Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭robwen

There 1/5 cause there already in the final, that'll change when the other semi is decided

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Fairly quiet in here before the match. Here's hoping for 100% today and more improvement. Hopefully it'll be a cracker and we can get the win

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Richie Reid mightn't make it out for the second half, 3 handy scores driven wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Be no harm to sub the ref also totally riding kk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Why does Eoin Murphy keep driving the ball down the pitch when kk are absolutely getting cleaned out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bamayang

No free on Deegan at the end???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kk.man

Why so much long ball into FF line... Played into corks hands. Why so late to introduced Richie Hogan.... Why persist with some players who are not up to standard ... I just don't understand.

Anyway fair play to Cork especially after so many games on the trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

With the current set up that's our level now unfortunately. Puck out issues raise their head again and plenty of lads there looked like they had nothing in the tank after 50 minutes after chasing so many runs up to that point. We are what we are and the better hurlers and team won.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Couldn't put the ball in the net, should have 3 in the first twenty minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Did the referee blow for full time after Deegan was fouled at the end of normal time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Great game lads. Sorry there had to a loser today. Kilkenny are so hard to beat and put away. 9 lives definitely!

Your goalkeeper was amazing today. Even though I am from Cork, I think these games should have went to a replay.

Hard to see the whole game plan as I was so tense but I wondered why KK let Cork just play it out of the defence. Gave us the platform to get going.

I know its not much help so soon after the game but I thought both teams were amazing. Its only against KK that when Cork are 5 points up in injury time I was still really nervous. That says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Bringing back on lads that had been taken off earlier is some insult to the subs..bringing on Conor Delaney who is entitled to be rusty against a very pacy team was ridiculous

Best team won but killing part is we had loads of goal chances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Fair play white feather... You're spot on re KK giving ye the platform from the back... drove me crazy. The best team won though so congratulations and best of luck in the final.

It was a cracker for sure. Sad to see our lads on the losing side, but the best team won. Best of luck to ye in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny seemed to run out of steam about the 50 minute mark, kept pumping ball into the full forward line with TJ in the half forward line watching the ball sail over his head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

It's surprising Cork won after it went to extra-time and Cork had played three games in three weeks before today. Just shows this tiredness thing is overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

No cork bossed it from 55 mins on, game reminded me of 2016 semi kk completely out played but hung in through sheer stubbornness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

I wasn't surprised. Kilkenny led 0-19 to 0-15 and were outscored 0-14 to 0-7 from then until the end until the goal. They were just hanging on in all honesty and were goosed once extra time came I thought. Showed great spirit to keep it going as well as benefitting from the fact that Cork are not amazing, but it was a rearguard action from about 20 minutes left in normal time for Kilkenny.

Today was more of the same wasn't it. Second half, lump it long and hope for the best whilst our backline gets ripped to shreds with half the pitch for the opposing team to play the ball into. We're gone stale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Fair play to the lads. Gave it everything, just weren't good enough. No shame in the manner of the defeat and without doubt the better team won.

A puck of a ball in it. We had a few uncontested wides early on which is disappointing.

Agree totally with JJ's left hand. Cannot be faulted for effort but it was all very predictable and one dimensional. It's been clear for a while now a new direction/voice is needed. I hope this happens, by choice, for 2022.

This game will bring Cork on a lot too. Ideal preparation for a shot off Limerick from their perspective. Whilst it looks like it's Limericks to lose ... I wouldn't write off the rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

It looked at times cork had more players and the general feeling is we went out on a high today cause Limerick would probably ate us.

I thought we made a few mistakes today and bringing on delaney was one of them.The treatment of Richie Hogan is hard to believe.It took 80 minutes to bring him on.He at least was a bit dangerous and looked sharp.

We desperately need a more coaching because some of the clearances and deliveries were awful

We will have a few more retirements Richie,joey are no longer in the plans.Blanchfield isn't either.Fogarty,Buckley and wally are in and out but I thought Fogarty tried very hard today.

Fair play to cork and hard luck to our lads.Thats as probably as good as we are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Lads battled hard and stayed in the game. In the fhrst 15 mins, should have scored another 3 or 4 points to open up a bigger gap.

Always looked as if Cork were staying in it.

The bench was where it was won - Kingston got 5 or 6 pts when he came in, Dalton got one and others got scored, when introduced. I'll check the total later. KK, iirc, got 1 score from the bench - Richie Hogan. Ironically enough, the bench scored really well V Dublin but not to be today. Cork held all the aces in firepower from the bench.

As I say, lads gave everything and can't be faulted on the day. Worked so hard to close the space down but when the game opened up, Cork had the legs...and the bench.

11 points to 1 off the bench. Kingston got 7. The decision to put Buckley on him was bizarre. Definitely didn't have the legs for him but to be honest I'm not sure who did

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭sportsmaddad

There's no doubt the best team won today. We didn't capitalise on our dominant spell in the 1st half, and I feared that would come back to bite us. Cork tactics eventually came good. I see a lot of criticism of the deliveries to the forward line but in truth Kilkenny forwards weren't getting space to run onto pinpoint clearances. But at the other end Cork were finding oceans of space to play the ball in front of Kingston, O Connor & Co for the last 20 minutes.

Having said all that, there was a definite foul on Deegan after we'd equalised at the death. Can anyone say definitively that the full time whistle came after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭usualstripes

First of all fair play to Cork and the best of luck to them in 2 weeks time.

I'm only going to say this once anyways it at that.

I was behind eoin Murphy in the 2nd half and I have great time for him, probably one of our best keepers in the last 30 years but if he is being coached/ told to land ball after ball into the full forward line then we need a full clear out of management. If he's doing this off his own back then that's a different issue we have with him. I counted 13 puckouts one after another in to the same 10 yard area in their full back line with the same result every time. A catch and/or clearance to start a Cork attack. It was mind blowing stuff. Really hard to fathom. We won't win an all ireland for the foreseeable unless we change our mindset. We took some good scores in the 1st half but we had some dreadful wides also. How did we pick off the scores,? We isolated Billy Ryan and eoin Cody out in the corners, distributed it out wide, they were out 1st, turned and popped it over. Just like Cork did in the 2nd half and extra time.

Can none of our management see this or what's going on?

In fairness to our full back line I thought they did as well as they could have.

Even the half backs did well. But my god what are we playing at with the hit and hope. This year and last year we've won less than 20% of high long balls delivered into our full forward line. That speaks for itself.

I've nothing but the Highest respect for Brian Cody but if you can't coach to your strengths the I'm afraid it's time to call a halt to it. He's been the best we've ever had but now is the time.

Eoin Cody, Billy Ryan, Adrian mullen, James bergin.

These lads want a ball pinged wide into space, control, turn, hand off to support or score.

It's not rocket science but we can't keep doing what we're doing.

Richie hogan not introduced till 2nd half extra time? What's the point here?

Our lads will always be thereabouts and will always have never say die attitude under brian but cuteness of play will bring it of further.

I'm sure there will be a lot of pondering from now on and I know the understanding was/is its Cody's for as long as he wants but nows the time brian.

Its been wonderful and we've been totally blessed for the last 20 years. We've had an unbelievable time that we will never forget.

There are a few options that might surface over the next few months including if thomastown win the intermediate amongst others but a new clear path is hopefully coming.

I hope I don't come across as being too disrespectful to the current management team and yes we don't have the panel we used to have but we can certainly get more from the lads.

This is just my opinion. Maybe I'm over reacting but it's what I believe.

Just re the balls into the forwards, you have to admire Pádraig Walsh's ball in that led to the goal at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

A lot of people feel like you do to night you are not over reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

Great Post above for all the great saves eoin made today its baffling and the worst thing is this went on in the previous two matches.

A blind man could see this. I don't know what we're doing with guys analysing if they can't see this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 King Power Fox

Couple of things today. Ye should have had a free in at the end of normal time - half back got the ball and there was 2 Cork lads hanging off him. Would take a brave ref to give a free. Easy option to blow up. What if a Cork forward caught it and got a shot for a point. Would he have blown mid air.

TJ couldn't make the ball stick today.

Couple of half goal chances went a begging.

Kilkenny forwards didn't win enough of the long 50/50 balls in.

I am from Limerick and dread the thought of playing them again. In a Cup competition which is what Championship effectively is you should not play a team you have already beaten. Imagine Leicester having to beat Man Utd in the FA Cup Final after beating them in the 3rd round.

Best of luck next year. Ye will never be far away.

Advertisement