Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

I wouldn't begrudge the camogie players a holiday but if enough funding isn't there perhaps they should tailor the holiday to match the funds. Everybody is struggling at the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

A lot of money was raised pre the final to help cover expenses. I know 20000 was the aim. I presume all this has been accounted for and it's very hard to go back looking for more from people now. Definitely county board and Camogie Association could do more to help fund a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

If the camogie county board cut down on the dinners for one or two lads involved they'd save thousands by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Their finances .

Not too bad, You'd imagine they could stump up for a squad that won 2 all irelands in 3 years !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Or the gpa... Who are very quiet in this considering they are the only organisation that spans all associations, are given large sums, and should be leading the way in player equality? Getting a very soft pass in this imo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭hogans heroes

Girls and management deserve a holiday for their achievements over the last few years. If everyone who turned out to welcome them home gave 2 euro , they would have enough.hopefully.people will.be as genetous as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

AFAIK they recieved €1500 from The Camogie assoc.

They are asked to get 5 companies to 'sponsor' them, but no amount of money given as a target ??

So, they have to go shaking buckets at games.....

We are trying to organise an event to raise a few quid for them with our club.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

The clubs were asked to do a lot of fundraising pre the final and lots of businesses sponsored players. It's hard to go back to the same people again looking for money. Clubs also have to bear in mind they will be looking to fundraiser for themselves also. Definitely think it's time for the county board and Camogie Association to step up and not have girls out shaking buckets. The county board themselves are quiet on the issue and it would probably help if they came out and explained where the money raised pre the final was spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It looks like the Limerick hurlers also have to fundraise for their holiday so this is hardly exclusive to the Camogie team. On the Limerick approach, asking €150 for a training jersey is obscene!

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/limerick-sport/910630/limerick-gaa-launch-new-special-training-jersey-to-support-holiday-fund-for-hurling-heroes.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭kentu

What do people make of the games coming up this weekend??

On the league finals I don't think any of the teams will risk players that may be carrying any niggles or knocks, it will be hard to read much into them but I'd feel Tullaroan will go hard at a league final to keep momentum and confidence going.

Shamrocks v Glenmore - I'd find it hard to make a serious case for Glenmore to win this but they'll fight hard no doubt, but Shamrocks just have too many aces all over the field.

O'Loughlins v Mullinavat - Mullinavat have come into form at the right time of year but will depend on John Walsh and Ger malone for scores. While bookies may not back them I'm going for a shock here and Vegas to win by 1.

Village v Lisdowney - Tight venue in Ballyragget will suit Lisdowney here and there will be no more than a puck of a ball in it, could end up being a draw and going to extra time possibly. Village will need big games from their county men

Comer v Ballycallan- both have really struggled this year but Graigue probably more so but they were probably in the harder group not that any are easy, if Billy Ryan Could get going I'd tip them to edge it here.

Dunnamaggin v O'Loughlins - O'Loughlins going really well and I think they'll book a quarter final spot here.

Mooncoin v Gowran - both teams have been up and down, Mooncoin have probably shown a small bit more consistency than gowran though, if Mooncoin get running game going I think they'll win.

Fenians v Conahy - Fenians as ever struggling but they'll love it when pressure comes on, played reasonably well last weekend but leaked too many goals, I'm backing them to make a quarter final here though.

St Martin's v St Lachtain's - Freshford should win this but are missing good forwards from last year including James Maher, Martin's should be boosted from winning the Junior B but It may not be enough here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Marrooned

For f..k sake are they ever going to pick an U20 manager. Have they anyone to even pick from. Is Mark Dowling after becoming available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Its a bit of a joke that the u20 manager hasn't being announced.Should some of the this year's backroom team stayed involved for some continuity especially with so many underage next year? It's great that most of the chaps are getting exposed to adult club hurling albeit most junior and intermediate its still a good standard.The few players who were eligible last year for their club definitely benefitted from it. Hopefully im wrong but I've seen most of them playing at different stages for their clubs and most of them could have a long way to go before being ready to break in the kk team.The younger lads haven't stood out in any matches but maybe I'm being harsh but we will need some patience.

Looking foward to a few club matches this weekend and for alot of teams it could be their last game of the year. The league and shield finals will probably lack intensity and real bite. Any niggles will be rested but all the teams will want to keep momentum going and will want to get the win but won't lose too much sleep if they loose.Are all club games €10 admission?

Glenmore and the shamrocks will be live on tg4. Glenmore will be delighted to have held their own to date apart from the boro match earlier.id be worried about their full back line and the last team you want to be playing is the shamrocks. Shane and eoin Murphy and Billy Reid are all hurling well and they'll be hoping Liam hennesy,Ian byrne,ger alyward and a returning Alan Murphy can catch fire against a vulnerable shamrocks defence at times but joey if he plays will be a huge addition.

Lisdowney will be happy enough to get the village in ballyragget. Both teams are struggling to get scores on the board. Lisdowney dropped the heads a bit too easy against clara but they are a balanced hardworking team. The village improved a bit the last few games and have cody and john sugrue involved but they'll need to get much more out of their bigger players.

I watched olg the last day and they'll know themselves they have work to do. Vegas have a bit of momentum and their bigger players are hurling well. Robbie Buckley Is a loss but Owen wall is a big addition but they will need to get more out of a few more fowards. Deegan looks a bit lost at times.

Comer and gbc have probably being the two poorest teams and can't afford to be down the few players they've being missing. Michael Murphy has being comers scoring chief for years and he only has a few minutes under his belt.gbc had a few lads in states this summer, Jessie Roberts should be back I think and they're hoping colum prenderville will be available.They will be looking towards Billy and Sean Ryan for big performances.

In the intermediate its hard to call the mooncoin and young irelands game. I know mooncoin were very dissapointed the last day while gowran got a few goals against a fading Dunnamaggin team. Both teams have had mixed results and haven't backed up a good performance.young Ireland sent mooncoin down junior a few years ago if they wanted any motivation but both teams look to be on the right track with their underage structures.

Johnstown came from this position last year to reach a semi final. It's the one team the opposition won't like playing.They're the masters of relegation. Conahy have some nice hurlers but like the òther few teams they usually follow a good result up with a bad one.

Muckalee should get a lift from winning the junior last weekend and they could roll out a few warriors like the great John maher this weekend. Freshford are down 3 of their best players but they still have a decent team. This one could be close.

The 4 teams In the shield/league final have being the most consistent and all 4 will fancy their chances of winning the county final. The way the junior finished up might leave a bad taste with Carrickshock or it might give them motivation. I think it was going to croke park to be appealed. Richie has the intermediates getting goals and is getting the best from jake dwyer and eoghan o neill. The rower have leahy hurling great stuff. Pat Lyng is also hurling well.Darragh Joyce although very rusty,his presence and athleticism should be a help and the more hurling he gets in the better. Danesfort decision to change management very early has worked so far.Thèy will be hoping to keep Richie injury free. Thomastown recovered well after the shock loss and it might of done them no harm.They have a big panel and are using the ball better so far this year. Maybe over doing at times. They've a few lads returning from injuries but anything other than a county final will be a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Village87

Very good overview of weekend matches. Senior relegation matches will be colossus. Village and Ballycallan to win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

1000% jumping the gun on this one but with Kildare champions now in Senior after Naas winning the All Ireland, Leinster Intermediate should be interesting. Oulart should be strong and Meath and Wicklow champions have been competitive different years.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Neewollah

Anyone have a result from O Louglins and Mullinavat. No updates online throughout the game

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lowball

Mullinavat by a point

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

Hi folks. What weekend will the senior club hurling final be on, yiz reckon. Thinking about making the trek for it.

A right crowd in ballhale dor this one. A low scoring cagey match.olg had 3 wides at the end to level it and then Vegas got a goal on the counter and olg responded immediately with a goal. Ref blew it up then. Vegas started to panic with a few minutes to go when they were 4 points up but olg will be disgusted with the wides and were very dissapointedwalking off the pitch but they cant have many complaints. Hearry hit a load of ball and butler man marked John Walsh.

The bridge were cat against a very good tullaron team. Really impressed with gearoid dunne and Walton got a few lovely scores. Mossy was also good. They will really fancy this championship.the bridge won the league last year and lost the first day out but they weren't at the races

Mooncoin had a deserved win over gowran. Mooncoin could of had 8 or 9 goals. They missed a penalty and sliced open gowran time after time but amazingly gowran were left hanging in the game but the scoreline would probably flatter them a bit. The southerners were 7 or 8 point better team

Muckalee caused an upset today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭blackcard

Credit to the county board for arranging fixtures in the club league and championship so far as supporters have been able to see as many matches as possible. You could attend all 6 senior matches this weekend.

Tullaroan were good and Bennettsbridge were very poor in the league final. Tullaroan will fear no one going forward. Not sure if Bennettsbridge were trying. If they were, they won't be going any further.

It was an entertaining if low quality game between Mullinavat and OLG. Thought the referee let a lot go which suited a more physical Vat. OLG have only themselves to blame however, hitting 15 wides and 4 of their forwards were held scoreless. Vegas forwards were not brilliant either but scored 3 goals to get over the line. Whoever gets them in the next round has to be prepared for a battle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

There will be a lot of restless sleep around loughboy after a cat day for city teams. I hope supervalue in ballyraggett have enough spare jocks to sell out there tomorrow!

Wing mirrors to litter the continent tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Neewollah

Looking forward to Village and lisdowney tomorrow. Should be a cracker and a great venue for a relegtion match.

Only had time to get to league final today. Sorry I did. Bridge were a joke. Tullaroan were good but in no way tested. Will be a tough match for anyone. I'm not sure what to expect from Bennettsbridge now next weekend but has to be hard to improve that much in a week.

Was at the Junior league Final myself....Another league final that lacked any intensity and cutting edge but Tullogher done what they needed to do with Danny Glennon popping over 7 points from play.

Piltown drove 14 wides and missed a goal chance or 2 along with that but both teams will want to be careful in a quarter final as whoever they meet will be after coming through tough championship games no doubt.

Was not at all surprised by Mullinavat winning that game they have a seriously committed bunch of players that will match it with the best on their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

1100 euro raised at the local match this morning for the camomile girls

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Shamrocks Glenmore match on TG4 now. You would fear for Glemnore here, as Shamrocks seem to be able to cut through like a hot knife through butter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Comerman

Draw has been made

Lisdowney pushed the village all the way and the scoreboard was probably a little harsh on them. Cian Kenny was very good at 6 and brassil pointed most of the frees. Tadgh dywer got a goal. Lisdowney were missing aidan Tallis who was a big loss to them. He came on with a few mins to go. They missed him for the frees. The village will be relieved to get this one over with and move on.

Most of the crowd then headed for Freshford where gbc can have no complaints. Prenderville came on and got two points but the bigger names were very quite. Comer were good and delaney and Wallace were good. Fogarty was up and down but jack buggy was very good and threw over a few sidelines. On this performance lisdowney would have to be favourites but relegation takes on a life of its own

Glenmore done as well as they could but ultimately the shamrocks have too much class. They had enough got at half time to win most matches. Clara drew the short straw but the only thing is now is the beat time usually to meet them. Clara are dogged but it's hard look past the shamrocks

Heard darragh Joyce got 5 points today for the rower and he should improve from getting game time and should be a big addition.

Olg lost a few players last night and Dunnamaggin had a good win. Darren Fitz got two goals and Denis Walsh got 3 good points.

Thomastown pulled away from danesfort who brought on John Joe to get a goal. I think its 2 or 3 leagues for Thomastown

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Mullinavat very strong last night , very direct hurling but seemed to run out of steam as loughs got a handle on them in the second half but just ran out of time. Dicksboro will have to raise their game big time to match the Vegas intensity, this game cound also be down for Ballyhale which would suit Vegas. James Stephens will be happy to draw the bridge, Clara were unfortunate to draw Ballyhale and Tullaroan and Comer could be tight enough. All to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭blackcard

Mullinavat would like to play in Ballyhale all right but it could be 2 double headers in the Park. I would fancy Dicksboro if it's a fine day, I don't think that Vat will score the goals that won them the match yesterday. Tullaroan are putting up decent scores so I would think that they should beat Comer. Again, Comer wouldn't mind a wet windy day at a country ground. Clara should run Ballyhale closer, they will need goals and Joey Holden looked a bit rusty today but hard to see Ballyhale beaten. Bennettsbridge were poor yesterday and will need to improve a lot to give the Village a match

• Advertisement

No surprise with the way Shamrocks dealt with Glenmore after. Glenmore to their credit never stopped trying and working but Ballyhale had too much class everywhere, TJ and Colin didn't need to set the world alight...Ger Aylward gave Joey Holden a tough afternoon and did damage when ball came into him but not enough really came his way to make it a competitive match. Billy Reid was another player who done his prospects in front of Derek Lyng no harm. The 2nd half was practice match material with little or no intensity and giving plenty of subs a run out.

Advertisement