Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jabeur Muguruza is a good match.

Thats some botox on the umpire!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

The exact same thought occurred to me about an hour ago.

Jabeur breaks right at the start of the final set, Mug really has to knuckle down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

The correct spelling is 'buttocks'

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Whatever she's done to her face it's horrendous. She was a real stunner, a natural beauty. Looks way too plastic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

What a hold that! Jabeur 4/24 on bps now. Still a break up though, huge game coming up.

• Advertisement

What a hold that! Jabeur 4/24 on bps now. Still a break up though, huge game coming up.
    If she doesn't win, that will probably be a huge turning point. She will get very nervous if she gets close to the win, so a double break would have helped.

Great match here .... it's these times I feel the ladies deserve equal pay - at least a lot more than womens football anyway

Jabeur has really worn Mug down, confidence gone up a notch this set. Gets so much out of her game, with a relative lack of power, reminds me quite a bit of Sanchez Vicario, not just how she plays but way she moves too, a relentless ball of energy. Hope she follows this up, assuming she gets it Some!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's lovely to see a game that doesn't rely totally on power - the skill and range of shots by Jabeur is incredible!

That last drop shot from the baseline was a joy to watch!

Jabeur gets it done. That was some performance. She's always had that game, but struggled to play at this level.

• Advertisement

Just realising it's Swiatek up next. If she produces that level and can be a bit more clinical on big points, i give her every chance.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sad Muguruza lost, but really looking forward to Jabeur-Swiatek. No football clash that day either so I'll be watching it in full.

Djokovic swigging some wine there ....

I'm not mad about John McEnroe as a commentator usually, but it's great to have him doing the Evans-Korda match as a break from the usual Brit player adoration. A bit of Yank admiration is nice to hear!!

Kudla threw away the opening that Djokovic gave him there in the tie-break

Good final rally point

Another one bites the dust

This Korda young fella is a really gorgeous player.

Both getting a bit nervy now, though.

klr87 wrote: »
    Jabeur gets it done. That was some performance. She's always had that game, but struggled to play at this level.

including a quick barf on match point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Dan Evans coming across as rather unlikeable, but maybe I'm being harsh.

Korda at only 20 could have a good career ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Dave0301 wrote: »

Yeah always comes across like that sadly.

He has a nice game so at least he is ok to watch.

Dave0301 wrote: »

Too much shouting to himself and he looks like the Hancock guy who had to resign for a dodgy love game.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    including a quick barf on match point!
    Apparently, it's not the first or even the second time she's chucked up on court.

The "dream team" of Venus Williams and Nick Kyrgios just won their first round of mixed doubles in front of a raucous crowd, 7-5 in the 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Augme

Murray really needs this first set. He still won't win, but makes it a bit more of a contest at least. Shapalov just fell over the line and won it though. Should be done in 3 from here.

Shapo was doing a great audition for a job in the glass bottling plant there near the end of the set there but eventually took it.

Some of his serves are absolutely miles out.

Only 42% FSI I see.

Murray looks bollixed after that set (and why wouldn't he be!).

Shapovalov just looks fired up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Floppybits

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm not mad about John McEnroe as a commentator usually, but it's great to have him doing the Evans-Korda match as a break from the usual Brit player adoration. A bit of Yank admiration is nice to hear!!

It drives me mad when the commentators keep going on about the British number 1 or 2 or whatever is playing the worlds number 120th player. As if the British ranking was superior to the world ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭Augme

Match could well be over before they can try the old roof trick.

Football might be coming home but Murray is definitely going home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It's all one way traffic now.

• Advertisement

The scoreline could be a bit closer, if Murray had taken more than just one of his break points, especially at 4-5 in the first and 4-1 in the second. And to be honest, he's at times played a good bit better than in the first two matches. But nothing can obscure just how much better Shapovalov has been overall.

Advertisement