Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭therealdonster

Why don't you go do one then and leave us to it. Nobody here cares what you think...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kentu

If Joyce decides to come home for rest of hurling this year l which I assume he likely will he should be judged on that alone and not what happened 7 or 8 years ago, too much of what goes on in Gaa is judged on the past not in the current moment of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Anyone else actually playing in the kk club scene this year, that hasn't got a run before, putting their hand up to be called up for county selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

Windgap have a couple of lads that I hear mentioned a lot. Young Purcell and Laundy who was on the training panel last year. I have not seen much of them at club level tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

Windgap should be pushing for the junior this year but they were bullied by pat Hartley and tullogher last weekend. Tullogher thought them a lesson at the weekend

Infairness there isnt many around the county who were getting a raw deal the last few years and not in with the county. Sean morrissey and Liam blanchfield are hurling well for the bridge. Pat Lyng at wing back is hurling well for the rower.liam hennesy for Glenmore is hurling well. Michael Kenny for lisdowney. Eoin o neill for cshock. James bergin was excellent the other night.shane Walsh is another who has potential.

• Advertisement

Any of the u20 All Ireland team standing out for there club? I have seen Paddy Langton on a couple of occasions this year and without being negative he has a lot of developing to do. A lot of the players play at Junior level, Purcell, Drennan, Drea, Jack and Killian Doyle, Walsh.

Kilkenny will have to start developing some of these these lads next year as it takes 2/3 years to build up the experience and mental strength required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Embarrassing from this guy.

"We have heard that other county teams who reach men’s finals get help with their trip, get to bring their partners, and have spending money too. We have none of that whatsoever and I don’t think it is right in this day and age," Dowling stated.

Dowling estimates that his successful side trained up to 80 times this season to claim the 2022 title.

They began by working on individual programmes last November and trained collectively three times a week, as well as gym and recovery sessions from January.

Plenty of people around the country train week in week out and get nothing for it. I've seen the mens having to fundraise too with functions pre all Ireland final. The problem is no one is going to pay 150 euro for a function for a camogie team fundraiser. If teams get a holiday, fair play...if they don't, you shouldn't be expecting one. And looking for spending money and bringing partners on as well?

What else are folks in GAA getting out of it that we don't know of?

What organisation is expected to fund this? You would get a lot more at a club Semi Final in Senior and Intermediate than at a Camogie All Ireland semi final. GAA are not part of the camogie as far as I know. Really clutching at straws here. Maybe they should be hitting the sponsors Littlewood's and Dimplex for the funds required

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I like the fact that Brian Dowling is speaking out on behalf of his team. Yeah it mightnt work but it's better than just saying "it's always been this way and we can't change it"

Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Without being too brutal about it, they have no right to a free holiday. As noted above, the GAA literally have no say in this

This is all up to the Kilkenny Camogie Board raising money throughout the year and having money for things like this. Maybe in the future when sorting contracts with sponsors, they should include things like this etc.

But to go back to it, they aren’t ‘entitled’ to it anyway. Big fan of the team though I must say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Lowball

It’s a bit harsh. The county women have the same brutal training regime as the men. Surely a holiday isn’t too extravagant. Kilkenny & Limerick senior hurlers and their partners will be jetting off, so why not the camogies?

I agree but who funds it? Camogie association in Kilkenny and Ireland do not have the resources, it has nothing to do with the GAA. The Government ? Sponsors are the best option.

Attendances with the exception of the All Ireland where most tickets are free are very poor. Did I hear the attendance for the semi final double header were 3k? There would be more at a good league match in Callan

Is this the same Village87 that spends all his time on here giving out about the county board, Cody, Cody's selections, lack of S&C and basically you name it, he will moan about it? Now giving out about the women's camoige team wanting a holiday.

They deserve a holiday and fair play for fundraising. I will be donating. The management are giving out about lack of resources for a holiday and stating inequality but who are they aiming this at and expecting to fund the holiday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

I'm not sure if he's expecting anyone to fund it, or asking for that. He's just pointing out the disparity between the camogie and the hurling. Nowhere in that article did I see any self entitlement to anything.

As was said above, it opens the topic up for discussion and might benefit other teams down the line if procedures are put in place by the camogie board, sponsors, along with fundraising. It's not a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Grats

Eddie O'Connor was laughed at and heavily criticised when he suggested a team holiday for All Ireland finalists years ago. It's the norm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Beat me to it......

I would put Dowlings comments in a similar bracket to what OConnor did , OConnors was a bit more public , on the steps of the Hogan stand.

I would imagine the Camogie Association would have the money to fund/contribute to a winners holiday. It should be done.

The KK girls had to pay €2 at every training session until recently for physio/food/facility ..... !

The Association had a balance carried forward of €2.4mill in 2021, compared to €1.6mill in 2020. (if im reading it correctly??)

Scroll to page 70.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Great to see all the Kilkenny people on this forum lining up behind their All Ireland champion Camogie team and supporting them in their quest for a team holiday 🙃🙃

In fairness when you look at who has been doing that it's just the usual trolls like Village87 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Everyone expects the players to get holidays but expects someone else to pay for it especially people who don’t even support the teams on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

Im not going to name any chaps and they are chaps some that are getting their leaving cert results tomor.Alot of that team are still very young and after looking a few intermediate matches a few of them havent reached the highs of a few months ago but its a big step up playing club hurling in kk. We all know its a very good standard. This will give lads good experience and they'll get a taste of what its like to play at a higher level.

it was a bit of a roller-coaster ride for the u20,not many gave them a chance and it was all over in a few weeks and they won the all Ireland.

Not many players make the transition straight away so we will need to have a bit of patience.Moylan,tallis and Purcell are up to the age and have being better for their clubs than a few of the younger lads.Billy drennan has played little or no hurling for galmoy.Id expect Purcell and moylan to be called in.

I do agree that alot of these lads come from junior clubs so it's important that these lads don't dissappear once they become overage. The intermediate competition is a loss and it was beneficial to players developing.it will be hard keep lads together with no competitive games but some counties run a u23 development squad I don't know would their be an appetite for this in kilkenny.

The last round of league matches take place this weekend and the bridge are the form team but as alot of teams have learned a good league doesn't count for much when the championship starts. Willie maher is now being tipped to take the laois job. The bridge are going well and are getting the best out of the 2 morriseys and blanchfields. The shamrocks are unbelievable to be down a chunk of their team and still be winning these matches.Darrren mullen going off injured again he's cursed with injury. Vegas got a few lads back and got two good wins recently.Tullaron weren't far away last year and if they get on a run they'll be a match for alot of teams.The boro have really turned things around after a terrible start against the bridge but they have plenty of good players and a very impressive back room team.Harry shine was very good the other day.Glenmore have also being competitive.Liam hennesy is hurling well for them.Lisdowney competing very well just losing matches narrowly.Michael kenny is hurling well for them.Comer will be dissapointed to lose the other day but gbc are going very poor.

Cshock and danesfort are consistent at intermediate. Danesfort winning a few matches narrowly and the rower losing a few narrowly.Richie power has cshock going well and they've 9 goals in the last 2 games. Jake o dywer and eoghan o neill both hurling very well and could also get a call up.Thomastown losing to gowran might do them no harm in the long run. They've a few injured lads to get back but unfortunately for them I think they've a few gone for the year. Dylan caulfield and Jay Burke are long term

Windgap were going well up to the other day when tullogher bossed them and beat them by 10 points. Wally and conor hennesy made a return and they've a few good young players like Danny glennon. Windgap won the league last year and got knocked out in the 1st round but they should push hard for the junior this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I wouldnt say 'everyone' (on here) expects the players to get a holiday.....

and the second line ? Its a bit of a moot point. How often people support the camogie team(s) has nothing to do with the fact that the Camogie Assoc SHOULD pay for the Senior all ireland winners team holiday ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭bamayang

Not many would be able give as informed a view across the grades and teams. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

It looks like Darragh Joyce is on his way home from his last post.

I completely understand that he has a huge amount to do to regain his touch in hurling and the likely hood is he won't get back to the level required. There are a few things he has going for him though. He's been training at a professional level for 8 years, he's physical stature and he's natural leadership. Some have said he hasn't touched a hurl in 8 years, which is not true I've regularly seen him pucking about in Oz on his social media, a world away from what he would need to be doing but he has been pucking around a bit, I'd be fairly sure the O'Halpin boys didn't touch a hurl once they left Ireland (could be wrong). If memory serves my right Joyce played a game for the Rower a few years ago when home. It was all hush hush but it got back to the club in Oz and there was talks they might end his contract. Some have said on here that he was a fairly limited hurler even when he was playing but I can't agree. Was he a TJ or Richie Hogan no, not at all but he was definitely had the potential to be a Mick Fennelly type player fiercely strong, physically dominating and intelligent hurler. I remember he played the Boro before he went to Australia after winning the minor AI and he was midfield or half forward and he was incredibly impressive at 18. Took frees and got a few scores from play too.

All this is to say I wouldn't write him off completely as most have here. He has a long way to go to get up to the level of intercounty hurling. The chances are stacked against him but he also has a lot going for him and they are things that he can use to make up for some of his short comings. I think just having a guy from a professional setup in the dressing room at some stage in the future could be hugely beneficial to a young Kilkenny team.

I certainly wish him well and I'm sure he'll line out for the Rower if he gets back in time. I won't be holding my breath waiting for him to charge in and save the day for Kilkenny but if he every rediscovered his touch no one can deny that a smart, 6'5", tank like him with speed could do a job for Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I think Seán Purcell is under age next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Regarding the hush hush hurling game with the Rower. It surprises me they were afraid it would jeopardise his AFL contract. Zach Tuohy has played an average of 2 senior club games a year with Portlaoise since 2010, usually a championship semi and final. They are well publicised.

They always involve a club player trying to take Tuohy out with a shoulder and bouncing off him! Tuohy is in a different league to Joyce, still playing and second Irish man only to Jim Stynes in AFL appearances.

With Darragh Joyce you have a big fit strong man who played minor inter county hurling in 2014. He didn't make a major impact in Aussie Rules. The only thing he has over the club player coming in for trials is that he's better conditioned. But for an entirely different sport! If he was coming back to play gaelic football there'd be some similarities in the games.

I wish him well and will hold up my hand if he makes it. But only 3 or 4 minors make senior in general. Let alone a man playing a totally different sport for 8 years. Tommy Walsh of Kerry left after being young player of the year in 2008, playing senior with Kerry, he came back in the mid 2010s and made some 10-15 minute sub cameos for Kerry up to last year. His father, the great Sean Walsh, said AFL destroyed him as a gaa player.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

The tractor men will be very happy so! 🚜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'll likely butcher this, trying to convey a conversation I had this morning with a lad who went from a professional sporting setup back to amateur level at the end of his career and he reckons Joyce's biggest barrier to getting his hurling back to a decent level will be mental. If he can adjust to the difference between a professional setup and an amateur one then he has a great chance. Most fail at this because they find this drop in level very hard to deal with mentally. It's not a arrogant or big time Charlie thing it's just that your used to operating at a higher level and there can be a lot of frustration to adapt to a lower level and speed of thought and game.

I don't think that would be as much of an issue for Joyce as it would be for say a footballer coming back to play for his county. The footballer is playing a similar game but now at a slightly lower level setup wise. As has been pointed out on here there are lads like Zach Touhy who can do it (admittedly at club level) I think this show's his ability to adapt but lots have failed to adapt too. I don't know enough about football but I'm fairly sure a few lads have come back from the AFL and done well at intercounty football, Tadhg Kennelly for Kerry and Clark for Down (even if Down were poor) are the only two I know of I'm sure there are others, wouldn't be up on the ould football.

Joyce if he can make it will have enough ground to make up in his hurling skills and so that frustration level will be at his own skill level which he can work on if he chooses. No one has ever tried to go from AFL back to intercounty hurling other than Aisake Ó Halpín and if nothing else it will be an interesting journey to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Maybe he will come back and become a dual star with kilkenny..

Could be a big addition to the football team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Lowball

Now lads, gather yourselves in relation to Joyce. Was he ever near the senior panel before he left?? Why would he be ‘an addition’ 8 years later?

Advertisement