Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

The thing is;

If Cork win, it'll be down to them playing week after week and are battle hardened etc.

If the Cats win, it'll be they are fresh and rested etc.

Cork really need to win a big game in Croke Park - will that play on their minds?

Will KK's recent experience of playing in CP be of benefit? It can only but help in my opinion. Small margins and all that.

Key is to stop their front men getting handy possession - ball bouncing in front of them, catching and turning. If on the front foot and running through, they'll be dangerous. Cats need to pack the space in mid-field and defence and limit their goal opportunities.

T.J. and Horgan, on frees, will probably cancel each other out so important not to concede needless/silly frees.

Are Cork a bit il-discliplined - Jack O'Connor and Tim O'Mahony etc. can pick up yellow cards handy enough. Will any referee ever blow up Fitzgibbon for throwing the sliotar?

Hopefully the Cats get goal opportunities...and take them. Need the scoreboard ticking over, outwith T.J.'s frees. A good range of scorers the last day out - but at week-end, points from half-back and the mid-fielders will be crucial.

Looking forward to it immensely - should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Tickets back on sale again got 3 middle of hogan.just now

Waterford game on sale also.

Big weekend hotel next🍻

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So basically they gave the clubs a pile of absolute dogsh1t tickets, and held the best ones in reserve for two days before the match for general sale. You have to love the GAA, they have a knack for making eejits of their members.

(None of that is a knock on you kkboy, fair play and enjoy the match, but the principle of it is pretty bad, same as when they started moving the season ticket holders out to the corners, taking advantage of the fact they know they have those people in the bag anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

Spot on. I managed to get way better tickets online than what I had been offered though my club. Disgraceful carry on by GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

• Advertisement

Honestly I was offered tickets through the club during the week and said I would take the chance and wait for general sale .

I have been that fellow in the corner of the davin for years taking whatever tickets I was given and convincing myself it's great to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

The most satisfying victories in the last 5 years for me were the wins over Cork and Limerick in 2019. We didn't have the better team or better players but the savage workrate throughout the team won those matches. We are going to need similar to have a chance of winning on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

The whole situation is pure money grabbing and a slap in the face to committed and interested members of the clubs who pony up cash up front to purchase a ticket. Makes a mockery of the club ticketing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Would prefer to see Richie Leahy left in reserve. Has always had a better impact off the bench.. And has a tendency to give away lazy, unnecessary frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'm now getting nervous by the amount of confidence there is in the county. I haven't met anyone all week who thinks we'll be bet. This is a fairly unusual occurrence in the last 5 years. Even the most pessimistic lads who would have been worried about our chances during the late noughties for games, are fairly confident we'll do it. I just hope none of this is rubbing off on the players. In fairness no better man than Cody to knock this out of lads. Most think it'll be a tight game and could even go to extra time but that Cork won't handle the pressure we will bring for the full game and that we'll pull away in the end. This is how it should go but we haven't faced a lot of the Cork lads before and maybe they have more hurling and mettle than we're giving them credit for.

Can't wait for the game now.

Also heard Darren Mullen was absolutely flying it in training and was making it impossible for him not to be included as a starter. Did his hamstring and by the sounds of it he might not even feature for Ballyhale this year. He would have been a huge bonus for an AI final if we get there. He's gone now, hopefully he can recover and get his fitness right for next year. He seems a fairly injury prone and I'd fear we might never get to see him play for Kilkenny in Championship unless he gets this right. It will require a huge amount of work from him after he has rehabbed to make sure he has the best chance of preventing these injuries happening again. As far as I know the poor lad has already had two cruciate injuries so he's a hard road ahead of him, it will require constant extra work to make sure the rest of his body is strong enough to compensate/protect the recovered parts. Super reader of the game, is calm in possesion and has great vision for deliveries forward, hope he makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dodgysub

Does anybody have details of the under age championship draws which I think were made last night?

They're tonight at 7

Based on the last couple of times, the team announcemeny tonight should be taken with a grain of salt. Not sure why it is being done, not going to gain any advantage by it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v CK

E Murphy

T Walsh H Lawlor P Deegan

J Maher P Walsh M Carey

C Fogarty R Reid

A Mullen J Donnelly B Ryan

E Cody TJ Reid A Murphy

Subs

D Brennan

J Holden

C Wallace

C Delaney

D Corcoran

C Buckley

M Keoghan

W Walsh

J Bergin

R Hogan

L Blanchfield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brookville

I agree regarding the team selection.Davey spooks cody and its a bit silly naming guys knowing they won't start.With all the tactics and video analysis these days players have a fair idea what there facing.

Its an awful shame about Darren mullen.I heard he was going well and as said above very intelligent and good distribution.These injuries are a major concern 2 cruciates and hamstring.Hopefully he can get a clear run at things next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭robwen

Richie Leahy injured? Would of been good option from the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

Richie leahy dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Maybe it's a terrible generalization but I think lads are either injury prone or not..

Re the team plenty pace in defence..midfield a bit of a worry but fogarty will add a bit of steel..great to see Hogan and Delaney in the subs..I assume Leahy and Browne are injured. I would start mossy instead of one of.murphy or Ryan.. both better suited when the game opens up.. hopefully not too open😃

I've never changed my mind as often coming up to a game..negative me said we beat a poor wexford team and half a poor Dublin team.

Positive me said we have better forwards and defenders than last time we met cork and when pressure comes on them they wont be up for the fight..Anthony daly is right saying it's a deaf dog of a match..fierce hard to call😉

I think that you will see at least 3 forward substitutes coming on. Conor Delaney must be close. Hard to imagine that they may be 1 game away from an All Ireland appearance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Richie reid and fogarty will need to be in 100% to protect our half backing and try to nullify corks running game. As everyone has said it's hard to call but hopefully we have our homework done and we keep things tight defensively and we're on song with our tactics and deliveries/movement. Would expect to see buckley and wally in early enough. Delaney and corcoran could also get game time. Looking forward to this big time.Richie hogan for 3 points if introduced. Worth putting a few pound on it.

I would expect Conor Fogarty to play deep. All our half backs are capable of scoring which is important in these days when the ball travels a mile and scores are in the high twenties

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭davidx40

I'd be very worried by that midfield .....and can't see what Billy Ryan does to keep his place .....

I think Mossy will come in for Ryan with Ryan off the bench then against tired legs. Or maybe that's the plan for Mossy. Imagine playing your 3rd intercounty game in a as many weeks and 50 minutes in ya have that animal coming in on you for the last 20 plaguing you every time the ball is in your half.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

He got a bad cut last week and missed some of the run in.hard luck seems to plague him

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lillielad

Hiya Guys, I have 2 tickets for the lower Cusack tomorrow for sale for face value, something came up if anyone is looking. Can meet before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brookville

I heard cody on the radio today he said browne and leahy hamstring but he said Darren mullens injury is very serious so he will probably miss club action which is a pity

Looking at Limerick tonight we look a good bit away from that level.Its hard to see them being beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Limerick looked very strong this evening but waterfords downfall was that they tried to mix the physicality with Limerick which worked well for 20 mins and I'd say they just ram out of steam. Austin gleeson had some decent goal chances and didn't convert any. Although Limerick ended up with something like 16 wides it was at the crucial first 20 mins when waterford were competing that they had some really poor wides and this allowed Limerick to open the gap. It's probably fair to say that hopefully when we win tomorrow we will have to go to the depths of the trenches to beat Limerick but they would prefer to play Cork than us. Some team though.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny will have to step up a number of levels to beat Cork. If Cork were playing Wexford, they would be at short odds. We drew with Wexford. We beat a covid-19 depleted Dublin team in our other match this year. The prize for the winner is a match against Limerick who are 1/5 to win the AI, the shortest odds since Tipperary beat Antrim in the 1989 AI

Advertisement