Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

The difference is that Leicester could play Manchester in the final having lost to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I couldn't agree more... as you say we've been blessed for the the last 20 odd years and no disrespect meant to anyone but we got it all wrong again today and it's getting very frustrating to watch. To keep going route one time after time when it clearly wasn't working was just crazy.

We also knew we had to deal with Cork's running game by cutting it out at the source...press them high up the field but we didn't do that either. The best team won today but I believe that with the right game plan we had the players to win that game and several other games we left behind us.

The Olympic Gold medalist Paul O Donovan said winning the medal wasn't as important as the process... getting the most out of themselves and doing their absolute best, if that led to winning then that would be great but the most disappointing thing would be that they hadn't achieved their potential or that they hadn't given it their best shot.

Our players must feel that disappointment an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

We are a fairly blunt instrument at the moment bit like bringing a hammer to a knife fight.

Think we have problems at 6,8,9,11 and both wing backs wouldn't have been first choice 6 week ago.

Today was the poorest display by our management I have ever seen

Took of donnelly for mossy

Took of mossy for Wally

Put back on mossy

Put back on richie Reid for maher

Put back on donnelly ryan

Hogan got last ten minutes and was going to be a unused sub only for goal to force et

I was in hogan stand and gorta was arguing strongly for richie to be introduced eventually cody through his hands up and gorta shouted at hogan.

Sad way for a legend to be treated.

After the goal cork took a quick puckout and

Deegen won a break and was grabbed around the neck. Ref bottled it and blew final whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

For all the fact that Cork were the better team, Horgan definitely bottled it, Deegan was fouled twice at the end coming out with the ball, a clear free and Horgan blew the final whistle

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭davidx40

Out thought today .....will TJ call it a day ? I think he will ... and Richie , Joey , Cillian and Wally will to

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I wonder is Cody done? If he is I wouldn't be surprised if TJ sticks around for one more year. New coach, new ideas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Only back home now from a long day on the road; 600 km racked up.

Firstly, it was great to be at a match again and to have a crowd at it. Great to have an atmosphere.

Secondly, our lads fought until the end, and beyond, so full credit to them. I know they do it every match, and we come to expect it, but it still deserves to be acknowledged.

Thirdly, well done to Cork. They were the better side for the vast majority of the match, and they should never had let it get to extra time.

And finally... Brian, thanks for the unbelievable memories, but please call it a day. For the good of Kilkenny hurling.

TJ Reid might be the only one who has a choice in the matter with the overhaul likely to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

Absolutely a sad way for Richie to be treated but many many many legends have been treated in the exact same way by same manager.

Treatment of Joey Holden over multiple seasons has been shocking. Joey has been the most consistent defender in Kilkenny club hurling for Ballyhale for the past number of seasons.

A raft of retirements are inevitable in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Correct, what a spot from Pádraig. With seconds left and tiredness etc, it was some pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I'd need to watch that back but I thought he'd blew for a free. Fergal Horgan kept Cork in it with a few soft frees during KK's strong period.

He should have added another 1 min for Cork, I think, made a sub after the 4 mins was announced. With that then, KK should have got the free at the end.

Cork were the better team overall and deserved to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Cork were the better team and good luck to them in the final

2013 championship match against Waterford, match is a draw, referee blows the final whistle as a Kilkenny player is striking the ball over the bar.

2012 AI final, Kilkenny are leading by a point in the last minute, Galway player dives to "win" a free

2014 All Ireland, teams are level in the final minute, referee gives a free to Tipp after Brian Hogan falls to the ground

Today, referee blows final whistle after Kilkenny player is fouled twice

Listen, every team gets critical decisions against them in the final minute, Kilkenny are no different. We were lucky to get a penalty late on against Tipp in 2009 on our way to a 5 point victory.

Just don't tell me that we are not due to have some of these decisions go our way. I think Kilkenny are paying for their success in the last 20 years. Imagine the bile that would be directed against Kilkenny if their fans booed Patrick Horgan every time he took a free

Finally, Kilkenny player shoulders Cork player, free to Cork. Cork player shoulders Kilkenny player, nothing

After all that, the better team undeniably won today p

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Forgot about the booing the **** booing

Had a go at a cork grown man about it .kid beside him and they both at it every free .

I politely asked him did he think it was affecting tj or was he just teaching his child to be a clown aswell.

He stopped . small victory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

As a Cork fan, think we deserved to win today but, yeah, heart was in the mouth with the Deegan incident. Wasn't sure when he blew but bloody relieved either way. That said I thought we were goosed in ET at that stage anyway. It's only now in retrospect you see how crucial that incident could be. But would have been a smash and grab by KK. Think Cork bossed about 60 mins of the 90

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Honestly now I was at the Leinster semi final and I commented afterwards TJ didn’t hurl his best, but after watching it back on the tv he actually hurled very, very well. Now I haven’t rewatched the game today yet so take of that what ye will. First off congrats to cork, from where I was inde cusak stand I was surrounded by absolute gents and the best team won on the day 100%.

its disappointing from our perspective now. Two years in a row our second half has been disappointing. I thought in the first half we hurled very very well but were only 1 pt up to show for it. The movement, and ball into our forwards will be discussed here and rightly so because the difference was crazy (to look at even and even out of the backs: re all our full back line: but the blame can’t lie there ) but even to get to extra time today we were lucky, and credit to Cody and the players. How he installs that believe in them is crazy and look all things being judged fairly TJ should have had a free at the end to win it and the ref bottled it,but at the end of the day in my opinion, tactics won, eventually.

Look positives Mullen and Ryan, in my opinion absolutely came of age today, Ino adrian has done it before but the whole game he setting up scores and driving lads on, and what a goal he got. a lot of talk about Downey( apologies) but billy ryan took him for 0-5. Tommy Walsh showed great character in the second half to respond to the cadogan impact. Maher, walsh, Carey all went decent/alri from what I saw even though they left acres in front of our full back line, surely following instructions from management. I don’t care who you have FB if Horgan got the ball he got today he’d take anybody for 7/8 points, wnatever it was. I’ve never seen a team who have some many very good hurlers but can’t show it. We should have been 5 up at halftime, R.R missed a few very handy ones, Ino I’ve been on about him a lot and hasn’t found much consistency (if any) at senior ( his best game being the second half against cork in 19) but if there was ever a day for Leahy it was today, Browne also a loss, on another day Cody would have scored a goal and Donnolly would have went well. Billy Ryan went down Injured in the second half and I thought it was time for Hogan then. I think TJ will stay on ( how he can only score 0-1 from play and be unplayable is unbelievable, the best I’ve ever seen) but hogan made a difference IMO and what a servant he’s been to us. I’ll re comment after rewatching the game on the tv. Ino A few lads will suggest retirements for a few KK lads and if this is it I’d thank them all for their fantastic service. Just to note P. Walsh went into the forwards today with a few left. We mighn’t be the great team we once were but we will always, always fight to the end and leaving croker today, I was sad of course but also proud. Very similar to the Waterford game a few years ago when fennelly got the pt at the end. From watching the limerick game and being there today I’d fancy limerick barely but this cork side have an extra gear in them compared to the best.

I think calling TJ Reid "unplayable" yesterday is a stretch. He did a few good things but missed a goal chance (not the clearest and I thought he was fouled but no free) and was dispossessed a few times. Overall did okay but far from "unplayable" yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

This is hilarious, you kilkenny folk have very short memories. Maurice Shanahan and Pauric Mahony got dogs abuse in Croke Park and Thurles a few years ago and I don’t ever remember a word being said about it. Joe Canning booed in the All Ireland finals against Kilkenny as well.

A bizarre thing to be crying about when your team has just been beaten again in an All Ireland semi final. The second year in a row the management of Kilkenny has made a total balls up of a game in Croke Park. Cork were the much better team and should have won by 10 in normal time only for a few dodgy decisions by Horgan and Cork panicking a bit with 5 minutes to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Village87

Hard to know what direction Kilkenny hurling is going after yesterdays performance. Cork are heading in a different trajectory to us. Underage success, exiting young hurlers, lovely brand of hurling. While Kilkenny have little underage success and to many older players not performing. Kilkenny could have/do with 8/9 lads walking away. Buckley, Fogarty, Joey, Wally, Richie, TJ, Richie Reid, Blanchfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Col. Blackbeard

What's being discussed here is the booing of a free taker every single time they take a free or 65 and not the booing/jeering of a free taker following a contentious refereeing decision that supporters from all counties, including Waterford, are guilty of from time to time.

you'd see that most posters have acknowledged that Cork were the better team and have questioned the in game decisions of Kilkenny management.

Keep it civil and less of the backseat moderation

Post edited by seligehgit on

Just on your last paragraph, surely someone posting their own alternative opinion is a valid action too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Col. Blackbeard

Of course, but since that opinion seems to be suggesting that certain topics shouldn't be discussed, i provided some alternatives to him

Fair enough, though I didn't interpret it as implying it shouldn't be discussed. I took it as straightforward "whataboutery?".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Cork deserved to win - they had better individual performances - Downey, Horgan, O'Flynn to name a few and played better hurling, moving the ball well up the field and adding some variation, sometimes long, playing it low into the corners a few times and had some real pace up front. KK play more of a battling style, a bit less creative and the way hurling is gone they'll have to change their ways a bit in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Limerick Fans were at the same thing on saturday.

The Final - The great Irish Boo off!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Lads.

Forget about the booing comments. We know ourselves that it's not sports like behaviour. We should all wish both teams the best of luck in the final and we should now get on with the club scene and hopefully the county board and management will look at where we are at in matches and admit we are not going to be successful with the style of play we use. Its fairly straight forward to at least admit its not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Village87

This one man show of Cody ruling the roost over everything in Kilkenny has to stop also. Destroying Kilkenny hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

By choice absolutely. I've never said or felt Cody should go but how and why they could just lump ball over TJ only to have it immediately returned was just maddening. Conor Delaney was an absolute disaster of a decision. The decision, not the player. He was absolutely skinned. That's the kind of thing that can hurt a fellas confidence. Think Henry is the one to take the mantle. The way Ballyhale were able to mix long & short play under him was impressive. After he get Thomastown over the line this year 🤞🏼 I'd love to see him come in. Who knows.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Joey deserves immense credit for not walking away. Been a fan for a long time, speaking up when people were all over him in comments. He's one loyal SOB! Whatever he does I wish him the best. Shame no club Championship last year.

Richie Hogan treated poorly IMO. Some of the substitutions were as mind boggling as sending puckout after puckout into the same 10² meter area when we were winning NONE of them.

I can deal with a loss but it's a lot harder when it seems like your management are your worst enemy. We stopped doing the things that were working for us & reverted to a losing strategy ...not for the first time. nor the 2nd.

Congrats to Cork. Hoping you get over the line so Horgan can get a well deserved Celtic Cross. But as Nicky B. said in a very good post match interview. Sport is not fair nor is it meant to be.

Thought it wrong to not have a replay. Anyway. Looking forward to club hurling anyway. Hopefully they will keep up with the streaming of games now that crowds are back.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭KK36

Huge credit due to the players for giving every last ounce and drop. One thing that is always guaranteed with Kilkenny teams.

We slipped up by not dosing Billy Ryan with lots more ball. He had Downey beaten all ends up. I can't understand all the drooling over how well Downey played, it's being totally overstated. He won a couple of high balls near the end when we were desperately going long but for most of the game he got cleaned. Overall, not a bad year. Won the league and Leinster and drew an All Ireland semi final with a lot of new/establishing players and a new style of play. It's amazing how people want the baby thrown out and all. Sure there are lots of room for improvement, speed, overall fitness and goal getting being three in particular.

On a better note, I was at one of the U13 sessions on Saturday and I have to say there is top class work being done here. Players were being taught the stick passing, support play game and were really learning a lot as the session progressed. One coach running the activities and others giving personal feedback to players on runs to make, choices with the ball etc. Might take a while but we could see benefits in time here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Why do you think there should have been a replay?

Personally I'd prefer to have it over on the day. The conditions are the same for both and they have 6 subs they can make.

Advertisement