Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Did mossey come on at half time. Get taken off after 60 minutes and brought back on for the start of extra time? All before Richie hogan got brought on and while liam blanch sat on the bench..

I'd like to know the reasoning behind that decision. Smacks of panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I think we can choose better than Cahill but it was the effect he had where he raised a team which would have been considered the lowest team in the championship to the second team last year and 3-4 this year. That's fair going in fairness to him like his style or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

What players would people recommend keeping an eye on in the upcoming club scene that could potentially make the step up next year that weren't in the 26 last weekend?

Any players out there with raw pace that could be looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

And Kilkenny got their arses handed to them by that Waterford team😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

Given the talk about puck-out strategy I did a count of our long puck-outs to see how much primary possession we won. In the 70 minutes we went to the Cork half back line or beyond 26 times on my count. We gained first possession 9 times. Murphy also went as far as the middle with 2 that resulted in KK points. In the first half we went long 11 times and won 6. We collapsed in the second half. Of the 15 that went long we only won 3. TJ`s first half goal chance came directly from a long puck out. So did Mullens failed goal attempt in the second half although here we overturned after initially losing the puck-out.

Cork went short (inside their own 45) 21 times. They managed to work those possessions beyond our 45 only five times. But they also converted two frees won further out. They went to midfield with puck-outs 4 times. We won 2 of those. One of them resulted in Eoin Cody`s goal chance in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Any All-Stars for KK this year?

Would assume Eoin Murphy is the only serious candidate but our puckout strategy might preclude him.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonniegoogle

I think Cahill has done an excellent job with Waterford. I think both he and McGrath brought numbers back and developed a running game mainly because of a lack of good defenders. Fanning tried a more orthodox style, look at the results under him and tell me they're not better off under Cahill.I would rate the Cahill /Bevans combination very,very highly and way above Kilkenny's set up. I would think KK would improve a lot under him and tactically we would improve hugely, which is what we need imo.

Who would you choose in the ideal world?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

Henry for me. I know Eddie Brennan did well with Laois ,not so good with the u21's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Eddie all day for me. When he talks, for me anyway, he inspires far more confidence than the other candidates and as seen with Laois and bringing in Niall Corcoran he understands the importance of a coach.

• Advertisement

I think I said Cahills achievement of raising that Waterford team to where they are now as impressive. I think Cahill and Fanning actually had a very similar style of play. If you look at the early league games that Fanning was in charge off they were going for goal a lot. I think the issue there was the players were still in love with Derek McGrath and they eventually lost confidence in Fannings game plan and the whole thing stopped work. Cahill wanted to avoid that, so walked in and kicked out two major figures to lay down the law before he even met a player. They now have ended up playing a very similar game to what I saw from Waterford under Fanning.

Personally I think Henry would have huge respect from any of the players young or old. I think however the set up is as important, I think a key is a guy like Richie O'Neill as part of the selector panel. From what I've heard Richie is very good tactically and is excellent at reading the situation on the field, he's highly thought of by any players he's worked with. I think someone like Peter Barry for his ability to inspire and drive on young players. I'm sure there are others people would prefer but I think a ticket like that could do a good job.

Andy Gaffney for the Boro, would expect him to have a big year if he can stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭davidx40

Would Henry take it on ...I'm not so sure .....does he see a chance of an Ireland in next 7/8 years ...I doubt it very very much ...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I always liked the look of Conor Doheny of the Boro too, very smart hurler, could he do a job for us at midfield?

Would think maybe the likes of Eoin O’Shea and Aidan Nolan might get a bit more game time in the league next year.

Conor would be more similar to Darren Mullen would probably prefer him in cornerback or on the wings, he's combative too and rarely gets caught out. Very smart like you say reads the game great and delivers nice forward friendly ball. He's been cursed with injury for the last few years since he played U21. Definitely has what it takes but would need S&C to get to that level.

Eoin O'Shea and Aidan were both part of the panel this year as far as I know. Don't know much about Eoin other than seeing him underage and for OLG but is a strong lad with plenty of running. Heard Aidan was going well in with the county from a non-Boro county player who was a little surprised he wasn't making the bench but then again neither of these guys are Cody type players, they do too much running. Aidan should be going well for the Boro when he gets back hopefully he can stay injury free this year was very unlucky with a punctured lung in the county Semi Final last year. Looking forward to the club games this year.

I would definitely think Henry see's us of being able to win an All Ireland in the next 7-8 years if there is change at the top. I would say that any of the theoretical managerial candidates would feel there's more in this group than we're getting out of them.

On a separate topic, since when were Kilkenny people ever worried about facing any county in an All Ireland final? Why are people saying their happy we were bet as we're better off not playing Limerick in a final? We used to be happy to go in as underdogs and back our ability to cause a dominant team trouble and get over the line. I'm talking pre Cody days here too. Kilkenny people would have always been confident/hopeful in our ability to get past any team. Why has that changed? I think I know the answer but I'd be interested in peoples thoughts. There're a lot of things I would consider to be very unKilkenny like happening and being said in the last few years.

Anyway this is all pie in the sky stuff until he goes which as I've said before is very unlikely anytime soon.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Would Aidan be one you could convert in to a modern day attacking half back? He has pace, good in the air, able to take a score, if memory serves me right I think he played at wing back at U-21 and when Boro won the county final a few years back.

Yeah definitely is strong enough for wing back but it's not an area the Boro need cover in so he was sent up to bolster the forwards. It was a great call by our last management team and he's definitely better going forward, while good at the back he tended to get caught for silly fouls. He has a big stride and when he gets going he is rarely caught. He has a good eye for goal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Brining on C Delany was not a great idea either he was not prepared for that first game in a year not fair on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Comerman

He had been out with injury for months while Joey was training, bizarre decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Interesting article in the examiner today about corks underage system the last few years: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40356899.html

Particularly interesting quote that should make us all take notice:

A decision was taken not to enter Cork in the annual U14 Tony Forristal tournament as it was felt U14 was too early an age to narrow the number of development squad players to 48. Instead, eight U14 regional teams were established. At U15, two “even” Cork panels are now put together each year. “Results at that level isn’t the priority, it is about identifying talent, getting the right mindset into players, them understanding what it is going to take to be an inter-county player, and making them tactically aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Village87

The actions on the sideline was a disgrace, taking off 3 players for playing poorly and bringing them back on before one of the greatest forwards ever to wear a Kilkenny jersey waits on the sideline. The 3 players brought back on would not tie Richie's shoe laces today even at 33. How do you put Conor Delaney on O'Connor and leave him on him. What was Cody trying to achieve, that he is right and everyone else is wrong ?(assuming it is Cody who makes these calls). Even the presence of Cody on the sideline stinks of old school. He has a mask, a cap, skins on in the middle of summer standing on his own. Compared to Kingston and any opposition, full of energy, looking for feedback and analysis of where things are going wrong etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭usualstripes

If the impression is that Kilkenny would be worried about facing Limerick in an all Ireland final then we are indeed in trouble. I don't think the team itself would fear anyone but there is a perception out there that due to the lack of underage success in the last 10 years that we cannot compete with the limericks of today. I couldn't disagree more. Of course winning underage all Irelands consistently gives you an edge and having more quality in your side but tactical ineptness hits a heavier blow to your chances. Our 6 backs defensively hurled well against cork but they were being barraged in the 2nd half and extra time by a team that worked to its strengths. Im probably sounding like a broken record here but when something is evidently not working you have to try something else and that something else is what was bringing us some success in the 1st half.

The game has changed utterly in the last 10 years and we either go with it or lose out. But delivering proper ball to our forwards into space is not something that's new but its something we have to start doing on a more consistent basis. Otherwise we wont be winning any all Irelands for the next few year's. In saying that if we had gotten past cork last Sunday i would have no fear of the lads coming up against limerick and dare i say it Limerick are happier to be facing cork than ourselves.

Maybe Im whistling Dixie here but i firmly believe with some tactical nous we are a close match for anyone. A little cuteness and we are up there.

But surely people are negative because we're not showing that cuteness or tactical nous. I wanted to win on Sunday and the optimistic part of me thought we'd give Limerick a rattle and could win. But objectively speaking anyone who has watched Kilkenny over the last 5 years couldn't possibly go into any game against a Munster team with complete confidence other than knowing we are capable of putting together a one off performance to beat them. We haven't shown any consistentcy in performance in years now.

My point is that yes people are negative because we are not showing this but there is also a negativity out there because people believe we are not going to win an all Ireland because we haven't won in the last number of years at underage level.

I don't think underage success is an exact pointer for senior success although it does help greatly but we have good enough hurlers at senior level to be getting better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Some excellent debate and points being made on here post the Cork defeat. I do think it's time for Cody to do before his legacy is tarnished. Kilkenny had some success with both long and short balls early on mainly because they were mixing it up. Also they weren't able to sustain the press on the Cork puck out. The main problem with going long in the second half was that every ball was long. Going forward I think there is more than enough talent in the county for Kilkenny to be competitive but we need to be more tactically aware and also our strength and conditioning is not up to scratch.

I agree with almost all of that except that Limerick are happier facing Cork, I don't think their happier to face Cork it's always harder to play the same team twice in a year. I still expect Limerick to win if they're in their semi final form. The truth is that Limerick team are dying to meet Kilkenny and particularly in an All Ireland final to right the injustice they believe the 2019 semi was. That's by the by really but I do agree I think we were probably the team best placed to give them a real rattle but after the display on Sunday I would doubt that our setup this year could have delivered the type of performance needed.

I couldn't agree more that we could be challenging again with a game plan that is driven into the players by ALL the management and a bit of tactical nous from the side line that's implemented and practiced. The players have to know that when the pressure comes on it's ok to stick with the game plan. I don't think and Kilkenny player truly believed that Cody wouldn't drop them if they stuck to the game plan and it went wrong for them. So when Cork made some changes and brought more pressure we resorted to basically clear your own area and let someone else worry about the ball. We played like individuals against a team.

I would like to think that we would all be genuine Kilkenny supporters and many of us would or have been involved in training club teams for many years and have only the best interests of the county team at heart. To progress any further we would respectfully hope that the county board would thrash these or similar topics out with our current managerial setup but Im not sure that this will happen as a collective discussion. I don't know what will happen over the next few months but i would hope that the county board look at this objectively and if there is a consensus among management that we have to change tactics then fair enough but if there is not well then the county board have a major decision to make and as i said this is with the greatest respect to the greatest manager of all time.

• Advertisement

Any sign of the minor team for tomorrow? I know it was named last night but hasn't been posted on the website

Advertisement