Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

What NATO expansion?

Would this be democratic countries choosing to form a free association because of the lunatics to their east? Because that's not expansion. That's common sense. Ukraine's mistake was not joining NATO 15 years ago when the Russian army was even weaker than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Deplyoment map with battalion and units updated frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes they are right because the churches are now independent. The Ukrainian Orthodox church split from the Russian Orthodox church, they have different leaders now but the religion is still the same. Similarly, the rest of Orthodox churches (Romanian, Bulgarian, Greek etc) are all independent but they still represent the same religion.

IMHO it's ok to clarify this here as it's relevant to the cultural aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This has been a Ross and Rachel thing since the war began.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

In over 30 years of watching the EU, sometimes in exasperation, sometimes in awe, this is without question the most unified, the most determined and yes, the fastest-acting we have ever seen. By a distance.

We're lucky enough to live inside the greatest supranational organisation ever. That doesn't mean it, and its members, are immune from criticism! But we should also appreciate what we've built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wandererz

Hey gormdubhgorm,

Have you heard about this Irish guy called David McSavage. Have you heard what he's doing lately??

Now... pick up your bonnet and go get another bee in it.

Oh, and the Ukraine thread is that away.

Post edited by wandererz on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Attack nato , lushenko wouldn't last 24 hours if he tried ,

But in saying that the Russians sent public order units to help quell any protests in Belarus ,it's possible

'Russia still has many countries support'.

Do you have the list to hand (ironically you could use the fingers of a single hand to count them) of the countries that voted against the UN Resolution condemning the Russian invasion?

Iran, North Korea, Eritrea and Myanmar. There's your 'support'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It is just another one already removed from thread popping back up to dispense some more wisdom.

I don't know, should one rat them out (!) or ignore it?

• Advertisement

Can you imagine the Belarus officers getting the orders to attack NATO. Talk about the messenger getting shot... There would be instant revolt. I doubt they'd persuade them to attack Western backed Ukraine, never mind NATO proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's a misleading tweet. The main route to Western Ukraine from Belarus heads towards Brest on the Polish border before turning south towards Ukraine. Any Belarussian troops going to the Ukrainian border will for a while be heading in the direction of Poland.

Lukashenko has no chance of getting far enough into Western Ukraine to disrupt supply lines. This I suspect is Putin's exit strategy. Force Lukashenko to invade and have a domestic rebellion. Russian peacekeepers arrive to secure Belarus. White Rus rejoins the greater Rus, win for Pooty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Ukraine have allready reinforced their border with Belarus in the west,since they expected an attack to come from that direction from the beginning of the invasion.

And being so close to Poland means shorter supply lines for Ukraine as well,so if Belarus are on a suicide mission,go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Might I say

This is comedy gold Mick, and your still miffed no doubt Bono wouldn't come down and open your new stadium down in Wexford town.

Give her a rest will ya. The nato speel has been thoroughly debunked many many times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

I wouldnt be surprised the blackhawk below did some kind of medivac from Ukraine. Transponder only switched on during the way back and landed at a Rzeszow Hospital before continuing on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Lukey [Lukashenko] has looked nervy from day one of Putin's invasion of Ukraine. If he did order any such military action it would be after some major shove from Russia. What's more, I bet plenty in Belarus would support Ukraine before Putin's Russia. Any such action from Lukey would be a death warrant for his own career. I could see him doing a runner to a safe haven. Poland alone could crush Belarus in a jiffy.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Mike3549

What russian peacekeepers? From where? Dombas? Moscow? Will they finally send their 'A' team?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop the Bono/U2 talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,388 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Belarussian opposition leaders say such a move would be hugely risky for Lukashenko. There is a lot of opposition to the war in the country and most people there have no particular quarrel with Ukraine or Ukrainian people.

True, desperate times and all that. He and others are very right about reliance on the US, but the overall European reaction is alot better and faster today for all the flaws than I think the reaction was to what was happening in Yugoslavia (admittedly, that was not as serious).

The biggest dependency is on USAs giant military (one of the few times in my life it is the "arsenal of democracy") and their willingness to get engaged in these events going on in Europe (thank f-ck it hadn't died a death completely yet when this happened). However much some want to laud the actions of the UK, they can't help Ukraine here much more than the EU members. While they haven't let the military decay the way Germany has, they're no US.

Some on here can completely dismiss helping Ukraine with their refugees, economic aid and non military aid as basically worthless and unimportant if they like + focus on the weapons, but don't think they are right there.

To try to contextualise the speed and scale of the change, the EU has turned into a superpower, almost overnight.

Power doesn't just exist in the hard variety either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Duke 50 has been flying to and from the same areas since the start of the war ,

Cutting Russian oil/gas is happening - fast. At least recognise that reality in a universe where energy policy takes decades to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Belarus to deploy special operation forces on the border with Ukraine - General staff of Belarus

is Belarus about to enter the fray?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Well we've done this to death and I just don't agree it is as easy as you say to stop everything now. You moved away from calling for an immediate cutoff of trade before, but you are back to it now saying x amount going "to Putin" each day the oil & gas trade carries on etc.

That is not a gift to Russia either. They get money, Europe gets energy. I hope it will end soon. I think it is impossible also to have EU embargo if one country will not agree to it & I don't think Hungary/Orbán ever will, but people don't seem to like to talk about them as much as (Bad) Germany here.

Am not an expert on EU procedures, but (being pessimistic) I feel the only way Hungary can be got around here is if their voting rights can be suspended by all the other members (incl. Poland) turning on them (here's hoping!).

edit: Again I just see no evidence that an embargo will stop the war immediately (but it may end it faster I admit). I think Putin may already be taking Soviet weapons from their stockpiles when Russia is running short of more modern stuff. While they may be outmatched by more modern and better Western weapons, they can still kill people and wreck cities. Putin can print money to pay his soldiers and if they don't like the fact the rouble doesn't buy them much any more, they can lump it (or be sent to jail perhaps).

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Recent increase in shipments could make a big difference for the Ukraine army including U.S. M777 Howitzers, P2000 Haubitze self propelled Howitzers (NL,Germany), Caesar self propelled Howitzers (France), Gepard self-propelled anti-aircraft (Germany), T72 tanks (Slowakia), Switchblade Kaimikaze drones (U.S.), Starstreak laser anti-tank (UK), NLaw anti-tank (UK), Bayraktar TB2 drones (Turkey), plus ammo and supporting new radar jamming kit.

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Sorry, would not go that far (the EU as "superpower") but it (the institution itself) is doing quite well with the tools it has available and limitations it works under (like veto powers, and need for full consensus on the issues outside its competencies) alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Belarus looking to tie up more Ukrainian troops at their border or worse

From the Guardian:

Lukashenko warns Belarus can ‘inflict unacceptable damage’ as special troops deployed to border near Ukraine

Belarus will deploy special operations troops in three areas near its southern border with Ukraine in response to a “growing threat” by the US and its allies, the armed forces said, as the Belarusian president, Alexander Lukashenko, said Moscow had agreed to help Minsk produce missiles.

Belarusian chief of general staff, Viktor Gulevich, said:

The United States and its allies continue to build up their military presence on the state borders of Belarus. The strength of this force has more than doubled in the last six months.

He said the build-up of military presence by Western allies “testifies to a growing threat to the Republic of Belarus”, adding that Belarus is also deploying air defence, artillery and missile units for drills in the west.

The announcement comes after Lukashenko earlier today said Moscow had agreed to help Minsk produce missiles to beef up its military capabilities.

Speaking at a meeting of defence officials, Lukashenko was quoted by the state-run news agency, Belta, as saying that events in Ukraine had demonstrated the importance of having troops with modern, highly effective weapons and supplies.

Lukashenko said he won the support of the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, for people involved in missile production in Russia to take a look at Belarus’ developments in that area.

He said the Belarusian army is combat-ready and will be able to “inflict unacceptable damage on the enemy” in case of external aggression, adding:

We are realists, we understand that we will not be able to defeat Nato. However, we have all the weapons to do damage, especially to the territories from which we will be attacked.

The Belarusian president said he was “not hinting at anything, but I want everyone to understand the range of the weapons we have”.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement