Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭therealdonster

He marked James Ryall in the 03 AI. Noel Hickey got the RTE MOTM award in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Apologies. I'm wrong, you're dead right. Thinking of Corcoran 2004.

Ryall fumbled leading to his goal in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Anyone know how the squads went today? From looking at Twitter I think we lost the U14 Tony Forristal and U15 John Doyle finals to Tipp. Also seen some tweets giving out about Kilkenny switching panels or something in the Tony Forristal if anyone knows what that's about?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Just seen a photo of the development squads. Is Joe Pyke still underage. Don’t anyone tell me he’s an integral part of the set up It’s amazing these lads don’t know when to f... offhand bring in fresh people.

I don’t see why the secrecy surrounds the development squads ,a lot of people are interested in fixtures and team set ups but I suppose it could not expose the young players to too much hype maybe. This weekend they got to a few finals so they are more competitive than they were in recent years. I heard last night Michael Fennelly got the U20 job based on a text message from a club up the country thanking him for his services and wishing him all the best in his new job with Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭therealdonster

Why did Galway, Limerick, Clare or Dublin not enter any teams in the Tony Forristal competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Well that’s nonsense to begin with might I point out the example of Dessie Hutchinson who hadn’t picked up a hurl since he was 14 I think and only played underage for his club in Waterford and was an inter county player within 18 months of returning after his soccer career after not playing since u14 along with being outstanding for his club in his first senior club championship a few months after his return. Natural talent is something you never lose and Joyce definately has more of that than the O Halpins who were more reliant on their athleticism than anything else and he probably had more talent underage than his more decorated older brother Kieran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

What happened with the Tony Forristal yesterday ? Kilkenny were disqualified for changing around teams and players. The u16s were very poor by all accounts. Lot of clubs unhappy about the u15 selection process. Some very good players left out, castlecomer unhappy that so many players are from management clubs 10 players from Dicksboro and St Martins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭blackcard

Group B of the league seems to be more or less sorted. Bridge and Boro into league and shield final. OLG and Glenmore 3rd and 4th. Village and Graigue Ballycallan in the relegation playoffs.

Group A more complicated. 2 of Comer, Lisdowney and Mullinavat to be in the relegation play offs, Mullinavat could also end up in the top 2 as could Ballyhale, Tullaroan or Clara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What decides when level on points, scoring difference or head to head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Very hard to know on u15s. All management not doing enough gym work on all squads and coaching poor. No game plans. No puck out strategy poor free takers. Lads that played minor this year not out standing at U16. Really need to shake things up. Club players not impressed by club mentors over squads.

Just get the impression that next year will be more of the same at squads. Desire to win not on the line so hard to transfer this to the team.

If 2 teams are level on points, it's the head to head. Otherwise points difference

I thought Shane Walsh had been playing with a lack of confidence recently, poor touch and decision making. However after a couple of points from play yesterday, he was firing over points from all directions. With his pace, he would be an asset to the county if playing well. Tullaroan are going well.

Huw Lawlor has shown that he is an even better centre back than full back, really dominated yesterday. Could he play there for the county? Conor Delaney, Enda Morrissey or someone else at full back?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

Can you withdraw that personal dig? Totally uncalled for. My impression of his involvement is that he puts in an enormous amount of time and effort into the behind the scenes organising of these squads. Not for the coaching or team selection, that's for others. Obviously a thankless job judging by that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Croke park have made the Tony Forristal tournament be played in two different venues. Galway beat Dublin in the final at the other venue, so both Tipp and Galway won the Tony Forristal yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Grats

Couldn't agree more. You're spot on with regards the work the man in question puts in.

Bull **** a hanger on if ever there was one, Tell me what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

I take if you don't meet Joe stewarding in Nowlan Park on matchdays. Being retired from the Co Council, Joe does all the little checking out on venues chasing etc.that most people with jobs haven't the time to do. He also has a huge standing with national bodies.A very decent man who welcomed me to my first Bord na Nóg meeting 36 years ago.

Such a contradiction, on the one hand calling the man a hanger on and on the other hand asking what he does! Ignorance at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

There must be at least 40 in the U16 panel !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

• Agree regarding Lawlor. Have wanted to see him given a spin at centre back for a while.

Why would you want to move arguably the best full back in the country when we've been a bit of a disaster there since JJ retired especially when any time anyone else has got a go there's been a considerable drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Neewollah

Lawlor has proven to be one of the best full backs in the country in recent years. Been a troublesome position for us for a long time. He's settled there and I wouldn't move him. From what I've seen in club games to date, think David Blanchfield could turn into an excellent long term centre back. Not sure if we have any other obvious options out there

Having watched Lawlor at centre back with his club I'm not convinced he's that comfortable there. Perhaps it's a case of him taking on too much in that position but he invariably gets hooked, blocked, drops the ball or runs into some kind of trouble. His initial play, winning of the ball and positional sense is good but then appears to take it that one step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

Full back is a crucial position in the modern game. He is outstanding there. We badly need a centre back but Lawlor is not the answer, arguably the best inter county full back in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

I think we may leave lawlor at 3 after struggling for a few years. We do need to find a 6. Could delaney slot in here? Lacks pace but hannon or conlan haven't pace. Moylan isn't too bad and Purcell will hopefully get a run next year. It was good to see Harry shine getting a run for the boro last weekend. James bergin was outstanding for his Club last weekend and like Shane Walsh if these 2 lads can get a bit of confidence they will both be an addition.

James Bergin and Conor Delaney might now flourish under new management regime. And there are probably other players in a similar situation out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

No I disagree there. Setanta was a colossal player. Unmarkable at times. Aisake wasn't as good but still had alot of potential. I'd say Joyce would get back to playing hurling at intercounty level. He's already an unbelievable athlete. You could make a role for him to carry ball and release others. He might not ever get his touch back as good as it was but he could do a job. To be honest Kilkenny need him.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

We don't need him for **** sake. You can't go play AFL for 7 years and come back and become an inter county hurler. My memory of him at minor was a good but unspectacular centre back who was physically impressive for his age and looked like a pure leader. He wasn't outstanding by any means and it will be near impossible for him to come back, if he even wants to. Cork have tried this multiple times with Aidan Walsh as a footballer and didn't they have a lad last year that came back from AFL?

Hutchinson was a soccer player and his speed and athleticism in that sport translated to being a corner forward.

There are no similarities between the physicality of an AFL player and a hurler. How is this even being discussed when there is no indication he's even leaving Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

This Joyce talk is nothing but a sign of desperation on behalf of some kk lads!

Advertisement