Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Have you missed the Chechen lads hitting the street signs and trees?

When was that with Hitler? They let him do what he wanted until they had no choice but to step in. And honestly, as much as people might scoff, the Brits could have easily let much of Europe fall, call it Realpolitik. :P But yeah, Hitler wasn't "cornered", he had a plan and the fools let him carry it out. Few things go another way after that, couple of different decisions made and the world would be a very, very different place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think it is the silliest thing Bono\U2 have done since he wrote that awful Ronnie Drew tribute song. Well intentioned. but awful.

Now he is singing with soldiers and allowing himself to be used a propaganda tool. It does not sit right with me. I am all for helping refugees and so on. But for a world famous musician (from a neutral country) to allow himself to be used as a propaganda tool, seems really off.

Also if that is not bad enough the soldier singing with Bono thanked 'the people of the United Kingdom for their support' @13:02! Does he think that includes Ireland? Because the UK has taken in much less refugees than Ireland at the time of writing.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Hitler wasn't nuclear armed, he was also engaged in active total war against Europe. I can understand why Europe, in this situation, needs to leave a door slightly open, even the Ukrainians have to do that.

Do you not think it is embarrassing? Being used as a propaganda tool? And the Russian soldier thanking the people of the UK soon after along with Boris! You can't make it up. And Boris using Ukraine to distract from his political problems. Not helping really. Meanwhile the Irish people get no mention!

It is not the first time Bono has let himself be used as a propaganda tool. Dubious African leaders etc.

And now he is going off to Ukraine - Making a cringeworthy change to the 'stand by me' lyrics changed to 'stand by Ukraine'. An embarrassment on many levels. Great singer but the fella can be an embarrassment.

• Advertisement

How are they helping the situation? I have Ukrainian refugees looked after. Bono has a big gaff in Dalkey plenty of room.

But is making an eejit of himself over in Ukraine for propaganda purposes. Ukrainian soldier seems to think Ireland is in the UK.....

As for the danger the event was not announced it was in Kiev and can you imagine the amount of security? The main fighting is now not in Kiev now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I remember Elton John changed the lyrics to candle in the wind in tribute to Princess Diana and it was received quite well.

I will happily see Boris elected again if it means less Ukrainians murderered and raped.

Feeling is embarrassed is quite the luxury when there is a genocide going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Another pr stunt, back in the office in Berlin and Paris the work goes on to limit sanctions on Russia, limit arms to Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

All the Ukrainians are loving Britain and Johnson because of the sheer volume of weaponry, the best of it, that Britain have given.

The Anti tank weapons they delivered just before the war look like they enabled the Ukraine to stall the Russian invasion.

It was a game changer at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fortunately, the US and Biden are calling all the shots - they are arming Ukraine to the hilt, even if Macron and Scholz are lukewarm about it.

• Advertisement

There are wars on in the world all the time. By your logic I should never feel embarrassed ever. Or is it only the wars you are aware about that you suddenly care about?

Wars did not just start when Putin invaded. What Elton John did was cringeworthy as well. But at least he knew the woman.

Boris has no sincerity and Bono is naive. Remember Boris wants to send refugees to Rwanda and only let in ones from Ukraine that have family connections to the UK.

If you buy into that Bono is helping the Ukraine you have fallen for it. It is superficial silliness at best and propaganda at worst.

Having pondered your post long and hard, my considered response is... Get over yourself. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

From Business Insider/Politico

"Russian soldiers killed a Ukrainian army volunteer on the outskirts of Kyiv and left his dead body in his car trunk fitted with a mine that later exploded when Ukrainian forces attempted to move him, according to Politico.

Lyudmyla Kyrpach, the soldier's widow, told Politico that she and her husband Oleksandr "did everything together."

Kyrpach told the outlet that the day after the invasion began in late February, Oleksandr, a mechanic, organized volunteer fighters in his village of Kalynivka, near Kyiv.

By March 1, days after Russian troops had encroached on their village, Oleksandr's friends set out driving to see if they could source more intel about Russian troop movements up close. She told Politico's Christopher Miller that after they failed to return, he set out to find them.

"He said he would be right back," Lyudmyla told Politico. Oleksandr never returned, and unable to sleep, Lyudmyla set out the following day with her friends to find him.

She noticed his sedan on the road, with the keys in the ignition but no passengers in the car, she told Politico.

Lyudmyla's friend noticed that the trunk was riddled with bullets, per the report, and they opened the trunk to find Oleksandr's dead body. Her friend pulled her away from the car in fear that the trunk could be booby-trapped, she explained to the outlet.

By March 4 they returned to the scene with Ukrainian soldiers.

According to the report, the soldiers tied ropes to his limbs and moved far from the car to pull slowly and see if the car was rigged. As soon as they pulled, the "car exploded in a ball of flames." Russian soldiers had placed weight-triggered mine under Oleksandr, Lyudmyla told Politico.

"Lyudmyla picked up the pieces of the man she had spent decades with and placed them in a box," Politico reported. Later, she buried him in the garden where they used to plant vegetables together."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wait, so where was the Russian soldier?

See what you did there?

Yeah you couldn't make it up alright.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I saw that as well more silly propaganda stuff. It does not take away from the fact that Bono looks silly and it is just as silly. Albeit less threatening. Propaganda is not just one sided you know. In war situations both sides do it. And Bono and the Edge going over there and a Russian soldier thanking them and the UK straight after is like a comedy sketch.

So that is how you debate? If you don't agree with a point tell someone to get over themselves? And not even consider any point I am making? OK.

The war in the Ukraine is likely to be a long one, so Bono going over there is of massive help by engaging peoples/ the west attention, even if for some its cringe.

It seems like cringe is your go to emotion and are a massively cynical person. I don't think that is a dynamic that is conducive to a happy life but each to their own, please continue your festival of inward cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What might that yoke be they used to sit the projectile? Looks like a bit of pipe with a tin can stuck to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Almost overlooked that U2 were invited to Ukraine by President Zelensky (as revealed on their Twitter account). They didn't just turn in Kyiv uninvited as a PR stunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The performance yesterday was part of a wider campaign to help Ukrainian refugees that U2 have been involved in now for some time. This is from back in March:

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy has singled out Bono and U2 praising them for their support for a new fundraising initiative to help people displaced by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. 

The Dublin band has teamed up Global Citizen, the international charity that aims to end extreme poverty, to support the “Stand Up for Ukraine” fundraising campaign. 

“I’m grateful to U2 and Bono for this campaign initiative,” Mr Zelenskiy said in a video posted by European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen on Saturday.

Don't see anything embarrassing about being personally praised by the President of Ukraine for supporting Ukrainian refugees. Is it propaganda? Who the fúck cares. There's real life people that need help though no fault of their own.

Some guy 3,000 km away accidently attributed U2 to the UK in probably his third language? So what? In your post above, you described him as "the Russian soldier"! He (Taras Topolia) is famous Ukrainian singer! I know which I think is the worse mistake, given the current circumstances.

I really hope we shed this adolescent inferiority complex soon, where everything that any of us to do that stands out in any way is "OMG, mom! Stop it! It's cringe! You're ruining my life!". There's a bigger picture to take into account, and it's time to be adults about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Is this artillery hitting a moving target successfully? One of the vehicles seems to be going at a decent clip. I can't fathom that accuracy if it was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I have ukranian refugees looked after.

You do in your hoop.

I really hope they have ear plugs ! I was watching some ww2 footage last night and they were making that same motion of hands over the ears, I would have assumed ear plugs had made that a thing of the past....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

5 years ago today, Putler's surrogate checking on their asset:

I appreciate that he is a private citizen. But he is from Ireland and an Irish person I feel embarrassed watching him. And yes it is propaganda let's call it for what it is. Bono is being used for Propaganda.

If the UK invaded Ireland that Ukrainian soldier will be very confused as he seemed to imply - U2 - UK . No mention of the Irish people.

Bono can do what he likes but it was embarrassing stuff. It did appear like a comedy sketch. And the thanking Boris bit from the soldier after thanking the people of the UK. That was the bit that made it even seem more odd. With Bono leading the applause. Bono well intentioned but Naive as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭jmreire

If that's the plan, another "friend" to block veto busting, he's making a very big mistake picking Serbia.. they will support Russia each and every time...if he or anyone else thinks Hungary is "difficult" ,,,,,,you ain't seen nuthin yet!!" The Serbs have not or will not forget in a hurry the NATO bombing of Serbia for 78 days in 1999, when the only support they had was Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I need to quote this again so it won't get buried in an avalanche of **** posted by some sanctimonious baxtard who wants to drown the discussion with irrelevancies. Typical troll/bot move.

Thanks for keeping it relevant and this is pretty terrible. I hope the perpetrators are brought to justice. This is what it's all about, not pages of blowing smoke about Bono.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Yes, it was the life belt that kept them afloat until heavier help arrived.

I really do think that Ben Wallace is both capable and sincere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement