Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Dunne has played in the forwards for Tullaroan the whole way up with only occasional use as a 6. I think CBS might have played him as a 6 as well last year but I'm struggling to remember. Fairly sure KK minors only used him as a 6 when Langton got injured and they felt they had noone else to play there. Unreal skill, savage hand and ridiculous power for his age. I haven't seen him play senior yet so can't comment but it's good news for Kilkenny if he's translating that talent to adult hurling as the fear is always that part of the reason he was so good underage was because of his physical attributes.

Eoin Lyng is still minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kentu

Other serious players that we already know about would be Killian Doyle, Danny Glennon, Sean Purcell, Denis Walsh and Ian Byrne.

Most of these lads are in their 1st year of adult hurling, like any young players they can look unbelievable some days and others it just might not happen but it's a big step up marking experienced players for such young players.

Billy Drennan was only slowly making his way back from injury but went off again at the weekend, hopefully it wasn't anything too serious and that he can get another few games in this year with Galmoy. A serious looking Corner forward on his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

That's actually good because I think we will be well catered for in backs in coming years with Blanchfield, Joe Fitzpatrick, Eoin Lyng (had forgotten he was minor again in 2023, thanks), maybe Purcell and Clifford too, supplementing Lawlor and Butler.

The AI final showed to me that we are at least two class forwards short at moment. Drennan, Shine, Dunne. Early days but relistically we probably need at least two of them to really take off.

Maybe too much gloom at lack of success at U14 to Minor and concerns they aren't maybe being coached/trained as well as other counties.

Cant remember which manager remarked on the physical transformation of Kilkenny 2022 U20 team from minor (Brian Hanley? Limerick manager?)

A bit like Ballyhale at club, we do still appear to be able to produce a steady stream of exceptional hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Sorry, Lyng is/was minor this year but not in 2023. The other names you listed are 18 and 19 but he is 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I agree there could be more of an advantage for the teams finishing top 2 in the league leading into the championship.

But there is still a Competition at senior level to be won. Bennettsbridge or Tullaroan should be going all out to win the Final.

Neither have won alot at senior level over the past 20 years.

No championships since 71 for bennettsbridge or since 94 for Tullaroan.

Better to keep the winning momentum going leading into quarter final instead of losing after a half hearted effort in a league final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Village87

Mikey Carey very unlucky not to get an All Star nomination. Deserved one over both Richie Reid and Paddy Deegan imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Absolutely. Himself and Lawlor outstanding in the full back line in Croke Park this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Cody couldn't recognise Deegan's shortcomings, Lyng will just have to. His own club has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

While I agree with ye realistically i can't ever remember an all star selection or nominee selections that didn't upset somebody. Clare lads on Twitter giving out Conor Cleary didn't get nominated, as a Wexford supporter I think Matthew O'Hanlon is unlucky.

On the Darragh Joyce chat he's done an interview with Colm Parkinson today on his podcast. He's home for a couple of months but planning on heading back to Australia with the hope of being picked up by a club over there. Hasn't shut the door completely on hurling though if things don't work out down under.

• Advertisement

Big weekend of underage knock out matches this weekend. We have a great chance of doing the clean sweep in underage. u13, u15 and Minor. Has it been done before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I’d say the borough have, certainly at u17,u19 and u21.

Still no u20 manager,what are they waiting for, all the u20 players are involved in their senior clubs at the start of the championships and nobody in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

Next county board meeting hasn't happened since Lyng was appointed. Could well be under 20 management named at next weeks meeting. They are never named before coming to the county board

Fair enough, but it needs to be sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Nedflanders02

There’s a county board meeting tomorrow night which should hopefully have some news on it! Michael Dempseys long awaited coaching committee review is down to be presented to delegates also.

That would be good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

We now know what way the intermediate is shaping up.

Olg v Dunnamaggin

Young irelands v mooncoin

Johnstown v conahy and Muckalee v Freshford in the relegation first round.

Ttown v danesfort league and cshock v rower in the shield

Dunnamaggin will be very dissapointed yesterday. After a very good start young irelands turned it into a battle and won the arm wrestle. Young Irelands could of had 5 goals while Dunnamaggin didn't threaten the oppostions goal. Dunnamaggin dominated the first half and should of being much more ahead but conceded two goals one being a penalty.I think they only scored a pointed free in the last 15 minutes. A few of Dunnamaggins bigger names didn't play to their potential. Michael cody seemed to have got injured early and went down a few times. Joe Fitzpatrick also went off injured.Young irelands got a goal in extra time to put the icing on the cake but Dunnamaggin will be dissapointed they weren't further ahead when they were well on top but ultimately the concession of 3 goals killed them and it looks like a problem area for them.

No other big surprises in the weekends other games. Cshock continue to bang in the goals. Darragh Joyce came on and was very rusty as expected but he got a point and should be an addition.Muckalee and Johnstown have being struggling all year but I wouldn't like to be meeting either in a relegation final.Freshford are now without James maher who's gone travelling and luke hickey and Shane donnelly haven't being available I think they're also gone travelling. 3 very big losses.

Thomastown should have tucker and John Joe back but cshock,rower and danesfort will all fancy having a cut off thomastown.

Post edited by brookville on

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Liam Hickey Shane Donnelly are not gone travelling Hickey fell out with the Freshford management after the Rower match Donnelly has a bad leg injury so has his cousin that was on the minor team a couple of years ago out for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kentu

Willie Phelan a big loss in the centre of that Dunnamaggin defence over last 2 years.

• Advertisement

Is he abroad or did he just pack it in?

Yea willie is a big loss. There was a disagreement and he's finished

Apparently cshock wanted the junior match today changed because of player welfare with alot involved with both teams so ttown got the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

muckalee threw that line of argument out the window today.

I believe the County Board bowed to pressure and the game will be refixed which I think is ridiculous. As far as I'm aware Thomastown were happy to play it. Looking at both teams in the programme over the weekend. Both seemed to have 5 or 6 on their intermediate teams playing junior A. St Martins i think were in a similar situation and managed to play and win the Junior B final. Now you'll end up with a midweek county final probably under lights which i believe is a scenario no final should be played under.

Thomastown have been awarded the Junior A Final. Sad state of affairs. Both teams had lot of first teamers on it which then led to fixtures on top of each others. Clubs would have known fixture schedule from start of the year. Maybe a mistake with regradings but overlap of players should have been managed better. Final had to be played before 1st round of intermediate. I know during the league stage that there are often 1st team and junior games same weekend and lads get on with it.

Would ttown not of have to have tagged out?

Joey holden home for 6 weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

This was a bit of a joke. Neither team is involved in IHC for another 2 or is it 3 weeks as they were in first two places of their group.As always T town could have allowed match be played on Mon/Tue but they decided to take the walkover.Best of luck to them in Junior proper next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mwcat

All 4 teams looked for some lee way in relation to fixtures. Only 1 refused to play. Co board had to make a decision and everyone is entitled to an appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Not sure who are the biggest jokers in this. Co Board throwing player welfare out the window. Or Thomastown taking a Co Championship in the Committee room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

2 weeks later and they are still trying to raise funds.

They will be at Camogie matches this weekend with buckets looking for donations !!😮

that is disgraceful, and also demeaning to have to (?) do that ! A team that have won 2 all irelands in 3 yrs !

If the Kilkenny Camogie board and the Camogie Assoc arent help them out with funds , its a disgrace !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement