Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭paul71

There it is!!

The whataboutery is revealed!

NATO this , Afgan this, USA bad.

Cop yourself on.

You might wanna scroll back on this thread to get the answers you are looking for regarding your whataboutism and geopolitical views

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Plenty of Russian tanks destroyed. But those they capture are easily repurposed at very little cost... just a few paint brush strokes really.

After all, Putin does say he's fighting Nato. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is not whataboutery it is simple historical fact. If you don't want to see how all roads lead to this caused by Putin's stupidity and America's duplicity. And Germany's nativity. Fair enough. But that is what has happened. Yet you dismiss it as whataboutery. The last vestige of the ignorant.

What Bono is doing is embarrassing. And you seem to somehow imply if I say so, I am for war and so on. People really need to learn to stand back and view the whole vista. If you are duped by Bono you are already susceptible to PR or whatever you wish to call it. It is extremely odd as if you are fighting your own proxy war online. I deal with facts not semantics or PR games from either side.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Not to mention Putins kindness og giving NATOs intelligence access to russian jamming equipment,radars,air defences,newest helicopters,tanks,fighters,missiles etc.Its really a goldmine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's only embarrassing to a few irish gobshites

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Did you perchance go to the same school as Bono?

Only him beating you up when you were kids seems about the only plausible explanation for your 'Bono bashing' fixation about him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭20silkcut

After declaring war on Germany in 1939 both Britain and France were loath to upset the Germans too much. The RAF refused to bomb German factories in 1939/40 because they were German private property. They dropped leaflets on Germany instead asking them to stop the war. Britain did not lift a finger to help Poland after they were invaded despite guaranteeing their independence. France crossed the German border and quickly went back again. Both countries were behaving very similar to Germany and France today and were hoping the whole thing would blow over. This current period has many parallels with that 1939/40 phoney war denial stage.

`if you can't see how bad it looks fair enough. If it does good fair enough. But I think there are far better ways Bono could help Ukraine if he wanted to rather than that Pantomime stuff. And Bono clapping when the soldier praised Boris J, Yet Boris sending refugees to Rwanda! Come on. You are implying that I am some teenage girl who is just saying 'cringe' at silly Bono effort. My problem is the broader issues as well. Boris is only using Ukraine to distract from his own political issues. Macron is fairly toothless. Germany is hamstrung because its dependence on Russian Oil.

Meanwhile Russia is STILL getting billions for Russian Oil. Plus is supported by China. And here we have Bono wheeled out saying 'Stand by Ukraine'. It is all lipservice stuff. And it is lipervice that led to this situation in the first place. Zellensky would have assumed he would have got real help from America. He has only received limited help. Ukraine are being hung out to dry in other countries games. Only these games cost lives. But it is grand Bono is here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

The EU is more united than ever. And that's all down to Ukraine. Don't allow the posturing by one small rogue-ish state to overlook that fact.

By the standards of normal EU politics, we've been moving at warp speed since February.

• Advertisement

Carl Gustav sends his regards from Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Having state channels, with a proper mandate is great. RTE will never please everyone. I remember during the abortion debate they had Graham Linehan and his wife on to discuss how they had to travel to the UK for a termination after her pregnancy was diagnosed with a fatal foetal abnormality. They got sanctioned because they didn't have a prolife person on to disagree with them. I was pissed off with that decision. But it's far better than having private companies who can say whatever they want without repercussions. And private enterprises can be swayed by advertisers. They might not criticise a company because the financial hit is not worth it.

I think there's a place for both private and state media and I wouldn't get rid of either.

I have already explained why it is embarrassing in numerous posts. The whole clip from a visual standpoint, musically and politically.

You are correct about the EU being tragic. That was mainly Merkel's fault. Now the main county in the EU and one of the main countries in NATO is over a barrel, Dependent on Russian Oil and even planned to be more dependent on their gas.

How can some clown take a thread discussing significant slaughter of humans and barbarous acts and steer it into a conversation about a pop star... and his personal embarrassment 🤷‍♂️

If you think that you should read what I said. Rather than come to odd hypothetical solutions. The Bono thing is just symptomatic of the broader problem of the greater pantomime played out around Russia\Ukraine. On both sides plus it was telling what the soldier said at the end. Basically thanking the UK/France for symbolism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

They'll be 100% off Russian oil by the end of the year. That is a massive shift in energy policy, in a very short space of time.

Gas will take longer given the need for exporters to invest in additional liquification capacity and importers (like Germany) to invest in regasification. This doesn't happen overnight - people who think this is in anyway possible are engaging in simplification and wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The US and UK were sending military support long before the invasion.

If they hadn't been helping Ukraine with weapons and training and intelligence it could all have been over before the EU woke up.

This is from January:

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-to-supply-ukraine-with-self-defence-weapons-as-fears-grow-over-possible-russia-invasion-12518664

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I realise this but, this situation was not created overnight in the first place either. There has been some really poor political decisions from many of the big world players which has led to situation. Now we have a weak NATO, weak EU, a Russia which Putin has a massive stranglehold over. An America who watches from a distance and helped the Ukraine think they would support them properly.

And a world divided because Russia still has many countries support. Such as Russia and China. Words mean nothing only real practical actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't understand the facts then. Who flagpoled the invasion? Was it France or was macron too busy sitting at the bold boys end of a long table? Who provides the intelligence. Who has provided vastly more military aid and the logistics to deliver it? Who originally was opposed to nordstream 2 and warned about it's use as leverage by the Russians? Who is by far the greatest funder of NATO. Why does Germany have such low spending on defense? Could it be the massive us bases stationed there? The fact is that if the Americans weren't involved the Donbas and the southern Ukraine coast would probably already be lost. If France and Germany didn't exist , the difference to Ukraine would be negligible,in fact it might even be in their favour. The Americans have been propping up Europe for years, I'm not American and I can see it. My point about France post WW2 was not some grudge, it just highlights some of the priorities for the French, where style or appearance is more important than substance or action.

I'd cringe seeing Bono pay for something in a shop or throwing a ball. That's the effect he has on me. But if he's gonna try and do good then I'm all for it. Let's hope it's not like that other charity they were involved in that paid about 1% out and spent more on goody bags for celebs.

As for Serbia, Jesus Christ. If this outcome with the Russians and the election in the Philippines and the **** in Hong Kong doesn't show that we're in a battle over more than left/right politics then I don't know what will. Russia is a country which builds its past upon lies and millions of dead bodies. In Hong Kong the past is being written over. In the Philippines (not sure what kind of TV coverage it's getting) I'm sure quite a few older people will recognise the name, yeah, it's the son.

It's like in The Sopranos (spoiler ahead) when there's a therapist who brings up the fact that sociopaths may not benefit from therapy except to use it to become better as in more efficient and better at justifying things but not address their actual issues. These **** are jingoistic to a laughable degree based on lies and bullshit and absolutely. Never. Admit. Anything. These are not the kinds of people we should be maintaining friendly relationships with. It's a deep cultural and psychological thing. If you've the choice between a slightly longer walk or being confronted by a mugger, most will choose the slightly longer walk. Best case scenario with the mugger is you win a fight. Unless it's in an advert in which case you can probably reason him down. Which still isn't any better for the good guy because that's time out of his day. We've tried treating Russia in a way that gave them free rein domestically and just kind of hope that they'll come around to "our" way because it's the right way. I personally believe on balance it is but hey, **** those guys. When dealing with thugs nicely the best way it can work out will be that they'll do very well out of it and others will see it as a way to get what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Well, the important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to Bono, Zelenskyy and all the western leaders by doing nothing but moaning on the internet that all the sanctions, military aid and humanitarian help that has been put in place are merely "lip service".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Ukrainian orthodox Church has split from the Russian orthodox Church for a good while now.

It's insulting to them to be seen as the Same religion.

Ukrainian orthodox Church would actually have closer links to the roman catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

Those rubles don't earn themselves right?

It's very easy to stop the deaths: feking end the war and go back home to enjoy those washing machines and some dog steak.

In this case I think he was relying on some good auld begrudgery and was expecting support for his decision.

He's embarrassed, worried about his pride. But the sweetest thing will be Ukrainian victory, because the Ukrainians have the desire. And while the Russians are running to stand still, the Ukrainians will walk on. Putin will continue with his BS mysterious ways and his war, but magnificent Ukraine will get it's beautiful day, hopefully long before this coming New Year's day. I'm not betting on mad bad Vlad being able to stay as the head of Russia for long, and that will be even better than the real thing because most of us here have no ordinary love for Ukraine, until the end of the world. Most of the world is behind Ukraine, because sometimes you cannot make it on your own. I've no sympathy for Putin, but even he must be sorry he started this and he must be thinking he's stuck in the moment you cant get out of. He must be suffering from vertigo at this stage things have spun so far out of his control. While Putin turned Mariupol into a city of blinding lights, where the streets have no names there will be a final sunday bloody sunday, Ukrainians will rejoice and I will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Ok, Ok, Ok, the Bono bit is now old news, can we move along now to normal services.

Putin is looking for an exit plan. Any ideas posters.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm from the same religious background, you can't be further from the truth. It is the same religion, of course there will be differences from church to church because, unlike the Catholic church, the Orthodox churches don't have a central leadership, they are all independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yeah, I've always found "Buh ar nootrality" to be a **** pathetic shield. I can't think of any/many conflicts we should have jumped into but the way it's treated like some Americans go on about their fuckin guns right like it is and should be some inalienable thing written in stone, ugh. Maybe a chat for different day.

I sometimes wonder if the fatalism in Russia is deeper into Europe than I'd realised. Brits and Yanks could have easily left Europe to it in WWII. Get some big guarantees on colonies and the like (maybe Britain could have gotten some nice French islands around the place) and well, **** 'em. Not a whole lot of natural resources in Europe. But they didn't. They actually did the right thing. There were plenty of other considerations but when strategising I'm going to guess that that they started from the position of winning rather than negotiating a settlement. Now we're seeing again when there's an actual threat, just think back to the start when the yanks and Brits thought it'd be over quickly, the Europeans lads basically had their "We're not happy about this but I suppose Ukraine is under Russian control" speeches ready. They just want stability, don't rock the boat, give him what he wants. Oh, we're going to do sanctions that'll mean they'll have to go through an extra step to get paid, ohh, hardcore! It's kinda ironic, the anti-globalists should be loving that the media have shaped this the way they have, cutting trade ties, stopping international travel and migration, they love that ****. :P

But yeah, the EU is great most of the time and yeah, they thought they had themselves covered. Still, months in, they still seem to be looking for a sensible political solution to something that is in no way sensible and resembles politics of the past. And the western Europeans seem to think it's fine for the most part. I've got all kinds of issues with the yanks and Brits but honestly I doubt anyone here would be better off with a different superpower in our lifetimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I Don't doubt you ,

But my Ukrainian neighbours have stated to me they are not associated or linked to the Russian orthodox Church.

That they are Ukrainian orthodox.

Anyways religion that's for a different thread 👍

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement