village v Lisdowney

Comer v GBC

League Final:

Bennettsbridge v Tullaroan

Shield Final:

Clara v Dicksboro

I have been impressed by Tullaroan bar their match against Mullinavat, they have been putting up good scores and Shane Walsh has returned to form. Mullinavat will face OLG coming off 3 wins in a row and might come close. I still think that Shamrocks are vulnerable but unlikely to be Glenmore. The Village will be nervous enough facing Lisdowney.

Glenmore and o loughlins was an enjoyable match. Both teams played better against the wind. Glenmore gave away a really soft goal a quick free from the goalie was intercepted and put away. Owen wall was back today and he was lively after missing alot of hurling. Alan Murphy was togged but didn't play. Ian byrne was very good and Liam hennesy who mightnt be the most stylish got 4 or 5 points off huw lawlor. Lawlor himself got 2 points. O loughlins will be dissapointed that Glenmore opened them up a few times when they ran at them. Glenmores target at the start of the year was probably stay up and they've achieved that and being very competitive In all their matches. Shane Walsh and Billy Reid were also good today. Unlucky for them they've drawn the shamrocks. Darren mullen didn't play but Colin came on. Tullaron won't be any push overs and they've mossy and Shane Walsh hurling well. Shane is definitely a lad who could do well under Derek Lyng.

Clara were always comfortable against lisdowney. Chris bolger with the clara goal and lisdowney got a late consolidation goal.Vegas will be delighted with the last few matches. John Walsh was a thorn in the comer side who had Michael Murphy come on. Sean Ryan was good for ballycallan who had a better performance against the bridge who were minus Liam blanchfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Looking in from the outside the shield final looks like a completely pointless game, a game the teams involved would be delighted not to play.

• Advertisement

True but it means every team in the senior grade has a match on that weekend. I see no harm in that. May as well have a match than training.

I think the Bridge won the league final last year and their reward was to get Ballyhale in the next round. Whoever wins this year could get Ballyhale, OLG or James Stephens

They could reward the teams with an extra week off at least. Play league finals this weekend and give some reward for getting there. Pointless games with one eye on quarter's finals the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

I agree that the top teams 2 teams in each group deserve that additional reward of an extra week off before the start of the championship. Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think any teams set any value on an extra game at this stage of the season when you weigh up the risks of picking up an injury or a red card. I've said it before - I'd love to see some teams call the Co Board bluff and just refuse to play the league or shield final. What's the penalty for conceding a league game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Village87

The league and shield final serve a purpose. Its a glorified challenge match, Teams can use it to their advantage .Anyone carrying a knock is rested and teams can try a few things out, e.g some players need game time, few positional changes and its not the cut throat championship. I see nothing wrong with playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kentu

I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing them but one week out from knockout championship is questionable for a reward for finishing top, I'd say if all 4 clubs that qualified were given a choice they would take your hand off for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think the reason they have to play the league/shield final is so the league part of the championship is technically a separate competition and that players the won’t lose status until they play a knockout championship match. If no league/shield final was played a player could play 2 minutes of a senior league game and then be ineligible to play junior after that and would need to be regraded at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The Ballyhale v Tullaroan game lived up to the billing of being the pick of the games of the weekend.

Ballyhale blazed out of the blocks and were 1-04 to a point after about ten minutes and they continued to pile on the pressure for another 5 minutes or so and were 1-07 to 0-03. Ballyhales dominance was summed up in one moment, it was as a result of a complete lapse in the Tullaroan defence on a free for TJ he spotted Brian Cody in absolutely acres of space. A quick pass from Cody and it was one of the easiest points you'll see. TJ got the goal and took it well. Ballyhale were playing with the very strong wind and their good players were running riot with TJ, Adrian Mullen and Brian Cody all cause loads of trouble. Eoin Cody made plenty of runs but Tommy Walsh eventually got on top here and E Cody only got a single point in the whole game near the end of the game.

Tullaroan started the come back with their half backline getting on top and also going a lot more direct to their full forward line. Tullaroan actually led by 2 a couple of minutes before halftime but Ballyhale levelled it up before the break on a score line of 1-11 to 0-14(I think).

Tullaroan were excellent in the second half and worked their socks off. Their half forward line all finished the game with 5 points from play, Mossy Keoghan, David Walton and Shane Walsh. Gearóid Dunne got 0-4, Dylan Simpson and Pádraig Walsh got 1 as did Tommy Walsh when he came on and he got a great cheer. Pádraig was phenomenal once Tullaroan started playing as was Walton, young Tommy and Shane Walsh and Gearóid Dunne.

Tullaroan were very deserving winners and on that form they will cause every other team lots of trouble. Colin Fennelly played the second half and wasn't overly impressive, I'm sure he'll improve and Ballyhale will definitely need players back if their going to play the top teams, their defence looked very soft once Tullaroan went direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Still no U20 manager, very slow.

My ranking of the teams at this stage is

1 Ballyhale, but more vulnerable than last year

2 Tullaroan, they have been putting up big scores

3 Dicksboro but I have a concern about them on a wet windy day

4 OLG, the return of Owen Wall will help

5 Bennettsbridge, I don't think they have enough scoring forwards.

6 Clara, hard to put them away

7 Mullinavat, coming off 3 wins

8 Glenmore, have had a decent year

9 James Stephens, things not right in the camp

10 Lisdowney, have put up decent performances

11 Erins Own. Lack scoring forwards

12 Graigue Ballycallan. Jesse Roberts back, maybe Colum Prenderville but confidence is low

• Advertisement

Tullaron will be no push over. They have recovered well from the controversial score against clara and then a loss against Vegas. They have a very good spine and a good half back line. Walton is a lovely hurler and can pop up anywhere for a score. Mossy and Shane Walsh are hurling well and dunne is a Hardy bit of stuff. They have a bit of momentum and maybe would be better off playing a 1st round instead of a league final.

Olg and Vegas should be a good match. Vegas have much more settled team with lads like Liam fennelly back for them. Olg have yet to reach the heights of last year and they'll need to be careful or they could be caught. Robbie Buckley Is a loss but Owen wall is a help.lawlor looked like he was trying to cover too much ground against Glenmore and altho he got two good long range scores hennesy got four or five points. Glenmore caused them trouble with their direct running. John Walsh Is hurling really well for them so butler could pick him up like he did a few years ago in ballyhale.

Ballyhale are starting to get a few players back and despite more hardship for the club recently they're still the team to beat but joey will be a huge loss and Darren mullen injured again will weaken things but you would expect them to score more than the opposition.Glenmore have being competitive apart from the boro match and they've a nice team but the shamrocks should have too much firepower.

Is former laois football manager John sugrue now involved with the village? Lisdowney gave up easily enough against clara but they'll also be no pushover. The village should have browne and brassil back. Lisdowney won't be any pushover.

Village87 may take the cobwebs off that helmet and tog out for the village and give his old friend cody a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

How about playing the league, shield finals after the championship? Could be tasty if you got a repeat of a fiery County Final!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galestorm1

Any idea what dates are proposed for senior / intermediate county final weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

23rd October for the intermediate final and 30th for the senior final as far as I know

I think the Senior final is the week before the Intermediate

Senior Final is on 16th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I suppose the worry might be that the team that win the county final also win the league and it might be difficult to fit it in then with Leinster championship! As was said here a good bit the common sense thing would be to play them this weekend and give them a a week off before championship starts

They should have fixed first round matches and league and shield for this weekend with a two week break to quarter finals.

Between Covid and now the split season over the last few years the league and shield finals have got squeezed in week before quarters which is pretty much now unavoidable unless the county season finishes earlier. Was never really an issue before with the old league structure. There was always a break of a few weeks between league final and quarters. There is an opportunity to play it this weekend which I think is just reward for clubs for playing well in the league to have that break week off but I would say unlikely to happen.

I just looked up Leinster club 1st round. Not on until 12/13th of November. Not sure why the KK championship was squeezed so tight. Definitely another 2 weeks they could have used in between all the games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Tullaroan lads seem to be very excited about Gearoid Dunne, but I though he was a back?

We do seem to have a serious crop of 18-19 year olds

Dunne, Joe Fitzpatrick, Owen Lyng, Drennan, Shine, Clifford

Advertisement